Drones will not dock

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Shadowofpeace
x4

Re:

Post by Shadowofpeace » Mon, 20. Sep 21, 01:18

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 27. Sep 11, 11:54
"But flying over fighter drones needs a spare hanger bay to quickly pick them up."
Simon, I am convinced you are confusing fighter drones with something else. You do not need free or even any hangar spaces to pick up fighter drones by flying into them. Just run into them with your ship (any) and they either go straight into cargo if there is suitable cargospace or explode if there is not. If you have a free ship dock space then both freight and fighter drones generally used to auto-dock on their own when instructed or scripted to do so. This thread is about how freight drones don't seem to do that now.
Thank you for the clarification and your reply to this issues,
Palidor86

Shadowofpeace
x4

Re:

Post by Shadowofpeace » Mon, 20. Sep 21, 01:21

Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 5. Oct 11, 11:25
ShadowofPeace wrote: ... in v1.4 the drones would enter docking path and dock the same way as M5 ships then would be in cargo bay after they docked.
I have done some tests (vanilla 3.1.1) and freight drones now tend to move to the 'ship follow' position when they need to dock. They head there at normal speed until close, then slow and then inch their way to the correct distance (going from stopped to 1m/s and back - just like Player ships inching forwards and upwards just below docking arms at stations when IS). Eventually they meet the collision envelope and are taken inside the cargobay. I think there may be a conflict between the docking and collision avoidance scripts acting on the drone that causes this tortuously slow final approach. There are no such issues OOS of course.

If freight drone behaviour of landing in docks was there in 1.4 then I think that was at a time that the main cargo-collection role of freight drones was considered broken; that was improved in a later patch. So if we have indeed lost that original docking behaviour then maybe the overall gain outweighs that loss. I hope you can move on and successfully use them as they are.
Thanks for your reply. much appreciated
Palidor86

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Drones will not dock

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 20. Sep 21, 11:21

No problem, even if my replies were 10 years ago. :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”