How do you Train Marines?

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

wolfmanz
x4

How do you Train Marines?

Post by wolfmanz » Fri, 24. Feb 23, 01:49

I have been visiting Marine Training Barracks to, well train up my Marines but unlike X3AP I don't know how this works!
Any help would be welcome

Thanks

Jimmy C
x3tc

Re: How do you Train Marines?

Post by Jimmy C » Fri, 24. Feb 23, 03:17

I'll assume you mean the buyable Barracks station, not the Military Outpost where you can train Marines like in AP. Once deployed, the Barracks produces Marines. In addition to the usual resources needed (shown on the Station's panel) it also needs people, either in the form of recovered astronauts or slaves (bought from the Black Market) Also, it doesn't automatically produce Marines once the resources are available. You have to manually order it to take the people on docked ships to turn them into Marines.

After the Barracks has produced a few Marines, it can be upgraded to train existing Marines. Each level of upgrade adds training for one of the Marine skills. It's either Hacking or Engineering first then the other and Mechanical being the last. Because they know that's the one players need the most! In addition, each level of upgrade increases the skills of newly produced Marines as well. XXL Barracks produced Marines are practically good enough to throw into boarding even without additional training.

Note that I've been using "produce" to distinguish between new Marines produced by the Barracks and "train" for existing Marines sent to the Barracks for additional training. Which reminds me, you need a TP docked at the Barracks to receive produced or trained Marines so that they can be turned around for even more training. Just like at the Outpost.

Here's the thing about the Barracks. Unlike in AP, you don't get free Marines from capturing mission-spawned ships. So, that's no longer a self-sustaining source of new Marines. You may find that you do not need a constant stream of new Marines either, just enough to fully upgrade your Barracks. In that case, you don't need your own Disintegrator Rifle factory either. Just buy enough to produce about 200 Marines off the Black Market. This is important because the only place that buys the rifles are the Pirate Bases (not the Anarchy Ports) Meaning, you only have a limited alternative market for them.

BrigandPhantos77
x4

Post by BrigandPhantos77 » Fri, 24. Feb 23, 18:16

wolfmanz wrote:
Fri, 24. Feb 23, 01:49
I have been visiting Marine Training Barracks to, well train up my Marines but unlike X3AP I don't know how this works!
Any help would be welcome

Thanks
Hope this helps.

This is my training cycle for the life of a marine.

Step 1; Assign slave in Marine Training Barracks. Or buy them from a faction. Depending on your upgrade level of the player owned barracks, you will get no stats with a trained marine, one stat, 2 stats, and 3 stats. So you can upgrade it multiple times. This is the initial (boot camp) training.

Step 2; I send them to an installation. Aladna Hill for me as I stay loyal to Argon. Doesn't have to be Aladna Hill either, any of the military docks will work.
- Time for AIT - Advanced Individual Training. Train by selecting which of the stats you wish to train. Train it to the desired level. Note the increasing cost though each new time.

Step 3; Time for combat training. This can only be done by boarding enemy ships. Easiest targets are Yaki and Pirates. Hardest are Xenon and Terran. Do not go after Xenon and Terran's with anything less than 5 star combat rated marines. Pods are easiest for the boarding part. But look up a how to guide on youtube. It'll show you how it's done.

Good luck. It takes many boarding operations to take a no star combat marine to 5 stars. Be ready for a bit of a grind. And try to match the number of marines used to the max of your target. Missile Frigates are great in this aspect.

Edit--
One last thing, Duke's is a great target as well. You can get all of the commonwealth Missile Frigates from him, plus multiple Zeus carriers. They spawn fairly quickly. Just be prepared to deal with Nemesis waves with his system. I have more fully trained marines than I know what to do with thanks to him. One Zeus goes to HQ for refit, one for recycle, one to the shipyard to earn back my credits.
Peace is a state of mind!
War is absolute!
~ Phantos ~

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Fri, 24. Feb 23, 18:39

I put them on my Sirokos and use targets from the ship recovery missions to train them up. They either die glorious deaths or live to die on a Xenon ship later.
Where is it?

wolfmanz
x4

Post by wolfmanz » Fri, 24. Feb 23, 21:38

Many thanks Chaps!!!

Da-V-Man
x4

Post by Da-V-Man » Sat, 25. Feb 23, 01:54

To train up their fight skill (and I guess also to make some money) I board Pirate TLs, They don't have any weapons which makes it easy to wear them down before firing boarding pots. You can find them in the sectors that contain their shipyards (such as Hatickvah's Faith and Loomankstrat's Legacy). Just kill off any fighters near it, ensure that it's relatively far away from other capital ships, and then board. Keep some energy cells & a Jumpdrive Installation Kit on hand, and you'll be able to jump it out to safety relatively quickly.

Once you get all your marines to 5-star fighting, you can swap a couple of them out for more green recruits in order to train their fight up, while the rotated-out veterans get trained in other skills. It seems like fight is only trained in boarding ops, whereas the other skills require training at a barracks/dock.
These days I mainly just talk to plants and dogs,
all human contact seems painful, risky, odd,
so I stay acting god in my own X-Universe!

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”