how to capture M6?

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

mediacenter
x4

how to capture M6?

Post by mediacenter » Fri, 24. Dec 21, 18:36

hello
i started a new game, challeging start as disowned boron

i can only steal things from faction ships/wares
no buy allowed except for marine and their trainings (only becouse i cant steal them unfortunately)

i captured several good m3 by now and i really want to step up and catch a bigger fish but the only way to send marine is from tp ships and they get destroyed pretty quick, other than that spacewalk sucks and more often than not my marines get killed on the fly

i tried using a boron skate armed with 8 ion disruptor, for destroy every weapon from my prey but after 20 minutes of zip zapping a pirate centaur i check is cargo and it have almost everything untouched

i dont know what to do, i know i can steal an m6 from returning abandoned ship mission but i think its pretty lame to do that

any suggestion?
im not an expert of x3, i remember the glorious day in albion prelude with my kraken and cobra capturing every ship i wanted including the cool valhalla, but i never cap an m6 without another m6
i dont know what mediaum weapon are best suited for the job and for now, all my tactics result in getting my ass kicked

DanKara
x4

Re: how to capture M6?

Post by DanKara » Sat, 25. Dec 21, 15:54

mediacenter wrote:
Fri, 24. Dec 21, 18:36
i tried using a boron skate armed with 8 ion disruptor...
I think you are on the right track there (imho). It seems your target had a "Cargo Bay Shielding" on board and thus no damage on equipement (FL only).
Always do a CargoScan and probe for CargoHack first before your risk "your life" (meaning waste of time and salvage insurances). :)

I suppose, your skate is only armed with IonD's? Are they enough to bring the shields of the pirate centaur down fast? (Never tried this myself, always 4xHEPT, 2xIonD +turret 1xPAC).

For the target killing your SpaceWalkers I suggest: Either give him some other distractions (fast ships / drones with "attack shields" or small swarm missile [wasp?]) or force him into a standstill (can happen at next to zero hull damage and no equipment [but 1 shield] left).

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Sat, 25. Dec 21, 19:08

DanKara wrote:
Sat, 25. Dec 21, 15:54
mediacenter wrote:
Fri, 24. Dec 21, 18:36
i tried using a boron skate armed with 8 ion disruptor...
I think you are on the right track there (imho). It seems your target had a "Cargo Bay Shielding" on board and thus no damage on equipement (FL only).
Always do a CargoScan and probe for CargoHack first before your risk "your life" (meaning waste of time and salvage insurances). :)

I suppose, your skate is only armed with IonD's? Are they enough to bring the shields of the pirate centaur down fast? (Never tried this myself, always 4xHEPT, 2xIonD +turret 1xPAC).

For the target killing your SpaceWalkers I suggest: Either give him some other distractions (fast ships / drones with "attack shields" or small swarm missile [wasp?]) or force him into a standstill (can happen at next to zero hull damage and no equipment [but 1 shield] left).
the first 50% of the shield go down pretty fast, then my energy go to 0 and i have to slowly lower the rest (very slowly)

marines doesnt damage the ship after boarding?

DanKara
x4

Post by DanKara » Sat, 25. Dec 21, 19:51

mediacenter wrote:
Sat, 25. Dec 21, 19:08
marines doesnt damage the ship after boarding?
No, they don't - but only if they are at 5* (100) in engineering. With 2* (around 35) you lose approx. 60% of the hull on your target in the process of boarding.
If your refer to the "shutdown": that is part of the preparation for boarding, where you fry the equipment from your target. don't damage his hull to lower than 80% (than some script might force your target to repair at next faction shipyard).

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Sat, 25. Dec 21, 21:43

That was in AP. In FL, even maxed marines still cause almost 2% damage to the ship during boarding. It's better than anything else, but it's still there.

