The X3 Online / Multiplayer FAQ

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SinisterDeath
x4

Post by SinisterDeath » Thu, 10. Sep 09, 03:55

the issue of SETA always comes up. However its not just a massive problem, but it just illistrate game changes that need to be make. SETA is just one of many things that need to change, althou SETA is one of the easier changes
Aye, like dieing. it works in a single player game, you can load when you die... multiplayer though, that kinda hard-core thing would just... suck. They'd basically have to have an SWG clone system going... and some kinda credit penalty on death.

irR4tiOn4L
x3tc

Post by irR4tiOn4L » Thu, 10. Sep 09, 10:18

SinisterDeath wrote:
the issue of SETA always comes up. However its not just a massive problem, but it just illistrate game changes that need to be make. SETA is just one of many things that need to change, althou SETA is one of the easier changes
Aye, like dieing. it works in a single player game, you can load when you die... multiplayer though, that kinda hard-core thing would just... suck. They'd basically have to have an SWG clone system going... and some kinda credit penalty on death.
Actually thats easy enough; 'salvage insurance' saves your ship and its cargo and when you die its automatically reloaded. This could be extended to IS ships or even general assets without too much difficulty

Look, you guys are missing the Elephant in the room; Netcode. Anything else is just a footnote in terms of work that must be devoted

Son of Hermes

Post by Son of Hermes » Tue, 4. May 10, 08:54

I really do understand how hard it would be to create an X3 multiplayer, and I do sympathize with the folks who are dead set against mmo/MP games because they seem to be so previlent, however, I am one of those people who really enjoy space flight sims, and especially if I can get online and run protection for my friend (who lives down the street) while he makes cargo runs, I like the idea of factions or guilds or whatever you want to call it, the pooling of money and resources, and things like that. I am myself a pretty good combat sim pilot, and my friend has the head for business. Just think it would be fun to be able to play together and make more fun.

finnen78
x3tc

Post by finnen78 » Tue, 4. May 10, 18:11

Very interesting reading.
Although... some elements i have already played in an MMO. Well... instead of S.E.T.A. u could use jumpdrive... instead of jumping from sector to sector... u coul jump from place to place in the sector. but as i said... all this trading & building and fighting has already been realized, and i played this MMO quite some time... i just got bored of it because when u reached some sectors there where always some a-hole there with a trigger happy finger and sometimes u couldnt even do what ya fancy in a "safe" sector either. :P

well... of course... the game im talking about is EVE. if i would compare these 2 games... id still go for X3 on the build think fight explore note. but on the other hand EVE has this massive universe... u could travel it for a week and still not be in every sector. but make sure ur armed to the teeth, not just NPC's wana kill u there. and some do nothing but PK wich can be anoying. biggest anoyance are the "gate campers" :P shoot u as soon as u get in system, they dont give u time to even react to them. on that note... i never got to see any of the places they advertised or ride the all the best ships.

In X3... only the Xenon seem to point ur guns & shoot at u as soon as u get in system, but at least if u got enough shields & armor u got time to scram before they get to close or get to many lucky shots. and u can always come back if u got enough credits :)

so... my final vote is.. GO X-UNIVERSE!! :D Wouldnt want it any other way than it is. :D
Knowledge is not worth shit, If you do not share it with others

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Tue, 11. May 10, 11:54

LOL EVE... only problem I ever found was... the combat system is too... well... uneventful... point at your target click your target then press the key you have all your turrets on and watch your ship blast away... EVE isn't for those who like fast paced, on the edge of your seat battles. This game on the other hand is for that type of player. Best game I could describe that is similar to X3 is Vendetta Online... only difference is... I don't think you can build your own stations and such. It would be interesting to say the least though to see a MMO version of the X-Universe come out... already has killer graphics, has the player base willing to support it. Though they'd have to update the graphics system a bit though... in the terms of CPU's. That's the only issue I've heard about with X3

