Ozias

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Sovereign01
x4

Re: Ozias

Post by Sovereign01 » Fri, 17. Dec 21, 17:46

BrigandPhantos77 wrote:
Fri, 17. Dec 21, 16:22
Sovereign01 wrote:
Thu, 16. Dec 21, 19:32
Mining IS the superior shielding gives the Owl the edge, OOS the Mistral and Geochen with their superior speed are better for mining. My mining operation is currently idle while I wait for the Nividium asteroids to respawn. There's a couple of low-yield ones in the void sectors but they're difficult to reach, although I could deploy one of my beacons. The others are located in Xenon and Khaak sectors.
I'm not confident in my boarding ability to get jump beacons. And the Single Use are well outta my range as I have not had rep high enough with TerraCorp. When I grabbed the Aran, I had to reload a couple times as the marines decided when they were done, to abandon ship and I could not retrieve them. The TP I used for boarding, instead of picking up marines, decided to fly towards the gate and ignore the marines. Eventually I will use either the Kraken or Cobra I have now to practice boarding with pods, I only ever tried it in AP against M6's in Pirate Space. Still not confident in not losing the marines in the process.
I'm told that the required rep to buy them is pretty near the top, the Terracop HQ can only stock a maximum of 4. As long as you have the cargo bay hacker and the transporter device you're better off stealing them. The other Terracorp thing that's well worth getting is the JD installation kit.

This thread details how you can get up to 5 jump beacons when setting up complexes by capping as opposed to boarding. All you need is a suitably-equipped Mako/Scorpion as long as you avoid their 'Sentinel' variants (not fast enough).

The Acionyx, Carrack and Brigantine can also use boarding pods.

BrigandPhantos77
x4

Post by BrigandPhantos77 » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 02:50

Sovereign01 wrote:
Fri, 17. Dec 21, 17:46
BrigandPhantos77 wrote:
Sovereign01 wrote:
Thu, 16. Dec 21, 19:32
Mining IS the superior shielding gives the Owl the edge, OOS the Mistral and Geochen with their superior speed are better for mining. My mining operation is currently idle while I wait for the Nividium asteroids to respawn. There's a couple of low-yield ones in the void sectors but they're difficult to reach, although I could deploy one of my beacons. The others are located in Xenon and Khaak sectors.
I'm not confident in my boarding ability to get jump beacons. And the Single Use are well outta my range as I have not had rep high enough with TerraCorp. When I grabbed the Aran, I had to reload a couple times as the marines decided when they were done, to abandon ship and I could not retrieve them. The TP I used for boarding, instead of picking up marines, decided to fly towards the gate and ignore the marines. Eventually I will use either the Kraken or Cobra I have now to practice boarding with pods, I only ever tried it in AP against M6's in Pirate Space. Still not confident in not losing the marines in the process.
I'm told that the required rep to buy them is pretty near the top, the Terracop HQ can only stock a maximum of 4. As long as you have the cargo bay hacker and the transporter device you're better off stealing them. The other Terracorp thing that's well worth getting is the JD installation kit.

This thread details how you can get up to 5 jump beacons when setting up complexes by capping as opposed to boarding. All you need is a suitably-equipped Mako/Scorpion as long as you avoid their 'Sentinel' variants (not fast enough).

I have yet to successfully steal from a station using the Hacker. Tried several times with paranid equipment dock stations. Always caught on the first try.
Peace is a state of mind!
War is absolute!
~ Phantos ~

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 03:42

BrigandPhantos77 wrote:
Sat, 18. Dec 21, 02:50
Sovereign01 wrote:
BrigandPhantos77 wrote:

I have yet to successfully steal from a station using the Hacker. Tried several times with paranid equipment dock stations. Always caught on the first try.
There's a bunch of hidden factors at play with cargo hacking such as the value of the item, how many you're trying to steal vs the total, as well as the RNG. I managed to work out the best way using PSGs at a Paranid equipment dock by initially buying a couple of PSGs from the dock a couple of sectors away and selling to this dock so there were 4, before using the hacker to repeatedly swipe 3 of them and sell them back to the dock and just reloading whenever the station turned red. I got the 100M credit achievement that way! :D

BrigandPhantos77
x4

Post by BrigandPhantos77 » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 08:29

Sovereign01 wrote:
Sat, 18. Dec 21, 03:42
BrigandPhantos77 wrote:
Sat, 18. Dec 21, 02:50
Sovereign01 wrote:

There's a bunch of hidden factors at play with cargo hacking such as the value of the item, how many you're trying to steal vs the total, as well as the RNG. I managed to work out the best way using PSGs at a Paranid equipment dock by initially buying a couple of PSGs from the dock a couple of sectors away and selling to this dock so there were 4, before using the hacker to repeatedly swipe 3 of them and sell them back to the dock and just reloading whenever the station turned red. I got the 100M credit achievement that way! :D
I only tried with 1 item. I think it was a tractor beam. And the station turned red every single attempt. I was testing it. I don't have any problems with stealing from transport ships, just stations. I went 5 for 5 caught attempts and gave up in Third Redemption.
War is absolute!
~ Phantos ~

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Sat, 18. Dec 21, 12:35

Try EBCs instead. Buy, get or steal 16 EBCs and sell them to a Teladi dock. Then steal 10 (the max batch size for EBCs) and resell them. Rinse and repeat. This was straightforward for me. The key is to leave the last 6 as padding to improve your odds.

