If you could turn back the clock...Would you have bought the game?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

k.spurr
x3tc

Post by k.spurr » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 19:01

which OS do you use ?
if its windows which is what 99% of computers use then thats the most bugged/unfinished product there has ever been !
just look at the list of patches for that..... :lol:
and you complain about a game that might get patched 3 or 4 times in its life time :?
the hanging in the game is a small problem and not somthing a store will refund the game for
my 2 pence :P

HadleysHope
x3

Post by HadleysHope » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 19:05

I like the fact that a game gets patched, generally it fixes bugs I may or may not have come across and sometimes adds functionality to the game. Old but I ever came across with X3 is the labels staying on screen in the stations, but, they have fixed that.

HH

Goffik
x4

Post by Goffik » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 19:06

If you look at some older posts, you'll find that you are not alone in having problems with X3. Many others are too, including lock ups and CTDs. I'm one of the lucky few I guess, that isn't having problems (touch wood). No one seems to know the exact cause either, which is annoying.

The general feeling on the matter seems to be... wait for patch 1.3, due out any time now, and cross your fingers...

Malcolm (Cyteen)
x3

Post by Malcolm (Cyteen) » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 19:07

Nightsorrow, please post some system specifications and an explanation of when/how the lockups occur in the tech forum so we can try and resolve this issue.

Ive never had any lockups myself.

Cyteen out
“What is the meaning of it, Watson?” said Holmes solemnly as he laid down the paper. “What object is served by this circle of misery and violence and fear? It must tend to some end, or else our universe is ruled by chance, which is unthinkable. But what end?"

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 19:47

I bought it and am happy with it - so I would keep it.

There are some bugs but no biggies, for me the improvements over X2 are great (combat, economy, graphics) and some of the missing features like mobile mining I don't miss anyway - but I guess they will be patched in soon (tm)
"I find your lack of belief in the Three Dimensionality disturbing." Mercenary

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

Red wine...the only way to frag

TycHouse
x3tc

Post by TycHouse » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 19:51

I've so far installed X3 twice on two completely different systems, my old system was ECS mobo with AMD2400+ 512mb PC133 ram and a GeForce 3 video !!! My new system NF4 AMD 3000 64 bit mobo, 1gb ram and GeForce 6600GT pci-e video. Both running Win2k SP4, NEVER had a lockup, and only experienced two minor bugs.

Again maybe i'm just lucky ! But i think there's more to it than luck !
If you like the game, stick with it and check carefully your drivers. Sound drivers are notorious for causing odd problems.
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core 4.0GHz Processor
ASrock Extreme 3 R2.0 Motherboard
8Gb memory
2 x AMD HD7770 Graphics (Crossfire not enabled)
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit SP2

Shintai
x3tc

Post by Shintai » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 19:59

Currently I feel ripped off and regret I bought it. Maybe patches will change it by time. But that doesn´t change my feeling about it as a release.

Aimpoint
x3

Post by Aimpoint » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 20:08

the only lock ups i had were when i first got the game and it locked up at the main menu i think when it tried to replay the intro. Havnt had any trouble anymore. What I find kinda interesting is if the game had run smoothly from the start, I would have never checked out the tech support sections about how to increase performance and that taught me alot about increasing performance for games in general not just x3. kinda ironic.

Stonerkrieg
x3

Post by Stonerkrieg » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 20:10

I almost did'nt buy it because of the copy protection.I once had a severe problem with an earlier version of Starforce,and not being"Super Geek",I had to bring in someone who was at a total of 450$. :evil: Only after careful research to learn that said earlier problem was no longer an issue,did I buy X3.
Would I buy it again,knowing what I know now?No.Lot's of eye candy,No real addition,and too much missing.I was under the impression that the signed scripts would make it into the game,but except for Trader MkIII I see none of them included.I could go on,but others have already done so.

AB14
x3

Post by AB14 » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 20:37

No, for £34.99 I could buy Star Wars Battle Fronts 2, Call of Duty 2 etc... which I could play straight out of the box without having to spend hours fiddling around with my system just to make it work- for a bit.

10 out of 10 for the improved graphics and combat but -10000 out of 10 for giving me hours of disappointment and frustration rather than entertaiment. X2 was a great game, spent days playing it from the first day I brought it but X3..... the negative experience I've had with this game has killed it off for me, like the new sector layouts it all seems to be one big mess. Its not worth £34.99 and I no longer think its worth anymore of my time.

spudoka
x3

Post by spudoka » Fri, 25. Nov 05, 23:58

Games like these are exactly why people pirate games. I admit I've downloaded a lot of games, but I always buy the really good ones. X2 was awesome, even with all its problems. There is absolutely no excuse for this game to be released yet. Yes I understand it is a monumental undertaking for a game, but X2 has been out for some time now and X3 is basically just a shinier X2. This game could have only have been tested by three blind retards, at best.

