Question about the update

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Sovereign01
x4

Re: Question about the update

Post by Sovereign01 » Tue, 21. Dec 21, 05:07

BrigandPhantos77 wrote:
Mon, 20. Dec 21, 23:16
Sovereign01 wrote:
Mon, 20. Dec 21, 01:33
BrigandPhantos77 wrote:
Sun, 19. Dec 21, 06:04

Be mindful those caps respawn as soon as you personally leave system. I used 45 lasertowers set up as a wall to reduce the population of xenon in that sector. Worked very well, though a K did get lucky and take 2 of them out. I let them chase my springblossom around while the towers activated. Kept shooting at the shipyard. :twisted:

2 of the J's won't leave the vicinity of the gate either. I had to piss them off by sniping them from a 6km distance with a True Light Seeker to get them to follow me into the wall.
How did you set that up, did it work OOS?
The first thing I did was draw off the fleet's personally, let them follow me around sector. The J's actually wouldn't leave the gate area, and ignored me. What I did was while the Xenon were chasing me, I brought in a mistral loaded with Lasertowers and ordered it to Jump to location. I sent it to what I deemed an off the grid kinda safe spot. Drop the towers, 10 at a time, then ordered the transport to jump back to the TL holding everything. Repeat until enough towers are placed, then wait for the counters on them to finish. Doing this they don't instantly gain full shields, so you have to be a little patient. But once I got to a sufficient number of them and the towers were ready. (I put them out in a spot just outside the map area. Then I flew past them. The Xenon all followed me and slowly, 1 at a time, entered the range of the towers. The towers lit them up as soon as they got close.

Qs vaporized really quickly, the Is and Ks not soo quickly. But still, 45 towers hammering 1 ship at a time, they fell as if being pummeled by several capitals one at a time. All the fighters and P / PXs were nothing to these towers. Picked up quite a few M/AM warheads in the process. Also, lot's of bails from L, M, Ns. Brought in my Colossus eventually to let them land on it. Course, had to prod the Js to follow me into my wall. Gotta shoot them for more than about 5% shield or they actually ignore you. lol

Oh, if you leave the system for any reason during this, the Ks and I's will instantly respawn on the primary gate in and out of system. Learned this the hard way during the cleanup phase. And a True Light Seeker will let you snipe a J from a safe distance to get it to chase you. :lol: Just use beam weapons. 6km range.
I was able to clear out the Xenon by the gate using my M7M, most of the ships in the entire sector were clustered around it. Had to do it in 2 goes by killing as many capships as I could with Hammers (Aquilo launched those automatically), retreating when my shields got low. Once I'd taken out the Js, Ks (2 or 3 of each) the corvettes and fighters were easily dispatched while the only Q didn't spawn until later (easily taken out) when I was going to the unscanned roid detailed below.

Once there were no more Xenon ships on my sensors I brought in my Elephant while I claimed a bailed L that was handily by the gate since I hadn't managed to capture one intact for Reverse Engineering and had it dock before sending the Elephant to the HQ with its precious cargo on board. While that was going on I checked out the loot from the destroyed ships. Most of it was junk apart from one crate that contained 5 Point Singularity Projectors, I immediately jumped on those with my Elephant; grabbing those PSPs gave me the Scavenger achievement!

There was a Xenon shipyard in the sector that I was unable to take out, I tested firing all the Hammers I had left which was just enough to take out its shields and no more, so I decided to scan the couple of unscanned roids, the most distant of which was actually made of Nividium with a yield of 19. I did a test run with my Sirokos to the ship (actually 2 as first time unbelievably I forgot the boarding pods because I'd reloaded to a save before I transferred them from the HQ! :oops: ). I discovered that 5 marines are not enough for the Aran (just like with TC & AP) so I'll have to keep training, had a 6th one finish since so I'll have him join the others, I'll try again when I have a few more! :twisted:

BrigandPhantos77
x4

Post by BrigandPhantos77 » Wed, 22. Dec 21, 01:26

Just be ready to have to fight everything again on your second try. Everything will completely respawn in there. I'm beginning the combat training phase for my Marines now. Time to start annoying the Pirates. I got my eye on a Condor in Hatikvahs that seems to belong to the Pirates. And a Brigantine. Next will be a couple more Mobile Pirate Bases. Captured my first, though I think I lost 1 marine on it.
Peace is a state of mind!
War is absolute!
~ Phantos ~

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Wed, 22. Dec 21, 03:26

If it raises my combat rank then all the better, my Sirokos has the speed to outrun anything bigger than an M4 and enough firepower to defend itself against anything smaller so it can run the gauntlet once enough marines have finished their training, I've got 7 so far. Haven't encountered a Xenon I in that sector (or any) yet, I'll probably find those in one of the actual named Xenon sectors.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Wed, 22. Dec 21, 12:21

Sovereign01 wrote:
Wed, 22. Dec 21, 03:26
so it can run the gauntlet once enough marines have finished their training, I've got 7 so far.
How many marines do you think you need? I don't remember how many I used, but I think it was less than 20. Since my original plan was to board with the M6 I was flying, I probably only used 10.
What caused your boarding failure the first time?

