boarding reward sucks?

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

mediacenter
x4

boarding reward sucks?

Post by mediacenter » Mon, 22. Aug 22, 19:37

hello
i start a new game as a rookie bacaneer
slowly build my reputation among pirates and duke people, after countless hour i managed to build a squad of 10 marines and start boarding big ships
after i managed to capture a carrack and kitted it with plasma beam cannon im now able to board easily m7/m1/m2

the problem is, they never hold any weapon or equipment
no matter how low the hull is at the end

96/88/80/79/50/20 %

its always the same result
0 cargo

if im lucky i get 1 oe 2 energy cell :|
i dont understand how it works, im not a save scummer, but after 80+ boarded ships im losing hope, so i tried to reload before launching the pods, same result 6 time in a row

i require more marines? im doing something wrong? the game hates me?

iXenon

Re: boarding reward sucks?

Post by iXenon » Mon, 22. Aug 22, 19:50

Cannot help with your exactly question, but if you want guns there is a chance to get some of them on the blackmarket. Save/load works perfectly here and if you did "save" in the right moment (before the offer list was generated) then you will receive different list of offers each time. And there is, let's say, a 2% chance to get some weapons offered.

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Mon, 22. Aug 22, 20:01

iXenon wrote:
Mon, 22. Aug 22, 19:50
Cannot help with your exactly question, but if you want guns there is a chance to get some of them on the blackmarket. Save/load works perfectly here and if you did "save" in the right moment (before the offer list was generated) then you will receive different list of offers each time. And there is, let's say, a 2% chance to get some weapons offered.
thank for answering

i know the black market thing, but usually they sell 1 weapon at a time and not always the "good one", to fully upgrade a brigantine i need at least 3 milion years in reloading
i can cargo bay hacker around teladi ships but i really find that super lame and not funny

fun fact my carrack hold only 6 plasma beam cannon (stolen with cargobay hacker) and nothing more exept for pods

iXenon

Post by iXenon » Mon, 22. Aug 22, 20:13

mediacenter wrote:
Mon, 22. Aug 22, 20:01
i know the black market thing, but usually they sell 1 weapon at a time and not always the "good one", to fully upgrade a brigantine i need at least 3 milion years in reloading
That's strange. Does it depend on the trade rating or something like that? I usually have offers with 120+ guns like Incremental Bomb Launcher and in most cases have no cargo space or money to buy it all. So, I buy some amount to equip 1-2 ships and put this weapon to HQ. One piece per time is really about nothing.

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Mon, 22. Aug 22, 20:19

iXenon wrote:
Mon, 22. Aug 22, 20:13
mediacenter wrote:
Mon, 22. Aug 22, 20:01
That's strange. Does it depend on the trade rating or something like that? I usually have offers with 120+ guns like Incremental Bomb Launcher and in most cases have no cargo space or money to buy it all. So, I buy some amount to equip 1-2 ships and put this weapon to HQ. One piece per time is really about nothing.
yeah always find 1 at a time
i never trade anything for now
i stole equipment with agent and installed them only at my hq, my trade rank is very low, not basic becouse a have barter some energy cell for some space fuel/slave/spacefly, becouse my hq overflow with energy cell by recycled ships

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Mon, 22. Aug 22, 22:15

Yes, it's sad you can't savescum for loot anymore, unlike in AP. It's not a complete loss. With Drones courtesy of the new Drone Carriers, you can repair the captured ships to full hull (for free!) before selling them. Then, you can use all the credits you got to replicate any weapon you want. For as much as you can afford.

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Tue, 23. Aug 22, 03:00

Jimmy C wrote:
Mon, 22. Aug 22, 22:15
Yes, it's sad you can't savescum for loot anymore, unlike in AP. It's not a complete loss. With Drones courtesy of the new Drone Carriers, you can repair the captured ships to full hull (for free!) before selling them. Then, you can use all the credits you got to replicate any weapon you want. For as much as you can afford.
what do you mean with replicate weapon?
anyway im doing a full pirate run, i can use only ships/station with "pirate" tag so no drone carrier for me
other than that i dont buy or sell anithing, except for upgrades but only at my hq after i steal them
at the black market i only trade wares with other wares, no money transaction

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Tue, 23. Aug 22, 04:39

mediacenter wrote:
Tue, 23. Aug 22, 03:00
anyway im doing a full pirate run, i can use only ships/station with "pirate" tag so no drone carrier for me
other than that i dont buy or sell anithing, except for upgrades but only at my hq after i steal them
Replication takes advantage of how you can equip multiples of the same model of newly purchased ships at a shipyard to buy an unlimited number of any gun, missile and shield at a shipyard.
But if you won't buy anything, even at Pirate Shipyards, you can't use it.
Do you use the Cargo Bay Hacker at least?