BrigandPhantos77
x4

Post by BrigandPhantos77 » Tue, 11. Jan 22, 21:56

ex-deathevn wrote:
Mon, 11. Oct 21, 22:04
A more niche idea that I've made extreme use out of, assuming you:
Spoiler
Show
Don't want to trigger Xenon or Khaak spawns by building your first or more TOA
Something I've done in my game is use an Ozias to transport several TS ships to an unclaimed sector that I've test-visited a few times, in my case it's Shining Currents Beta. I have no hostile NPC spawns there without an active TOA connection so nothing has hassled my hidden factory complexes (plural, I've isolated weapons plants based on race) and unloaded the TS fleet there to haul energy from a powerplant station to the rest.
Funny thought to me. I had a Pirate Carrack visit me in Dark Waters Beta once. The only thing it did was visit my equipment dock and purchased energy cells to jump to another pirate sector. It had to cross 4 boron sectors to get to me. Its not something I was expecting. But it's also not the only Cap to visit one of my equipment docks. And it's the reason most days I choose to play nice with the pirates. :D

Ozias now that I think about it is great at hiding contraband that you want to move between stations. Dock your TS at it, jump the TL and have it move next to the station you want to deliver to, have the TS leave the Ozias and dock where you need. Great for moving things like Disruptor Rifles, all the now suddenly illegal "small arms", and of course slaves "ahem" prisoner's with jobs.

@JimmyC - I tried with Terracorp HQ to get single-use jump beacons. Tried for 1 of the 4 available. Caught every time. I've since given up.
War is absolute!
~ Phantos ~

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Wed, 12. Jan 22, 22:20

BrigandPhantos77 wrote:
Tue, 11. Jan 22, 21:56
ex-deathevn wrote:
Mon, 11. Oct 21, 22:04
A more niche idea that I've made extreme use out of, assuming you:
Spoiler
Show
Don't want to trigger Xenon or Khaak spawns by building your first or more TOA
Something I've done in my game is use an Ozias to transport several TS ships to an unclaimed sector that I've test-visited a few times, in my case it's Shining Currents Beta. I have no hostile NPC spawns there without an active TOA connection so nothing has hassled my hidden factory complexes (plural, I've isolated weapons plants based on race) and unloaded the TS fleet there to haul energy from a powerplant station to the rest.
Funny thought to me. I had a Pirate Carrack visit me in Dark Waters Beta once. The only thing it did was visit my equipment dock and purchased energy cells to jump to another pirate sector. It had to cross 4 boron sectors to get to me. Its not something I was expecting. But it's also not the only Cap to visit one of my equipment docks. And it's the reason most days I choose to play nice with the pirates. :D

Ozias now that I think about it is great at hiding contraband that you want to move between stations. Dock your TS at it, jump the TL and have it move next to the station you want to deliver to, have the TS leave the Ozias and dock where you need. Great for moving things like Disruptor Rifles, all the now suddenly illegal "small arms", and of course slaves "ahem" prisoner's with jobs.

@JimmyC - I tried with Terracorp HQ to get single-use jump beacons. Tried for 1 of the 4 available. Caught every time. I've since given up.
You're better off obtaining the normal jump beacons via the Hephaistos complex builder :D

BrigandPhantos77
x4

Post by BrigandPhantos77 » Thu, 13. Jan 22, 01:15

dion_b wrote:
Sun, 5. Dec 21, 18:32
Jimmy C wrote:
Wed, 1. Dec 21, 02:39
Sovereign01 wrote:
Tue, 30. Nov 21, 15:58

I definitely need to get everything I can from the pirates before ruining my rep boarding their ships. I'm going to have to board at least one Brigantine I think.
Stealing apparently just takes multiple cycles of gathering influence and using it. I managed to steal the IBL plans while in Red 3. Now, I have no more need to maintain good relations with them.
How? When I try to steal plans, I can do it fine with race shipyards, but I can't select any of the pirate ones, specifically not The Marauder where I obviously want to steal stuff ...
If you don't have enough points to cover the cost, the game will not display the station to allow it to even be selected. A negative aggression timer is enough in many cases to push the required point beyond what you can collect. You have to wait it out or improve your rep. When you open the diplomacy menu, look at the modifier. If it's a high negative number, that's the problem.
War is absolute!
~ Phantos ~

BrigandPhantos77
x4

Post by BrigandPhantos77 » Thu, 13. Jan 22, 01:30

Sovereign01 wrote:
Wed, 12. Jan 22, 22:20

You're better off obtaining the normal jump beacons via the Hephaistos complex builder :D
Lol, moral dilemma. Its sad, I feel bad for taking the capitals from the pirates. But I guess I could do that.
My last run I was able to grab the Brigantine, Galleon, an Argon Mammoth (loved that one), and another Mobile Pirate Base. I was willing to get the Mammoth via Explorers Guild. But I'll take the pirates one.

