The X3 Online / Multiplayer FAQ

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Thu, 3. Sep 09, 16:54

If you really must know, the X series is a niche game not a mainstream game and Egosoft is a small company as opposed to EA, Valve, & Blizzard (as well as many others).

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 3. Sep 09, 16:58

freddiel wrote:Excellent thread, just what I was looking for, but instead of reading through all these links could someone tell me why X3 TC isn't multiplayer?
The assumption is that if you cannot read anything that has already been written, then you won't read the next copy of the explanation either.

It was not made that way. That is why.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Thu, 3. Sep 09, 18:01

I could be getting completely the wrong end of the stick, but I thought freddiel's comment was sarcastic as opposed to sincere.

"losing a fortune cos me and my 8 mates" seemed a little too much to be serious...

;)

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

freddiel
x3tc

Post by freddiel » Thu, 3. Sep 09, 18:06

perkint wrote:I could be getting completely the wrong end of the stick, but I thought freddiel's comment was sarcastic as opposed to sincere.

"losing a fortune cos me and my 8 mates" seemed a little too much to be serious...

;)

Tim

You haven't got the wrong end of the stick at all. :D
X3 TC 3.2
Bringing peace to the Commonwealth with overwhelming fire power.

Why is there so much month left at the end of the money?

irR4tiOn4L
x3tc

Post by irR4tiOn4L » Fri, 4. Sep 09, 05:11

freddiel wrote:I mean Egosoft must be losing a fortune cos me and my 8 mates would love to play on a LAN.
That you have to buy 8 copies of Company of Heroes (or similar game) to play a simple LAN game is an absolute rort. It really ticks me off that multiplayer has been reduced to either 'online' or nothing at all

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Fri, 4. Sep 09, 05:42

A simple 4 man lobby would be nice however, development costs money and so does expansion. Would you be willing to pay £5 per month to go online such as in World of Warcraft?

irR4tiOn4L
x3tc

Post by irR4tiOn4L » Fri, 4. Sep 09, 08:59

Lord_Dakier wrote:A simple 4 man lobby would be nice however, development costs money and so does expansion. Would you be willing to pay £5 per month to go online such as in World of Warcraft?
Id prefer a one-off cost, but that ongoing cost would probably be acceptable.

Having said that this is not World of Warcraft, even basic LAN play (let alone multiplayer) would involve an incredible amount of extra work and so theres just no point even thinking about it.

Its not a funding thing so much as it would mean fundamental changes to the game that go against both Egosoft's credo among this community and probably Egosoft's stance on game development. Itd be a big risk; no risk, no reward i guess though

rujikin
x3tc

Post by rujikin » Tue, 8. Sep 09, 23:04

I know X3 isn't a multiplayer built game, but what if you released X3 Online as an expansion. You have to buy X3 than the online expansion to play it :D More happy players more money in the pocket
Using X3 AP + All TC plots enabled

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Wed, 9. Sep 09, 00:16

But the point is that multiplayer requires a massive development investment and the reliably predicted returns for something like X3 do not match up to the required investment.

By that I mean reliably predicted as in "This is how much we could rely on getting" not how much may come in as increased profit.

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Wed, 9. Sep 09, 00:53

X3 lan with a couple of friends right after the begining...
1:'where are you guys?'
2:'OL'
1:'AP'
3:'Hatikvahs Faith, 50% hull dmg, swamped by M5'
4:'xenon coresect...dead'
5:'Jupiter, EVAing to Commonwealth'

No SETA?
sounds interesting
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

irR4tiOn4L
x3tc

Post by irR4tiOn4L » Wed, 9. Sep 09, 04:04

Killjaeden wrote:X3 lan with a couple of friends right after the begining...
1:'where are you guys?'
2:'OL'
1:'AP'
3:'Hatikvahs Faith, 50% hull dmg, swamped by M5'
4:'xenon coresect...dead'
5:'Jupiter, EVAing to Commonwealth'

No SETA?
sounds interesting
Rubbish. Start off in the same sector and itd be great fun.

Development work is really what it comes down to

SinisterDeath
x4

Post by SinisterDeath » Wed, 9. Sep 09, 07:34

It would be very interesting to have this in mmo format, or at least online-lan play with friends. Only way to compinsate for lack of S.E.T.A is to boost all the speeds, or make the zones smaller.. Specially in an mmo setting. People are impatient and don't like traveling for more then 5 minutes... Course the game would naturally de-evolve into GTA lets cause havoc... But thats what a bounty hunter system is for!

Does it make me a bad person, that I want to create a lan game, team up with one of my friends, and cap his ship and sell it?

irR4tiOn4L
x3tc

Post by irR4tiOn4L » Wed, 9. Sep 09, 08:40

SinisterDeath wrote: Does it make me a bad person, that I want to create a lan game, team up with one of my friends, and cap his ship and sell it?
Yes. You are a VERY bad man as a result!