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Sat, 25. Dec 21, 23:34

it didnt work

another pirate centaur, no cargo bay shielding, still after 20 minutes of firing (literally) NOT counting the time the shield is up

NO DAMAGE AT ALL

all its system up, no weapon disabled, no shield disabled, nothing

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Sun, 26. Dec 21, 00:40

Ion-disruptor is a Noob-trap for boarding, stop thinking about it now!(It takes time and grills shield speeding up their reg making everything MORE difficult)
you need:
1 a skilled boarding team, 8 marines with 3stars mechanics 2 with 3 stars hacking, all should have at least 2 stars in combat, prefer Teladi Marines for space walk operations(as most factions ignore them).
2 a TM is a good training target for boarding and a good tank for the m6 boarding so board a TM first.
3 if the enemy has too deadly turrets or annoying shield reg, combat drones are cheap and help a loot and they are much quicker to deploy and use than a Iond ship.
4 choose the right target, a centaur is not really a good combat ship and has many turret to shoot at you and your marines and your TP. choose something with much frontal but less turret firepower that helps in further boarding operations.
A Split Acinonyx Prototype may have 3 turrets but they are toothless PAC's, shield can be brought down quickly and it can field boarding pods.
5 some equipment like transporter salvage insurances or a cargo hacker to clear firestorms from blue targets cargo (or spare weapons and of cause ammunitions).
6 3 ships a Tank a dmg dealer(any m3 with hept's works Aamon is probably the best option) a troop transporter(should be quick >200m/s).

The plan:
the TP stands aside ~4km the TM draws some fire together with the combat drones the M3 kills the shields in you personal control.
Once shields are down quickly teleport to TP enter an almost collision course and drop the marines directly in front of the target.
Teleport back to the M3 and keep the shields down for the hull cutting part.
Than retreat all your ships.

Try your tactic on a few TM first, Yaki are good training targets for TM boarding.
I always acquire my first M6 this way.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Sun, 26. Dec 21, 01:16

ubuntufreakdragon wrote:
Sun, 26. Dec 21, 00:40
Ion-disruptor is a Noob-trap for boarding, stop thinking about it now!(It takes time and grills shield speeding up their reg making everything MORE difficult)
you need:
1 a skilled boarding team, 8 marines with 3stars mechanics 2 with 3 stars hacking, all should have at least 2 stars in combat, prefer Teladi Marines for space walk operations(as most factions ignore them).
2 a TM is a good training target for boarding and a good tank for the m6 boarding so board a TM first.
3 if the enemy has too deadly turrets or annoying shield reg, combat drones are cheap and help a loot and they are much quicker to deploy and use than a Iond ship.
4 choose the right target, a centaur is not really a good combat ship and has many turret to shoot at you and your marines and your TP. choose something with much frontal but less turret firepower that helps in further boarding operations.
A Split Acinonyx Prototype may have 3 turrets but they are toothless PAC's, shield can be brought down quickly and it can field boarding pods.
5 some equipment like transporter salvage insurances or a cargo hacker to clear firestorms from blue targets cargo (or spare weapons and of cause ammunitions).
6 3 ships a Tank a dmg dealer(any m3 with hept's works Aamon is probably the best option) a troop transporter(should be quick >200m/s).

The plan:
the TP stands aside ~4km the TM draws some fire together with the combat drones the M3 kills the shields in you personal control.
Once shields are down quickly teleport to TP enter an almost collision course and drop the marines directly in front of the target.
Teleport back to the M3 and keep the shields down for the hull cutting part.
Than retreat all your ships.

Try your tactic on a few TM first, Yaki are good training targets for TM boarding.
I always acquire my first M6 this way.
ion disruptor dont do anithing for what i can see, im not exagerating, 20 minutes under fire and the centaur was like new

i already have 20+ 5 stars marine ready(except combat skill minmum 2 stars)

i cant catch yaki tm becouse theyr sector are blocked for me (if you know how to open the gate pls tell me)

that centaur i was trying to board have only 1 turrets

im not good at all at managing more than one ship really, im very slow to navigate the menus, i have roguey site open now and one ship have catch my interest
pirate blastclaw prototyp can hold 5 marines
maybe i can use this to board

not gonna lie your tactic sound complicated, at least for my actual skill

drones mk1 or mk2?
i need special software to use them properly?

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Sun, 26. Dec 21, 01:46

It's not, you don't navigate menus much, there are 3 menu uses during the OP all are quick and/or have hotkeys.
the TM gets a protect M3 command this is enough. It should draw turret fire not the main guns.
TM's are common, any with >400mj shield should suffice.(there is no gate that needs to be opened to reach yaki in your start)
blast claw needs much better skilled in combat marines.
teleport has a hotkey just target the ship and use it.
you only need to navigate the info quickmenu to launch marines which can be done while closing in with the TP.
drones mk1 and no. IRE is just a cool torture tool, much better than IonD. 50to 60 mk1 can keep an I's shields down for the hole OP and keep all turrets busy.
Just drop them and use the broadcast command feature, you can use attack my target and start them before the OP.
Last edited by ubuntufreakdragon on Sun, 26. Dec 21, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
My X3 Mods