NavaCorp
x3tc

Post by NavaCorp » Sun, 30. May 10, 18:16

Requiemfang wrote:Best game I could describe that is similar to X3 is Vendetta Online... only difference is... I don't think you can build your own stations and such.
Reading what is written in the news for the patches 1.8.116/1.8.117/1.8.120/1.8.125, it seems that the players can conquer some stations.

http://www.vendetta-online.com/h/news.html

The developers of Vendetta Online are a very small company too (4 people), so there's hope for Egosoft to make their online game. :)

http://www.vendetta-online.com/h/faq_general.html#who

k9z56t

Post by k9z56t » Mon, 21. Jun 10, 16:49

Fixing death issue isn't that hard. Create ship captains like marines. It should have stats affecting their performance. When u get your ship destroyed only that captain would die.

@ Of topic : By the way i don't understans how our character flies ships like M1 alone without personel except marines. In m opinion we need to train crew to fly ships like that.

daimond
x3

Post by daimond » Thu, 23. Dec 10, 12:24

Planets to land on? Make it First Person Perspective, it would be massive, 'Walk onto ship, get into cockpit, fly ship. Land on planet, get out of ship, shoot things. Board Capital Ship, shoot baddies, head for bridge, take over ship.' Mmmmmm, oh yeh!
Hurry up and take your time.

KWAiRT
x4

Post by KWAiRT » Fri, 24. Dec 10, 01:06

I love the scale of EVE. I only wish X3 was on that kind of scale. Would also be nice to have 64 player dedicated server software like Freelancer with server side player files.

Let the server do the work for the clients to have fun in their sandbox universe. To hell with an MMO which would only mean more performance issues, network issues, and farmers. I would much rather have a giant sandbox mode like Freelancer with dedicated multiplayer support for public and private servers/communities alike.

jardail
x4

Post by jardail » Fri, 1. Jul 11, 23:50

Personally I wouldn't want it in an MMO format, it would destroy the game and it's fun rather quickly.

But adding the ability to have a client/server app so that people could team up and play on a network would be great. Even over the internet.

I have a few people who also play the game that are interested in having that kind of functionality.

For those that don't wish to play it, it wouldn't be forced. But for those of us who would like to have LAN or Internet connection ability, it would be a nice to have option.

SmackinJuice
x3tc

Post by SmackinJuice » Mon, 1. Aug 11, 22:59

Only reason i'm creating this thread, despite all the hate of online. Is that i think it should be looked differently then other games online.

I think people should stop thinking of online as another MMO, or just random online environment.

Online would be GREAT with friends YOU KNOW.

Online shouldn't be just a join someone random universe. You would set up say up to 4 players tops, you all jump on, host creates a room; everyone gets invited in with IP address or whatever (friend invite with steam!).

Spoiler
OR when host creates a room, it will give him a 10 digit code with letters/numbers. he then passes that code out to his friends and they type it into a a spot when they click on join game. Of course host can kick players just in case someone randomly types letters in there all day lol.

This would take out the frustration of figuring out your ip address for people with routers that make the process confusing.
Spoiler

Online would also have it's own set of starts, that would be different from single play.

Say a start with 1 of each race, with roughly same version of each ship for that race and 5000 credits each. There could be options to adjust the amount of credits at the start.

This universe will only now be playable is those same 4 people join again and load the game from the universe save.

That's why for the most part it would only be up to 4, and most people will just be doing this with 1 friend as it would be easier to have the same time frames together.

The best part? Each computer can now take up 1/4 the universe in what goes on in OOS (or configure who takes what amount of load in case someone has waaaay uber computer).

The game would play completely normal, just like singleplayer. Just you have your best friends picking up missions, and you helping them. Then you can divide the credits among each other.

There would never be just joining random games, or any universe that's already started (unless the fans wanted it enough). You create a universe together, you do everything together. If one player can't make it, then you can't play that universe! So yes, you will need multiple universes going to play with all your friends, and if no one is around? play singleplayer!

As for how to do SETA, Well there will be a new window open, this window will be movable and scalable in size. it would also show 4 black seta icons. When someone wants to use their seta they would press their button and it would show up to everyone. If everyone clicks on to have seta (as in everyone is ready to just travel) then it would be in use.