DeadlyDarkness
x3tc

Post by DeadlyDarkness » Wed, 9. Sep 09, 14:08

A little off topic, but if you want to play company of heroes over a LAN, simply disable your internet/wireless, then start the game up with the disc in the drive, and get to the main menu. The game will do a CD check instead of an online check. Then minimise and activate your radio again. do this for the other computers and you can play.

This also works for other games, like Neverwinter Nights.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 9. Sep 09, 18:31

rujikin wrote:I know X3 isn't a multiplayer built game, but what if you released X3 Online as an expansion. You have to buy X3 than the online expansion to play it :D More happy players more money in the pocket
this could be very risky.

what if u spend a million to develop the expansion and only 5 ppl actually buy it.

theres no guarantee that lots of ppl will buy an expansion purely for a lan mod.

SinisterDeath wrote: It would be very interesting to have this in mmo format, or at least online-lan play with friends. Only way to compinsate for lack of S.E.T.A is to boost all the speeds, or make the zones smaller.. Specially in an mmo setting. People are impatient and don't like traveling for more then 5 minutes... Course the game would naturally de-evolve into GTA lets cause havoc... But thats what a bounty hunter system is for!
the issue of SETA always comes up. However its not just a massive problem, but it just illistrate game changes that need to be make. SETA is just one of many things that need to change, althou SETA is one of the easier changes

SinisterDeath
x4

Post by SinisterDeath » Thu, 10. Sep 09, 03:55

the issue of SETA always comes up. However its not just a massive problem, but it just illistrate game changes that need to be make. SETA is just one of many things that need to change, althou SETA is one of the easier changes
Aye, like dieing. it works in a single player game, you can load when you die... multiplayer though, that kinda hard-core thing would just... suck. They'd basically have to have an SWG clone system going... and some kinda credit penalty on death.

irR4tiOn4L
x3tc

Post by irR4tiOn4L » Thu, 10. Sep 09, 10:18

SinisterDeath wrote:
Aye, like dieing. it works in a single player game, you can load when you die... multiplayer though, that kinda hard-core thing would just... suck. They'd basically have to have an SWG clone system going... and some kinda credit penalty on death.
Actually thats easy enough; 'salvage insurance' saves your ship and its cargo and when you die its automatically reloaded. This could be extended to IS ships or even general assets without too much difficulty

Look, you guys are missing the Elephant in the room; Netcode. Anything else is just a footnote in terms of work that must be devoted

Son of Hermes

Post by Son of Hermes » Tue, 4. May 10, 08:54

I really do understand how hard it would be to create an X3 multiplayer, and I do sympathize with the folks who are dead set against mmo/MP games because they seem to be so previlent, however, I am one of those people who really enjoy space flight sims, and especially if I can get online and run protection for my friend (who lives down the street) while he makes cargo runs, I like the idea of factions or guilds or whatever you want to call it, the pooling of money and resources, and things like that. I am myself a pretty good combat sim pilot, and my friend has the head for business. Just think it would be fun to be able to play together and make more fun.

finnen78
x3tc

Post by finnen78 » Tue, 4. May 10, 18:11

Very interesting reading.
Although... some elements i have already played in an MMO. Well... instead of S.E.T.A. u could use jumpdrive... instead of jumping from sector to sector... u coul jump from place to place in the sector. but as i said... all this trading & building and fighting has already been realized, and i played this MMO quite some time... i just got bored of it because when u reached some sectors there where always some a-hole there with a trigger happy finger and sometimes u couldnt even do what ya fancy in a "safe" sector either. :P

well... of course... the game im talking about is EVE. if i would compare these 2 games... id still go for X3 on the build think fight explore note. but on the other hand EVE has this massive universe... u could travel it for a week and still not be in every sector. but make sure ur armed to the teeth, not just NPC's wana kill u there. and some do nothing but PK wich can be anoying. biggest anoyance are the "gate campers" :P shoot u as soon as u get in system, they dont give u time to even react to them. on that note... i never got to see any of the places they advertised or ride the all the best ships.

In X3... only the Xenon seem to point ur guns & shoot at u as soon as u get in system, but at least if u got enough shields & armor u got time to scram before they get to close or get to many lucky shots. and u can always come back if u got enough credits :)

so... my final vote is.. GO X-UNIVERSE!! :D Wouldnt want it any other way than it is. :D
Knowledge is not worth shit, If you do not share it with others

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Tue, 11. May 10, 11:54

LOL EVE... only problem I ever found was... the combat system is too... well... uneventful... point at your target click your target then press the key you have all your turrets on and watch your ship blast away... EVE isn't for those who like fast paced, on the edge of your seat battles. This game on the other hand is for that type of player. Best game I could describe that is similar to X3 is Vendetta Online... only difference is... I don't think you can build your own stations and such. It would be interesting to say the least though to see a MMO version of the X-Universe come out... already has killer graphics, has the player base willing to support it. Though they'd have to update the graphics system a bit though... in the terms of CPU's. That's the only issue I've heard about with X3

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”