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Wed, 22. Dec 21, 16:02

Jimmy C wrote:
Wed, 22. Dec 21, 12:21
Sovereign01 wrote:
Wed, 22. Dec 21, 03:26
so it can run the gauntlet once enough marines have finished their training, I've got 7 so far.
How many marines do you think you need? I don't remember how many I used, but I think it was less than 20. Since my original plan was to board with the M6 I was flying, I probably only used 10.
What caused your boarding failure the first time?
Not enough marines, my first attempt had just 5, my second, 7. I had another go when I gained the marines from the reward ship as cannon fodder to make up the numbers, only being 0-star grunts the damage they caused meant they abandoned the attempt on deck 2. I'll have to try again and only send the experienced ones.

This was after I used the 10 extra guys that came with that ship to make up the numbers to board an Atmospheric Lifter in Neptune, an earlier attempt having failed due to the numbers. The Sirokos' top speed being 210 and target spawning close to the planet itself south east of the gate meant it could easily outrun the Terran ships. Having an 8-gun turret capable of mounting Phased Repeater Guns meant it could take out the shields on the TL all by itself so no need for assistance. Because the 10 grunts only had a handful of stars between them (only 1 had a 3-star combat rank) one guy died on each deck, had to save scum to make sure it was the cannon fodder that bit the dust instead of the 9 trained ones. So for the loss of 5 untrained and therefore expendable troops I got myself an Atmo Lifter that I sent to be reverse-engineered.

Their capacity will come in handy when I start buying XL>XXL upgrade kits now I can afford them after using the beacon trick, going to be going on a construction binge! :lol:

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Wed, 22. Dec 21, 17:18

Sovereign01 wrote:
Wed, 22. Dec 21, 16:02

I'll have to try again and only send the experienced ones.
You need maxed marines for this job to minimize damage. I don't know what the critical threshold is, but I'm sure someone here does. Patch up the hull to 3 above that number, then throw maxed marines at it.

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Wed, 22. Dec 21, 19:46

Jimmy C wrote:
Wed, 22. Dec 21, 17:18
Sovereign01 wrote:
Wed, 22. Dec 21, 16:02

I'll have to try again and only send the experienced ones.
You need maxed marines for this job to minimize damage. I don't know what the critical threshold is, but I'm sure someone here does. Patch up the hull to 3 above that number, then throw maxed marines at it.
My 9 guys were maxed in all but combat, I sent them in without the 5 grunts and they took the Aran without breaking a sweat. One more finished his training while I was en route to the Aran and another finished soon after so now I have 11 :D I sent the Aran to the hub to get fixed up by my fully-loaded Guppy which due to its high hull density took a long time even with a dozen repair drones. Still only got me a third of the way to the cheapskate achievement though.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Thu, 23. Dec 21, 03:45

Repair? Just RE it and build another. Build several.

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Thu, 23. Dec 21, 04:16

Jimmy C wrote:
Thu, 23. Dec 21, 03:45
Repair? Just RE it and build another. Build several.
I was actually going for the achievement, I can RE and make more now that they've reduced the cycle time from a week to 11 hours that's actually feasible. I've started building Atmospheric Lifters, a dozen marines with everything but combat maxed still cannot take one and in fact struggle to board if the thing has the hull polariser installed even with pods and 100 mechanical skill.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Thu, 23. Dec 21, 04:48

Yeah. Hull Polarizer on Terran large caps make them impossible to breach. Hopefully, they don't have CBS as well to prevent you from zapping them with Ion Ds to kill the HP. If you're boarding with less than 20 marines, take out the Internal Lasers as well.

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Thu, 23. Dec 21, 15:47

Apparently the Sirokos can mount a pair of those in its other turret, I'll need to check the firing arc to see if it's facing in the right direction as it's the back turret. Technically I don't need to board a second as I've already REd one and now building my own but it would save on those microchips and give my marines more combat stars.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Thu, 23. Dec 21, 16:51

If you're trying to board Atmo Lifters, and you have the Kogarasu, it can fit IDs in the main mounts too. 12 are enough to cap a Lifter.

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Fri, 24. Dec 21, 00:45

I did recently acquire that ship and fully armed it so I could give it a shot, its slower speed might pose more of a problem if the Terrans give chase. First lifter that I built just rolled off the assembly line. I'll dock it at the HQ for the special equipment I spent all those agents acquiring, give it some ecells and send it on to Getsu Fune for all the other stuff.

BrigandPhantos77
x4

Post by BrigandPhantos77 » Tue, 28. Dec 21, 05:05

Sovereign01 wrote:
Fri, 24. Dec 21, 00:45
I did recently acquire that ship and fully armed it so I could give it a shot, its slower speed might pose more of a problem if the Terrans give chase. First lifter that I built just rolled off the assembly line. I'll dock it at the HQ for the special equipment I spent all those agents acquiring, give it some ecells and send it on to Getsu Fune for all the other stuff.
I turned my HQ and docks into a one stop shop for just about everything. lol... In fact I almost got the influential achievement for the first time.

Hatikvah's Faith is a great place to train combat for your marines. I may have lost it already "combat probably" but the pirates were sporting a Teladi Condor there. Seems like easy pickings even though it's at 1/3 it's hull strength "last I checked". It was floating near a pirate M2 last so I let it be. But I'm gonna take it eventually. Probably pop the M2 remotely with a bomber first. Then get that Condor alone and do my thing.
Peace is a state of mind!
War is absolute!
~ Phantos ~

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”