Camparison of X2 To FreeLancer

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Does X2 kick FreeLancers ass?

YES!!!!!!!
76%
Nope
24%

Total votes: 231

Sagan
x4

Post by Sagan » Thu, 11. Dec 03, 09:30

Enjoyed Freelancer, but there's NO comparison between it and X2!!.. X2 beats it hands down just on sheer replayability, let alone a multitude of other features (features mentioned countless times by other posters, so won't list them)

Several things that I wish had made it into X2 (but didn't) and which I think would improve game tremendously!!

a/.... ability to assign ships to 'squadrons' and command each sqadron individually

b/.... Abilty for multiple ships in fleet to use jumpdrive (as opposed to ONLY player.

c/.... Some sort of Homebase of your own (not a factory) mirroring a races' trading station.

d/.... Abilty to take over an empty sector (or one stolen from race/occupants), set your 'Homebase' there, and have game recognize and adapt sector info to that effect!

e/.... More interaction (communication) with, and from, NPC ships and Factories/Stations.... one thing Freelancer did VERY well!!

f/.... Try streamline interface a bit more (not too much of a prob with XT vets)... but will, and has, turned a lot of noobs off.

I doubt that any of these will EVER make it into X2... but I can always dream.. :roll:

My 2 cents worth.. hehe

Sagan :)

PS... DAMN!!... just voted in poll and pressed WRONG one... DU :headbang: H!!

Meant to vote YES... not no.. aaaargh!! :oops:

ZoKHiZ

Re: Camparison of X2 To FreeLancer

Post by ZoKHiZ » Thu, 11. Dec 03, 09:35

the annoying Incredible power syndrome! in FL you got the titan (the best ship in the game) and you where unbeatable basicly, nothing could stop you, and you could take on like 8 of the exact same ship without taking a scratch, now thats unrealistic. as i have heard, even the most powerful of destroyers are actually stoppable, even combined with a large fleet of carriers and fighters and ofcorse other battleships, you WILL have fatalitys every now and then, even if you do have galaxy destroying power :)
M6 class ships destroy easily sectors, is that realistic

Diivox

Post by Diivox » Thu, 11. Dec 03, 11:02

The reason I go with freelancer is simple:

ability to set own waypoints and follow them. in freelancer, even if id never been to a sector, i could easily find my way around. i spend 50% of my time in X2 hopelelessly lost.

freelancer was also a GREAT online game. i can remember the 12+ person free for alls in tau 37, was classic gaming experience...

im sure in the long run, x2 will be better. but for me, a guy who doesnt use a joystick and doesnt have any desire to own one, FL won hands down. the music was better, the environments were lush and immersive, and it just had alot of polish. it needed alot more features, but the ones given were perfect. if they had just integrated capital ships into the game for both player and as regular enemies, FL would have been game of the year.

i like x2 alot, but the RTS/Multiple ships stuff (you know, the stuff freelancer didnt try to do) are the reason im playing. its certainly not for the 45 minute trade runs from The Wall to Presidents in in my 130 kph mercury...

there are too many elements in X2, such as ship speed and volume in goods, that while realistic, make gameplay suffer terribly. i go to school full time and work full time, i just dont have the hours needed to get 6 million for a capital ship. its very discouraging to make 5000 profit when you need 100k+ for a ship thats actually cool to fly...

if X2 just let you automate your freighters without any upgrades to the ship or a home base, it would be great. but from a small-time gamers perspective, it is terribly unaccessible, the total opposite of FL.

Kas6
x2

Post by Kas6 » Fri, 12. Dec 03, 01:05

When I played Freelancer one of the things I enjoyed the most was combat. The combat system I throughly enjoyed, along with the ability to plot your flight path on the sector maps. Fighting in a Starflier taking on all those Police in New Manhattan was fun XD. Those 25 police spaceships that just wouldn't let up... I took down about 10 of them before I high-tailed it out of there :D. But yeah I have only played X2 The Threat for about 10-20 hours now and I think there is a lot more potential for X2 from what I can see. I've hardly scratched the surface too.

singion

Post by singion » Fri, 12. Dec 03, 16:00

freelancer has online play does x2 :lol:
freelancer is highly moddifiable is x2 :lol:

i still like the x2 game but if it was online then sweet,

and why should we have to pay to play if one does ever arrive
why dont they let you host your own server with however many players

with freelancer you cant host your own server free no pay to pay crap with 128 players given the bandwith and cpu..

have a look at this modifided freelancer http://free-worlds.com
ps. i host a server for it

they cant be comparied, imo x2 is far deeper

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”