Companies like Egosoft that put out garbage like this deserve to have their crap pirated, and in fact are actually contributing to piracy by pissing people off to the extent that they won't buy it and will ONLY download it.

my .02
An old X2 Vet born anew into X3's universe...

MadMark
x3

Post by MadMark » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 00:21

I have shelved this game untill a patch is out that fixes the game stopping bugs that I have now got after 100 hours of playing it .I encountered the bugs as I got further into the game some that have stopped me playing like double menus on screen that make it very hard to read and now the loss of my ability to use my jump drive because the game gave me all the secret jump locations when I did not even buy any?but took away my ability to chose where I want to jump.
So no I would have waited to buy this game.

Da_Imp
x3tc

Post by Da_Imp » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 00:21

Shintai wrote:Currently I feel ripped off and regret I bought it. Maybe patches will change it by time. But that doesn´t change my feeling about it as a release.
You sure had a change of heart... ;)

Logan Malone
x3tc

Post by Logan Malone » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 00:32

To put it mildly... NO WAY.

If you take out the eye candy, what are we left with beside a game full of bugs, defects, miscodings, errors, etc???

Dgn Master
x3tc

Post by Dgn Master » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 00:48

I Would!

As a matter of fact even reading these forums and hearing about all the bugs didn't disuade me in the least.

The genre that egosoft catter to is in this day and age quite unique amounst the gaming industry with such FTS as quake, fear and doom dominating the industry it is quite refreshing to see a company program what makes them happy instead of falling prey to the greed machine that is PC gaming.

As a matter of fact i bought 2 copies of X2 and when i actually see a X3 in BC i will do the same with it. Why do you ask? Because if we don't support the only company currently making these unique games (i don't count freelancer btw), then they will all go the way of the dinosaur very quickly.

So in closing, if the little setback of waiting for a patch makes you regret your purchase then maybe you should steer clear of all PC titles until they gey their crap together and start releasing better final material. For me though i support egosoft, not because they released a buggy game, but because they are they are the only company brave enough to program in this genre.
Could the parents of the little Argon girl, Suzie, please claim her sealed jar of remains?
She didn't mind the gap and ended up vapourized!

DJSoulJammer
x3

Post by DJSoulJammer » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 00:56

First i have no idea what my original post have to do with this one and turning back clock and see if i want to buy game and what i am was trying to say ,because my original post was not meant about going back and buying any thing .Some moderator move my post in here .

Thx to AL about clearing the point of maybe if they will make any Expansion for X2 ,and that's really sad hear they move on ,damn sad ,less for me enjoying the X2 still and love it ,but ok move on is ok we have to all move on and that maybe my time also and see and find some thing else for entertainment , damn just this expansion pack will be awesome idea ,pheee if i just can imagine make me smile :D :D :D ,how that will be amazing .X3 is ok who like it ,i didn't and that's my opinion even manage to capture some ships and fight a little and try to trade and really i think i am to much in X2 than X3 , even if X4 will be in some future i will wait now to see first demo before i buy game any way .
I don't think diferent ,..... i think same , just in diferent way .... :)

DDM_Reaper20
x3tc

Post by DDM_Reaper20 » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 01:18

At the moment, being stuck in what passes for a plot and being frustrated by the mission, my answer is, NO.

That's taking into account that, when all is said and done, there isn't all that much more you can do that you couldn't in X2, there are the BBS posts that are copies from X2, the few and far in between BBS missions (less types than before) etc.

I'm waiting for 1.3.

Shintai
x3tc

Post by Shintai » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 01:20

Da_Imp wrote:
Shintai wrote:Currently I feel ripped off and regret I bought it. Maybe patches will change it by time. But that doesn´t change my feeling about it as a release.
You sure had a change of heart... ;)
Lets just say I had time to spend and reached the endgame part.

X3 seems to deliver aslong as you don´t have much. But when you start having more than the first ship and abit more it goesn down fast with endless bugs and missing features even X2 had.

Kayden
x4

Bbs Is Broken!!!

Post by Kayden » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 01:48

Well I have come the conclusion that this games BBS is BROKEN! :evil:

I have spent about 6 hours going from station to station trying to get a combat mission or even a good paying mission at that! Only thing I was able to turn up was a nonstop mission that gave me 12,000 (only happened once at that) everything else was less than 3,000 and those were transport missions! This game is not made for those who like combat, just those who like to mess around with economics! Fix this in the next patch guys really! I don't mind paying for games Egosoft, but if I pay for something I EXPECT it to work if you advertise it can do something or next time I will spend my money some where else. I am sure that I am not the only feeling this way either. :evil:

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sat, 26. Nov 05, 01:54

spudoka wrote:Games like these are exactly why people pirate games. I admit I've downloaded a lot of games, but I always buy the really good ones.
Warez discussion is not permitted on this board in any shape of form.

End of discussion.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”