Oh and the cargo bay hacker sometimes doesn't feel too terrible, but of course scooping up 1600 units of Nividium from a hauler that got popped by Xenon in Duke's Citadel felt nice. I even did a service to the paranid by cleaning out those dirty Cylon...ahem Xenon.

So with those you have to trigger bail, claim the ship, and eject the beacon before the ship self destructs?
War is absolute!
~ Phantos ~

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Thu, 13. Jan 22, 02:21

BrigandPhantos77 wrote:
Thu, 13. Jan 22, 01:30
Sovereign01 wrote:

Lol, moral dilemma. Its sad, I feel bad for taking the capitals from the pirates. But I guess I could do that.
My last run I was able to grab the Brigantine, Galleon, an Argon Mammoth (loved that one), and another Mobile Pirate Base. I was willing to get the Mammoth via Explorers Guild. But I'll take the pirates one.

Oh and the cargo bay hacker sometimes doesn't feel too terrible, but of course scooping up 1600 units of Nividium from a hauler that got popped by Xenon in Duke's Citadel felt nice. I even did a service to the paranid by cleaning out those dirty Cylon...ahem Xenon.

So with those you have to trigger bail, claim the ship, and eject the beacon before the ship self destructs?
I actually found myself on "second mate" rank with the Pirates so I was able to buy all their ships by sticking to only taking transport missions from Teladi and Split to get agents to enable me to buy access to their IBL and PBG factories, so I've got everything I want from them.

That's what it boils down to. The best ships for the job are the vanilla Scorpion or non-vanilla Mako due to their speed and weaponry, you need to be really close because it's a very short window and the override software has a very short range.

DanKara
x4

Post by DanKara » Thu, 13. Jan 22, 08:32

Sovereign01 wrote:
Thu, 13. Jan 22, 02:21
BrigandPhantos77 wrote:
Sovereign01 wrote:

That's what it boils down to. The best ships for the job are the vanilla Scorpion or non-vanilla Mako due to their speed and weaponry, you need to be really close because it's a very short window and the override software has a very short range.
I beg to differ on the “ship needed”. Actually, you can use any ship you are comfortable with (for hunting M4’s).
Personally, I started JB-hunting in a mildly tuned Maru (approx. 240 speed) and later in a different game with a standard Hyperion. You don’t have to catch your prey! You know where the Sabre comes from (nearest Gate/TOA/JB) and where he will fly to (build spot) so position yourself somewhere in-between. If you are in a slow(er) ship, he will circle around you (once aggro’ed). That might help later on.
[I hate switching ships in space. Because, lazy old hag with a holey memory I am, I tend to forget about that ship left. And much too often that ship gets into unwanted trouble or gets killed.]

The same goes for the weapons used. However, most player (including me) likes to use PACs and/or PBEs. Other weapons (IonDs, IREs, PBGs, CIGs…) I use mostly, when I get frustrated… (and sometimes still get the bail). On Steam a player even suggested the use of Mass Drivers.

To actually get the Jumb Beacon (after the bail happens) you can use the Cargo Bay Freight Hacker (CBH) or claim the ship (best done via System Overwrite Software, SOS) and ejecting the JB. The CBH I used back in 1.2 about 50-times without trouble – until in 1.3 I came across multiple Sabre’s with surviving Cargo Bay Shielding. So annoying!
Since then I use the SOS on a “Flyby-Takeover”: As soon as the Sabre turns blue, point your ship in his direction, max speed (but don’t collide!). Meanwhile select the “Claim”-option from the sidebar and use this as soon as possible.

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Fri, 14. Jan 22, 05:22

DanKara wrote:
Thu, 13. Jan 22, 08:32
Sovereign01 wrote:
Thu, 13. Jan 22, 02:21
BrigandPhantos77 wrote:

I beg to differ on the “ship needed”. Actually, you can use any ship you are comfortable with (for hunting M4’s).
Personally, I started JB-hunting in a mildly tuned Maru (approx. 240 speed) and later in a different game with a standard Hyperion. You don’t have to catch your prey! You know where the Sabre comes from (nearest Gate/TOA/JB) and where he will fly to (build spot) so position yourself somewhere in-between. If you are in a slow(er) ship, he will circle around you (once aggro’ed). That might help later on.
[I hate switching ships in space. Because, lazy old hag with a holey memory I am, I tend to forget about that ship left. And much too often that ship gets into unwanted trouble or gets killed.]