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Tue, 23. Aug 22, 04:58

Jimmy C wrote:
Tue, 23. Aug 22, 04:39
mediacenter wrote:
Replication takes advantage of how you can equip multiples of the same model of newly purchased ships at a shipyard to buy an unlimited number of any gun, missile and shield at a shipyard.
yes, its stealing and so allowed
but its really boring

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Tue, 23. Aug 22, 17:56

mediacenter wrote:
Tue, 23. Aug 22, 04:58
Jimmy C wrote:
Tue, 23. Aug 22, 04:39
mediacenter wrote:
yes, its stealing and so allowed
but its really boring
There is also an exploit that involves docking identical ships at a shipyard in a sector with an equipment dock that let you duplicate any weapons the EQD normally sells as long as at least one is available.

Agimar
x3ap

Post by Agimar » Fri, 26. Aug 22, 09:50

If get a bunch of weapons/shields with a captured ship seems to depends on your combat-rank, the the class of your ship and maybe the skill of your marines.

So, the loot should be better later.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Fri, 26. Aug 22, 13:09

According to the devs, loot is rolled based on a seed generated regularly in time. So, if you're desperate to get better loot, you need to either wait a few minutes for the seed to be rerolled, or capture another target, forcing the seed to be rerolled right away.

v_make
xr

Post by v_make » Sun, 4. Sep 22, 20:08

I regularly get ships with half or more weapons.
Here are some tips:

- You will only get what's in cargo, any weapon mounted will be lost. Some large ships may have weapons to switch, to get capital weapons you need to lure it to use anti-small-ship-weapons, e.g. fly in a ship <= M6 really close to it when boarding. Maybe try some fight drones but I have not tested this.
- You will always get the jump beacon if the target has it on board.
- I am not sure about the time seed. In my case, a save right before ownership transfer will make difference.
Regards.
Mark

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Tue, 6. Sep 22, 19:57

By, "right before transfer" do you mean when the hostile changes to blue but before it changes to green?

v_make
xr

Post by v_make » Fri, 9. Sep 22, 08:33

Jimmy C wrote:
Tue, 6. Sep 22, 19:57
By, "right before transfer" do you mean when the hostile changes to blue but before it changes to green?
In my case it's usually the hacking stage.
Regards.
Mark

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Fri, 9. Sep 22, 14:47

v_make wrote:
Fri, 9. Sep 22, 08:33

In my case it's usually the hacking stage.
That's after the last deck (but before the hacking stage, I assume?)

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 11:31

i found that its more reliable to kill the target than capture it
revelation came from a xenon k that bonk is head in a gate for.......reasons and leave 8 point singularity for me to take

countless m7/m2/m1 captured with 98% hull and only the shittiest missiles on board

vs

exploding high valuable target such as titan and odysseus and collect some of the surpluss stuff they usually carry

its really dumb that i can find more loot in a pile of debries than in a fully functional ship with only some scratch on the paint

bonus
the freaking plasma beam cannon struggle so much to target the odysseus, most of the shot pass under the belly of the ship, you have to position yoursel up or the auto aim will totally target empty space

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 17:49

mediacenter wrote:
Sat, 24. Sep 22, 11:31
found that its more reliable to kill the target than capture it
It seems to me that the weapons dropped when a ship is destroyed vary based upon your combat rank. At lowest rank, I don't think I've ever seen a capital class or even heavy fighter class weapon drop. At higher ranks, I get more capital class weapons than I can use.

Equipment left after boarding /bail seems pretty consistent regardless of rank. I've boarded 262 ships in this playthrough and I'd estimate about 20 of them had decent capital-class weapon caches after boarding. However, I use Pulsed Beam Emitters to fry ship software before boarding and they destroy some weapons as well.

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 21:05

Hwitvlf wrote:
Sat, 24. Sep 22, 17:49
mediacenter wrote:
It seems to me that the weapons dropped when a ship is destroyed vary based upon your combat rank. At lowest rank, I don't think I've ever seen a capital class or even heavy fighter class weapon drop. At higher ranks, I get more capital class weapons than I can use.

Equipment left after boarding /bail seems pretty consistent regardless of rank. I've boarded 262 ships in this playthrough and I'd estimate about 20 of them had decent capital-class weapon caches after boarding. However, I use Pulsed Beam Emitters to fry ship software before boarding and they destroy some weapons as well.
yes, consistently awful

im not even pretending exceptional good number of weapon, but after hundreds of boarding i cant even fit a single brigantine, thank god i can barter weapons on the black market and trade microchip for them (recycled from boarded empty vessel)

ehi boss, look your new ship, cool isn it?
ah yes we managed to keep some cargo, 2 mosquito missile and, you not gonna believe this, 1 energy cell !!!!!!

repeat x 100
its frustrating

now with the kill everything methed i can salvage 1 brigantine worth of equipment in minutes

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Sun, 25. Sep 22, 01:50

Hwitvlf wrote:
Sat, 24. Sep 22, 17:49
mediacenter wrote:

You mean Ion Disruptors, they're what fry stuff. PBEs are very good at suppressing shields but they don't destroy systems. Both are extremely short-ranged which hurts their utility against big ships.

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”