Acceptable losses or criteria for reloading the game

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

iXenon

Acceptable losses or criteria for reloading the game

Post by iXenon » Tue, 8. Nov 22, 12:52

I have been playing X-series for more than 20 years (with loooooong breaks, although) and always stuck to approach when the player should try to control as much as one can. And if I remember it right it was kind of possible in X-T and X2 an even in X3 on the very beginning. But after playing a lot in X3FL it more likely becomes your job, not your fun. The Universe is so big and there are a lot of things that could happen, so trying to put everything on the 'right track' is getting a bit annoying. Examples:
  • I do not accept loosing my property except the satellites. If ANY of ships or stations gets destroyed for any reason, I reload the last saved game.
  • I do not accept unplanned reputation fluctuations. If I complete a mission and end with drastically decreased reputation with other factions, I'm going to reload the game as well.
  • As a peaceful player I don't like accidentally kill NPC ships and this is another reason to reload.
  • And, of course, if I want some ship to bail I'll use save/load a lot of times.
I believe there are a lot of other reasons I can't remember off the top of my head, but now I have the impression that all these things are supposed to happen by the game design. The X-Universe is alive and all things and creatures there could appear for awhile and then pass away. That's the way of things, and the way things should be and it makes no sense to try to control everything. So, I'm going to change the approach for my next start and probably have to stick something to like this:
  • Accept loosing ships including M6 if they aren't 'rare' and aren't assumed to be used by player in person
  • Accept loosing Universal Traders and Agents
  • Accept unexpected reputation changes
  • Do not accept loosing M1/M2/M7, stations and jump beacons
...plus something I can't formulate at the time being.

So, the question for community: "What to you definitely accept and what definitely not?" I have feeling most of players usually can put up with a lot of things, but if you lost your Kogarasu then there is no way to get a new one. And what about a TM with marines? Or a single station in remote sector? I'm curious about other people's approaches.

Argent Valcendre

Re: Acceptable losses or criteria for reloading the game

Post by Argent Valcendre » Tue, 8. Nov 22, 23:55

Loosing a capital ship, my main player ship or an universal trader were my criterias so far.

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Sun, 13. Nov 22, 18:03

I used to be similar to your first list iXenon. I think it was partly because loses in TC/AP were so unfair (UT flies into asteroid :evil: ) and so hard to manually replace, but I have backed off save-spamming considerably in FL. The one-hit kills in Out-Of-System combat can still be frustrating, but they can be minimized with Emergency Jump and heavy shields on TS.
I think it makes the game more fun if you try to avoid excessive reloading.You have to put more thought into your strategies and design an infrastructure which can cope with the loses.

The only things I definitively don't accept is the loss of a Jump Beacon, or unique ship (over-tuned etc).

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Tue, 15. Nov 22, 04:29

Well because my fortune was initially built on Nividium and then jump beacons, I don't have any UTs in FL running around to worry about, all my TS ships are either attached to ships or stations/complexes. I did lose one JB in Akeela's Beacon Beta to the Xenon but I didn't notice for ages because fortunately (or unfortunately) the Xenon showed no interest in the complex itself, instead attacking the hapless customers as they came to get their drugs- the complex makes nothing but space fuel and space weed. By the time I worked out why there was no beacon anymore by going through the logs the save had been overwritten long ago. In the end I realised I should probably show my customers I care since they make the long trek to get their fix and are undaunted by a Xenon blockade, which actually comprised a Xenon J with fighters, which was fun to clear out! :D

One thing I did reload for was my Aran (and all the ships docked inside it) being destroyed after colliding with a gate or TOA. I'd been collecting Boron ships for Reverse Engineering and the last few on the list were Atreus-only ones. Given they weren't exactly friendly at the time (their stations weren't hostile but their ships decidedly were) it was far from straightforward. :D

I try to keep my ships out of trouble, having them either hang out at the top or bottom of the gate hub with beacons nearby so they don't have to share gates with the rabble coming and going. Considering most of them are M7 or bigger. The occasional Xenon K does appear in the hub once in a while but because my ships are out of the way it makes a beeline for the nearest hapless NPC ship instead, though because my most powerful ships are there I will hop on board and deal with the Xenon myself :twisted: The field of derelicts is testament to that until I haul them away for recycling, the HQ being right there! I tend to leave alone hostile faction/corp ships and let them pass through, unless one of them takes a shot at one of mine in which case, they get wiped out! :lol:

I don't reload for satellites though, they get destroyed often enough it's just easier to drop another sat in the sector next time I'm there. Even if it's in a Terran sector with its enormous stations messing up where the dropped satellite actually appears! :lol:

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Fri, 25. Nov 22, 14:31

Sovereign01 wrote:
Tue, 15. Nov 22, 04:29
Well because my fortune was initially built on Nividium and then jump beacons, I don't have any UTs in FL running around to worry about, all my TS ships are either attached to ships or stations/complexes. I did lose one JB in Akeela's Beacon Beta to the Xenon but I didn't notice for ages because fortunately (or unfortunately) ......
What is it with people using abbreviations at random if not everybody knows what they mean? Do we all do that without thinking? Is it really that hard to say exactly what those mean?

I find it in my experience so hard that people don't think but just do. For example, not everybody is aware of them, and sometimes non capital and capital can mean completely different things.
Better would be to mention once in your reply the full intention of the abbreviation and then we can understand. So In my understanding, UT means Unreal Tournament... But what did you meant by it?

Ps. (that means post scriptum, that means something like an after word).... but that is common knowledge, I really tried to find the meaning, but I can't find one.....

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Sat, 26. Nov 22, 02:22

Mr.Killer wrote:
Fri, 25. Nov 22, 14:31
Sovereign01 wrote:
Tue, 15. Nov 22, 04:29
Well because my fortune was initially built on Nividium and then jump beacons, I don't have any UTs in FL running around to worry about, all my TS ships are either attached to ships or stations/complexes. I did lose one JB in Akeela's Beacon Beta to the Xenon but I didn't notice for ages because fortunately (or unfortunately) ......
What is it with people using abbreviations at random if not everybody knows what they mean? Do we all do that without thinking? Is it really that hard to say exactly what those mean?

I find it in my experience so hard that people don't think but just do. For example, not everybody is aware of them, and sometimes non capital and capital can mean completely different things.
Better would be to mention once in your reply the full intention of the abbreviation and then we can understand. So In my understanding, UT means Unreal Tournament... But what did you meant by it?

Ps. (that means post scriptum, that means something like an after word).... but that is common knowledge, I really tried to find the meaning, but I can't find one.....
Not really- it's generally assumed when you're posting in the sub forums that you're already familiar what the abbreviations mean, especially when you've been here a long time. :roll: Is it really so hard to check out the FAQs section which lists what every TLA stands for instead of complaining that you don't understand because you didn't RTFM?

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Mon, 28. Nov 22, 19:48

Mr.Killer wrote:
Fri, 25. Nov 22, 14:31
What is it with people using abbreviations at random if not everybody knows what they mean?
This was also hard for me when I first started X3. Acronyms are rampant on these forums, probably because the game uses so many long names like High Energy Plasma Thrower. Acronym use has gone into overdrive since touch-screen keyboards have taken over. No one wants to thumb-type a paragraph. Personally, I think it's best to type a few extra for the sake of clarity, but I do fall into using acronyms often enough.

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”