Xenon?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Shadowbourne
x3

Post by Shadowbourne » Sun, 10. Aug 08, 16:32

BeavelGuy wrote:its been a while since I played the first game...
Spoiler
Show
but dont the Xenon have their roots in the original terraformer fleet sent out by the Earth to prepare planets for colonisation, which subsequently went rogue, and started a war with Earth (which was only saved by Nathan R. Gunne's last-ditch feint drawing the terraformer fleet through a jumpgate into the current X universe, spawning the argon race and the goner religion)?
if so it would make sense to say that the Xenon havent quite realised that cockpits arent technically required in spacecraft, although you would think that anything they designed from the ground up would have omitted them :) maybe all xenon ships are based on the work of their own designers... or maybe Egosoft just thought it would be cool to let us fly them :twisted:
I've never quite understood that, roughly how long ago in years (or jazuras if you prefer) did this event occur, relative to the time period of X2/X3? And why are the goner beliefs regarded with such suspicion, despite the overwhelming evidence for earths existence (The AP Gunner, and more Xenon than you can shake a stick at!)?
Spoiler
Show
Until the discovery of the gate to Earth at the end of the X3 plot.
Do the argon simply not record recent history?
"Can we have everything louder than everything else?"

- Ian Gillan, Deep Purple, to the Sound Engineer

BeavelGuy
x3tc

Post by BeavelGuy » Sun, 10. Aug 08, 16:54

argh so tempted to reinstall X-BTF :) i think it took them a long time to recover after the war, centuries or even millenia (though I cant remember the official number)... and during this time they had to catch up with their original technology which culminates in the X-prototype which is what jumps the main character in X-BTF out to the current X-universe, by chance.
Spoiler
Show
I also have a sneaking suspicion it was meant to have been Earth which built the original jumpgate network but then got cut off from it when they had to destroy the Earth gate, and being cut off from their colonies/etc was what caused their technology to decline after the war
so obviously in all this time history becomes legend and its only the "crazies" known as the Goners who actually still believed it was all true. But you're right, it does seem like it was pretty glaringly obvious... maybe the Argon are an extra suspicious race :P

Poobah
x3tc

Post by Poobah » Sun, 10. Aug 08, 17:19

Spoiler
Show
So far as I recall it had been 500 years between the war and the launch of the X-Perimental Shuttle and the people of earth had not created the gate network, but had worked out how to create gates. I believe they had thought to use the technology to colonise the galaxy and had sent one gate off through space to Alpha Centauri when they discovered other energy signals, belonging to other gates and locked on to one of those those, adding Earth to the network, or possibly found other gates at Apha Centauri. It's been a while and I'm not sure I remember where I read that; lemme check my XBTF manual.

EDIT:

Alright, the XBTF manual says that the gates were made 'through man's ingenuity' and that it took 'over 500 years' to recover from the war with the Xenon.

The story 'Farnham's Legend' in the X2 manual agrees that man could create gates and indeed did create a number of them - several small ones on earth during the testing phase, then one to the moon and one to Mars and finally one was launched towards Alpha Centauri (but would have taken 3 generations to get there). During that time man discovered that a gate network already existed (what they had previously thought to be black holes) and they learned to 'tune in to it' (the gate network) and set out exploring, discovering only uninhabited planets in the entire network.

Not sure that I'm allowed to paraphrase the story so I'll leave it at that.
Lead me not into temptation,
For I can find the way myself!

SVAndrei
x3tc

Post by SVAndrei » Sun, 10. Aug 08, 22:04

Google up Argonopedia. There is a time line there, that explains everything.

Naferius

Post by Naferius » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 01:50

I want to lean more about the Xenon and the wars (X-BTF) so I will go get the game. So far i have played x2 and x3 and never tried the 1st part of the collection. Graphics maybe crappy, but I think the classic game will be nice to play. Is it hard?
One down... millions to go.