Again, this would be best to only play online with GOOD friends you know, to enrich the game play. Imagine flying with your best friend both crusing in M5 racing asteroid fields, you could create so many new games to have fun with in this sandbox.

Or going at war with REAL PLAYERS, imagine having M2, M1, 50 fighters, M6, M7, M8 all going at it in 1 sector, not with the dumb ai; but with a real human player! billions of credits in warfare!!!! ZOMG!!!

Also because it would play exactly like the single player, it would just require the coding of allowing 4 players into the universe alone. It may require just 1 host (and not split the loads among all 4 players); it might be laggy for a bit until patches; it may be buggy too.

But there is an enjoyment that comes with playing with your friends, that's why games like minecraft, and terria are so popular. People enjoy playing with friends! but people HATE playing with strangers (some people like it, most people you enjoy singleplayer > multiplayer don't).

Anyhow, just something to think about. A lot of people hate change, you see it in every games sequal, third, fourth release. There are a lot of fans that hate seeing things change (don't even go to the diablo 3 forum; omg have you heard? auction system that involves real money; you could make money just playing hardcore diablo 3 now!).

But in the end, a lot of changes end up for the better and fans enjoy it. I say when it comes to options, more the better. But if by adding in any kind of online would ruin the singeplayer; then NAY. But if adding it was just another option, just another way to play the game.

Then YAY. If you don't want it don't use it. but for the rest, and sooo many more people who buy games based on multiplayer. This would mean more money for egosoft, and more money for them means better X games with funding.

I'd love to jump into X rebirth, and the first thing it asks me is if i'm a casual player, or a hardcore player Very Happy

Casuals $$$$

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 1. Aug 11, 23:10

SmackinJuice wrote:Only reason i'm creating this thread, despite all the hate of online. Is that i think it should be looked differently then other games online.....
If you checked out almost any of the links in the first post in this thread, you'd see that what you're talking about has been discussed ad nauseum, and that your 'idea' is hardly new, nor has it been ignored. And if you read some of those threads, you'd see why Egosoft doesn't do it, i.e., economic reasons. I suggest you browse through a number of those threads. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Wed, 18. Apr 12, 07:25

I'm glad this topic isn't locked yet so i have the opportunity to say, that is mindblowning how many ppl wish to play this game in MP :D

War for resources that i would like to see.
Who has the sillicon will rule the galaxy :D
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Wed, 18. Apr 12, 07:41

I don't really care for EVE-style multiplayer where a crowd of kids get to grief a fairly small universe. But a co-op server like in Minecraft with a few friends would be a great idea.
Where is it?

Nathancros

Post by Nathancros » Wed, 18. Apr 12, 11:34

delray wrote:I don't really care for EVE-style multiplayer where a crowd of kids get to grief a fairly small universe. But a co-op server like in Minecraft with a few friends would be a great idea.
agreed, hence why ive been playing minecraft for over a year now :)
Nullam et arcu vitae magna instabilitate omnia solvit

Am a recovering Addict of the CREATIVE FORUM.

Long live X3

DiArmada
x3tc

Post by DiArmada » Thu, 31. May 12, 15:53

I've been playing EVE online since 2003.
this month I cancelled my subscription for the first time.

EVE started as a industrial game with the possibility of PvP.
of course, pirates have always been a part of the game.
but most people started by joining a mining corp.
in a mining corp you would mine asteroidfields for ore.
in a refinery you can get the minerals from the ore.
with a blueprint and minerals you can build ship/modules.

over the years the industrial part of the game withered.
I know I became older too, but the average age of players went down.
the commercials from CCP where all about PvP.
so EVE has become a griefing experience.
if you're not looking over your shoulder all the time, you'll regret it.

losing a ship in EVE is as expensive as losing one in X.
the difference is that you can't load a previous savegame.

so, if griefing, scamming, backstabbing and being a general AH is your thing.
then EVE is good for you.
don't get me wrong; EVE online is a fantastic game.
it's depths are truly incredible.
it may be so that the universe has become overcrowded.

