Opinions on new Find Sector function?

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Hwitvlf

Opinions on new Find Sector function?

Post by Hwitvlf » Thu, 16. Dec 21, 20:02

It's mind-boggling how many excellent improvements FL makes to the interface compared to Albion - so many that I doubt I'll ever play AP again for anything other than the plot lines. However, a couple changes actually seem to make things harder and I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same.

1. Find Sector used to search for the beginning of a sector name, now it searches for a letters anywhere in a name. This is useful for split 'family' names, but most sectors require more typing to filter them to the top. For example, Harmony of Perpetuity was "H", now you have to type 'Har'. Legend's Home required one "L" now requires "Hom". I use this feature thousands of times to navigate, so the extra typing and delay can be significant.

2. The "move to position" command now defaults to mouse input instead of keyboard. I almost always use this command to navigate to a station or ship OOS and that can't be done with a mouse click on a 2D map. The result is that I continually have to press 5 to unlock the pointer from the mouse and then use the keyboard to select the destination station/ship. Because of how often I use this, the extra delay adds up.

Does anyone else have thoughts on these changes? Maybe I'm just missing how to use them properly.

DanKara
x4

Re: Opinions on new Find Sector function?

Post by DanKara » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 15:24

Completly agree with the "move to position"-order. Don't know how many times a send a TM to one place (to retrieve a ship...) only to find him later in the middle of that sector (0,0,0).

Regarding the universe map: I still miss the way it was in X3TC (and before). But the "learning" never ends.

BrigandPhantos77
x4

Post by BrigandPhantos77 » Sun, 19. Dec 21, 08:33

I fully agree with you guys. The sector map is a lot harder to navigate now in more ways than just this. Trouble spots are CEO's Doubt/Ianamus Zura and Trinity Sanctum/Light Water areas for me.

In map search I find focusing on a second word in a sector name makes it easier. Treasure Chest(Chest) being an example. Or Sin for Perpetual Sin. And i know not so simple for others. And if you want to jump in to save something that's under attack, or about to be, this is a keep or lose a ship issue now. And let's face it, AI likes to throw nasty stuff at you consistently. Go to save one ship, suddenly, attention, one of your ships is under attack, is like great, now what. And it's on the complete opposite side of the universe in some cases. Then you never get to see it, and only find out by looking in your messages to see what was destroyed. And that's because the warning didn't pick up the attack until it was too late. Thankfully sometimes it's just a satellite.
Peace is a state of mind!
War is absolute!
~ Phantos ~

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Mon, 20. Dec 21, 21:07

I have been renaming the sectors I own with a number in front of the name which makes them quick to find on the Universe Map.

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”