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Sun, 26. Dec 21, 01:52

ubuntufreakdragon wrote:
Sun, 26. Dec 21, 01:46
It's not, you don't navigate menus much, there are 3 menu uses during the OP all are quick and/or have hotkeys.
the TM gets a protect M3 command this is enough.
TM's are common, any with >400mj shield should suffice.(there is no gate that needs to be opened to reach yaki in your start)
blast claw needs much better skilled in combat marines.
teleport has a hotkey just target the ship and use it.
you only need to navigate the info quickmenu to launch marines which can be done while closing in with the TP.
drones mk1 and no. IRE is just a cool torture tool, much better than IonD. 50to 60 mk1 can keep an I's shields down for the hole OP and keep all turrets busy.
the gate in empire edge is shut down, how can i reach yaki sector?

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Sun, 26. Dec 21, 01:55

Empires edge should have a working west gate from the beginning, the east gate is shut down though.
My X3 Mods

BrigandPhantos77
x4

Post by BrigandPhantos77 » Sun, 26. Dec 21, 04:32

Check your range of vision setting and try increasing it. I think he may not be able to see the West Gate. By default when I installed my game it was set to short range. That prevented me from seeing a lot of things until I set it to long range. Short range applies fog of war for anything outside of 10km I think. Or something like that.

When you load the initial start, with Start X3:FL, has the logo, Graphics Settings, Input Device, Screenshot Folder, click on Graphics Settings. Under Quality look for View Distance, and try increasing it.
Peace is a state of mind!
War is absolute!
~ Phantos ~

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Sun, 26. Dec 21, 12:20

i have maxed out that setting but i didnt see the gate, my bad i check again soon

more importantly i have done it :D :D

i managed to capture the centaur in aquisition repository with one ship.........a manta :P
10 marines on board all 5 stars in everything except fight, i have a couple 3 stars there and everyone else is 2 stars
i loaded my manta with jumpdrive kit and 75 fighter drone
i simple launched the drone from far away, waited till the shield are depleted and then come close to my prey and launch marine

the shit have internal laser but i managed to not lose a single marine
more importantly, after i take control of the ship i check the cargo and........it has cargo bay shielding :? :?
for some reason when i scan the ship before i didnt see it

its hidden from scan?
of course the ion disruptor doesnt work :lol:

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 26. Dec 21, 12:54

yes Cargo Bay Shielding is hidden from scans.

one of its main functions is to hide illegal wares from scans, and it also hides itself

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Sun, 26. Dec 21, 13:01

Cycrow wrote:
Sun, 26. Dec 21, 12:54

one of its main functions is to hide illegal wares from scans, and it also hides itself
if you try to cargo bay hacker the ship, after it say that the target have the shielding on board, you can actually see the system after a scan right?
i can swear i see the system after some scan

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Sun, 26. Dec 21, 13:03

Good old combat drone mk1, best boarding support ever, it even increases your time to flee with your prey after the OP if set on attack all targets.
My X3 Mods

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 26. Dec 21, 13:44

mediacenter wrote:
Sun, 26. Dec 21, 13:01
Cycrow wrote:
Sun, 26. Dec 21, 12:54

if you try to cargo bay hacker the ship, after it say that the target have the shielding on board, you can actually see the system after a scan right?
i can swear i see the system after some scan
no the cargo hack doesn't make a difference.

however the shielding is not 100% effective, so sometimes it'll fail to hide anything, so you can sometimes see it in a scan

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Sun, 26. Dec 21, 18:14

oh yes
its so easy now with my centaur, i have already capped 4 new m6 and as a bonus im training marines

no acinonyx prototype so far :(

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Mon, 27. Dec 21, 16:39

mediacenter wrote:
Sun, 26. Dec 21, 18:14
oh yes
its so easy now with my centaur, i have already capped 4 new m6 and as a bonus im training marines

They are out there, however they can be bought as one of the "special ships" offered by the Split.

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Mon, 27. Dec 21, 17:44

Sovereign01 wrote:
Mon, 27. Dec 21, 16:39
mediacenter wrote:
Sun, 26. Dec 21, 18:14
oh yes

They are out there, however they can be bought as one of the "special ships" offered by the Split.
cant buy it, i cant buy anything, i have to find one and board it

its one of the rules of this save

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”