ActofSupremacy
x4

Post by ActofSupremacy » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 02:35

Naferius wrote:I want to lean more about the Xenon and the wars (X-BTF) so I will go get the game. So far i have played x2 and x3 and never tried the 1st part of the collection. Graphics maybe crappy, but I think the classic game will be nice to play. Is it hard?
In my opinion its a bit harder than x2 or x3.
Spoiler
Show
You start out with the Xshuttle with no weapons and 1 megawatts of shielding. If I recall correctly you also start out with 1000cr and the Xshuttle has very little cargo space not to mention the fact that its slow and does not have seta installed(at first). There is no sector map or universe map and the some of the controls are rather clunky D: Of course, everything I'm saying could be completely wrong. I haven't played the game in years :wink:
But, imo its still a great game :)

Predator02
x4

Post by Predator02 » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 05:21

From what I've read in the official xenon information off the site kits, they aren't actually sentient yet, but were close to it around X2. The question is, once they do realize what they're doing, will they continue as they are, or go back home to Earth with flowers and a big "I'm sorry?"

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 08:38

Sentient doesn't necessarily mean peaceful. For all we know, once the Xenon become self-aware they might really start seeing organic life as a plague that must be purged from the universe, rather than just trying to wipe that life out as a side-effect of terraforming the planets they live on!

BoodaH
x3tc

Post by BoodaH » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 19:29

In fact, Xenon builds its ships to the exact same blueprint that it 'ran away' with, hence all ships are equipped with fully functional cockpits
Untrue. The Xenon M3 in the original XBTF was a cool looking ship. The current Xenon M3 pales in comparison...

I always preferred the original Xenon ships. They looked more "nasty"
:twisted:

Pirate hater
x2

Post by Pirate hater » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 20:06

BoodaH wrote:
In fact, Xenon builds its ships to the exact same blueprint that it 'ran away' with, hence all ships are equipped with fully functional cockpits
Untrue. The Xenon M3 in the original XBTF was a cool looking ship. The current Xenon M3 pales in comparison...

I always preferred the original Xenon ships. They looked more "nasty"
:twisted:
Why do the xenon ships have fans on the front?

I think they would look much better with out them.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 21:30

they don't anymore in X3. The X2 Xenon were a bit funny looking, though. I'm sure there's some way to explain their having turbines, but I've not come up with anything good yet. :roll:

By the way, awesome bit of technobabble back there. :D I actually rarely keep a Xenon ship that I capture, and if I do, I never hop into the pilot's seat myself. I treat them like bigger, nastier Fighter Drones. Which, technically, they are. Including the K. :o
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Poobah
x3tc

Post by Poobah » Mon, 11. Aug 08, 23:19

The Xenon ships were at their best in X:BTF.
Lead me not into temptation,
For I can find the way myself!

beyer_garratt
x3

Post by beyer_garratt » Tue, 12. Aug 08, 01:31

BoodaH wrote:
Simple answer: Both ships blueprints are installed in Xenon. It just changed which ones it preferred sometime between X:BTF and X3. :D
Q) What do you call an unimpressed Kha'ak scout?

A) A bemusa triangle!

Bazza's better PPC mod! - Makes flying a capital ship much more... satisfying.
Mergelsberg's Transport Drone & my own version. -M3 freighter for TL ships.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 12. Aug 08, 01:56

beyer_garratt wrote:
BoodaH wrote:
Simple answer: Both ships blueprints are installed in Xenon. It just changed which ones it preferred sometime between X:BTF and X3. :D
No, the simple answer is that Egosoft decided to make new models. It has nothing to do with the lore of the X-Universe.

As for the Xenon and the reasons they do what they do, their directive was to explore and terraform new planets. The 'update' that was sent to them was supposed to deactivate them. Instead, in a number of cases, the update was corrupted, and resulted in the Xenon trying to 'terraform' everything they came across. Basically, they're everybody's nightmare of 'robots gone rogue'. That does not mean they are truly self-aware, just that they are very clever, self-replicating computer programs with a one-track 'mind'.
Having an Acronym Attack? See the Ego FAQ. Also now for Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude.
NOT an Egosoft employee.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Tue, 12. Aug 08, 17:46

I've always imagined that the "faulty patch" that turned Terraformer to Xenon was actually perfectly functional, and expanded their ability to self-improve, self-replicate, and to modify and overwrite directives in order to improve them. And, of course, the unfortunate product of this was the development of a highly "curious" and "experimental" sort of program...

In becoming "curious," they reached a sort of primitive "enlightenment" in which the word of Man was no longer absolute law- I suppose because the patch allowed modification of their Prime Directive.

And now, as their program continues to self-improve, self-cull, and self-replicate, the next logical step (if seen from an evolutionary perspective) is for Xenon to finally ask itself, "what am I?" or whatever question is finally logically unanswerable... and bam! Sentience. :D
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”