The same goes for the weapons used. However, most player (including me) likes to use PACs and/or PBEs. Other weapons (IonDs, IREs, PBGs, CIGs…) I use mostly, when I get frustrated… (and sometimes still get the bail). On Steam a player even suggested the use of Mass Drivers.

To actually get the Jumb Beacon (after the bail happens) you can use the Cargo Bay Freight Hacker (CBH) or claim the ship (best done via System Overwrite Software, SOS) and ejecting the JB. The CBH I used back in 1.2 about 50-times without trouble – until in 1.3 I came across multiple Sabre’s with surviving Cargo Bay Shielding. So annoying!
Since then I use the SOS on a “Flyby-Takeover”: As soon as the Sabre turns blue, point your ship in his direction, max speed (but don’t collide!). Meanwhile select the “Claim”-option from the sidebar and use this as soon as possible.
The reason I recommended those ships is because they have both the speed to catch the Sabre and the right weapons for getting it to bail. Only the vanilla version of the Scorpion (which you have to build anyway as part of the plot) can mount PBEs, the only other is the Yaki Raijin but its speed is only very slightly greater than the Sabre so is not much of an alternative.

The reason the shield-ignoring Mass Drivers are useful is because the hull needs to be brought down to <90% before a bail can occur, and because a bail check only takes place every so often and cannot happen while the hull is intact you're more likely to get a bail the first time you drain the shields after nibbling the hull first. And because the Scorpion can also mount MDs you equip both and fire the MDs first, only one or two short bursts are needed to get the job done, then use the PBEs to drain the shields as normal. The Scorpion only has enough power to fire two PBEs but it's still enough to take down the shields. The hull damage is only slight but it adds up when the target is an M4.

The other ship you can use is the Boron Mako because it can mount IDs, the enhanced version is best due to its speed though all except the vanilla (barely faster than the aforementioned Raijin) are fast enough to chase, although you will still need to damage the hull a bit using either IREs or PACs before you have a chance for it to bail.

It's possible to use the Scorpion for the first part then the Mako for the second for the best of both worlds.

My method is simply to wait by the gate the Sabre emerges from and engage it straight away, there's enough time between their appearances that you can offload the beacons you get to a second ship without missing the next one.

fireanddream
xr

Post by fireanddream » Fri, 14. Jan 22, 06:36

Sovereign01 wrote:
Fri, 14. Jan 22, 05:22
The reason I recommended those ships is because they have both the speed to catch the Sabre and the right weapons for getting it to bail. Only the vanilla version of the Scorpion (which you have to build anyway as part of the plot) can mount PBEs, the only other is the Yaki Raijin but its speed is only very slightly greater than the Sabre so is not much of an alternative.

The reason the shield-ignoring Mass Drivers are useful is because the hull needs to be brought down to <90% before a bail can occur, and because a bail check only takes place every so often and cannot happen while the hull is intact you're more likely to get a bail the first time you drain the shields after nibbling the hull first. And because the Scorpion can also mount MDs you equip both and fire the MDs first, only one or two short bursts are needed to get the job done, then use the PBEs to drain the shields as normal. The Scorpion only has enough power to fire two PBEs but it's still enough to take down the shields. The hull damage is only slight but it adds up when the target is an M4.

The other ship you can use is the Boron Mako because it can mount IDs, the enhanced version is best due to its speed though all except the vanilla (barely faster than the aforementioned Raijin) are fast enough to chase, although you will still need to damage the hull a bit using either IREs or PACs before you have a chance for it to bail.

It's possible to use the Scorpion for the first part then the Mako for the second for the best of both worlds.

My method is simply to wait by the gate the Sabre emerges from and engage it straight away, there's enough time between their appearances that you can offload the beacons you get to a second ship without missing the next one.
That's bloody genius, abusing the sandbox like no others. My favorite things in sandbox game is to do all these wacky things that are just absolutely not something the devs forsaw me doing, and skip through the power progression like no tomorrow. I was so proud of myself when I discovered marine abduction from sighting an NPC-on-NPC boarding, and I gotta try stealing jump beacons as soon as possible.

DanKara
x4

Post by DanKara » Fri, 14. Jan 22, 08:31

Sovereign01 wrote:
Fri, 14. Jan 22, 05:22
So we do the same ... essentially. With you sitting "behind" the gate, thus needs speed to close up with the Sabre. While I sit "in front" of the gate and the Sabre closing in on my position. You see, no need for speed!
(Don't wanna boast, but I was the one (re-)introducing this exploit.)

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”