X has quite a mature playersbase.
once you can blow up ships online, that'll change.
solo play FTW.

and btw, no, you can't have my EVE online stuff.....

edwardecl
x3tc

Post by edwardecl » Wed, 25. Jul 12, 19:58

I think small networked games would be great in X. Perhaps make a massive online database for all users that play that periodically get updated with their version on the X universe or perhaps make the X universe be truly random.

Then add random events or wormholes that you can enter someone else's game world. And if two people agree open a gate system between the universes and traverse into each others worlds when both players are online or perhaps opt for continuing the game in both worlds with only one player online only if agreed.

Make multiplayer missions where you can invite someone into your game world to have epic battles, then make them disappear after you are done.

I don't really see this type of online experience hurting anyone's game, would only make it a better experience.

Add to the fact it would make the game more attractive to potential pirates.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 25. Jul 12, 20:18

Funny how this thread keeps bobbing up and down like driftwood in a fast river. :?

Jaycen_Aelis
x3tc

Post by Jaycen_Aelis » Wed, 25. Jul 12, 20:28

edwardecl wrote:I think small networked games would be great in X. Perhaps make a massive online database for all users that play that periodically get updated with their version on the X universe or perhaps make the X universe be truly random.

Then add random events or wormholes that you can enter someone else's game world. And if two people agree open a gate system between the universes and traverse into each others worlds when both players are online or perhaps opt for continuing the game in both worlds with only one player online only if agreed.

Make multiplayer missions where you can invite someone into your game world to have epic battles, then make them disappear after you are done.

I don't really see this type of online experience hurting anyone's game, would only make it a better experience.

Add to the fact it would make the game more attractive to potential pirates.
I kinda like this idea--I would want to play with my IRL friends, or people I knew really well, but A. Random Gamer, or a server full of them, isn't my cup of tea...
Argon Explorer

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Wed, 25. Jul 12, 21:36

Sorry, the DevNet IDea forum is down, so - because it is MP related - here it goes:

Tldr, but this is my 2 cents w.r.t. online X game, and sorry if this has been mentioned here before (like I said, tldr).

If you play Anno series from Related Design (a German game dev, mind you), it is a single player game with a touch on MP that does not work very well, because of the long time it takes to complete a game, and other network issue.

Recently, they have developped a Conquest/Domination mode (currently in Open Beta), where 2 teams will compete against each other on a "map"/"card". A map is a set of a few missions, each mission is a game in itself (the equivalent to X's game start). Each mission is a mini-game, and each has an objective (e.g. population, cash balance, rate of cash increase, etc...). Each mission has a save game, saved on the server. Member of each team have access to all the save game/missions, but only one player can play in a mission. When he quits the game, the mission save is automatically saved on the server.

I would think that something along those line can be developped as a MP add on to X3TC/AP as follows:

A game consists of a few missions linked in a map. A mission is an X "game start", and consists of a X-map with a few sectors. Each mission will have its objectives, say attain ranks with the Boron (you start at the bottom). Each rank increase is worth 1 pt. Another objective can be the number of ships. Say you score 1 pt for the team if you cap an M5, 2 pt for an M4, etc.... Yet another objective is the number of kills etc.....
In the game map which is a grid of several missions, you have to control one mission in order to have access to the next mission on the grid. At the expiration date and time, the team with the higher score wins the game. The game can last somewhere between a few days to 20 days etc... Each day, each player is allocated a few hours of play, and time on SETA is accounted (i.e. if you have 1 hour left to play, a SETA at 10X will kick you out of your daily allocation after 6 mins).

The server host maintains a "ladder" of points scored by each player.

So basically, it is still a single player game, and can reuse the same X3 engine, but the team sharing concept add an additional dimension that makes the game into a challenging MP game.

if Rebirth does not come out this year (Ducking tomatoes thrown at me), this may be the X3MP game that we can play while waiting for XR :roll:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”