What's with the various complex connectors?

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Jimmy C
x3tc

What's with the various complex connectors?

Post by Jimmy C » Thu, 19. Aug 21, 07:52

I'm about to start building a complex, I'm wondering what's the difference between Complex Construction Kits and Complex Extension Kits? And does Complex Hub refer to the join point of the Kits?
Also, I've heard the integrated Complex Planner is inaccurate, so does anyone know I can find a good offline planner?

Edit: one more thing, I still still have the Bofu factory from the starter plot. Should I upgrade it before or after moving it?

Hwitvlf

Re: What's with the various complex connectors?

Post by Hwitvlf » Thu, 19. Aug 21, 11:09

Construction Kits make the central docking hub, whereas the Extensions join factories to a hub. The Construction kits can also be linked to an existing Hub to allow joining of factories that would otherwise be out of range- just like in AP.

The built in Planner works quite well as far as I know, other than when you're expanding an existing complex. In other words, if you add an existing complex to the plan, then also add new stations, the resource calculations seem to get buggy.

The workaround is simply to plan the new factories before adding the existing complex. Sometimes that can be inconvenient, but it's not a big deal.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 20. Aug 21, 12:01

the Complex Construction kit, as well as including the Complex Hub itself, it also comes with several Extension Kits. This allows you to connect multiple stations together in one go. If you want to connect more, then you can add additional extension kits. This allows you to connect lots of stations together in a single action

Da-V-Man
x4

Post by Da-V-Man » Fri, 20. Aug 21, 19:30

Specifically, IIRC the complex construction kit will be able to connect 5 stations together. So if your complex requires more than that it you'll need the extension kits.
Jimmy C wrote:
Thu, 19. Aug 21, 07:52
Edit: one more thing, I still still have the Bofu factory from the starter plot. Should I upgrade it before or after moving it?
Generally when it comes to the food fabs, it's actually cheaper to buy a whole new L-sized station than upgrade it. For instance, the Bofu L station is ~2 million credits, while the Station Upgrade Kit M is ~3 million. The upgrade kits really shine on 1x stations that cost a lot (like chip fabs) and mines (since you can't buy an XXL Mine).

That being said, if you still want to upgrade it (I think I upgraded mine), it would probably be easier to do it after. If you do it before, you'll want to wait for it to upgrade before moving it, meaning the TL has to wait there longer or will take longer to jump back to it if you send it away. Also, a bigger station will hold more wares, meaning the TL/some other ship will potentially need more free cargo space to load them up before packing if it is well-supplied.
These days I mainly just talk to plants and dogs,
all human contact seems painful, risky, odd,
so I stay acting god in my own X-Universe!

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Fri, 20. Aug 21, 20:33

Da-V-Man wrote:
Fri, 20. Aug 21, 19:30
Specifically, IIRC the complex construction kit will be able to connect 5 stations together. So if your complex requires more than that it you'll need the extension kits.
Good to know this. I always used Build MK3 to auto-make a complex so I didn't notice they connected 5. It's also great that the hub isn't destroyed when you move a complex in FL.

Da-V-Man
x4

Post by Da-V-Man » Sat, 21. Aug 21, 00:56

Hwitvlf wrote:
Fri, 20. Aug 21, 20:33
Da-V-Man wrote:
Fri, 20. Aug 21, 19:30
Good to know this. I always used Build MK3 to auto-make a complex so I didn't notice they connected 5. It's also great that the hub isn't destroyed when you move a complex in FL.
You can move complexes? I've never tried that.
These days I mainly just talk to plants and dogs,
all human contact seems painful, risky, odd,
so I stay acting god in my own X-Universe!

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Sat, 21. Aug 21, 04:01

Yep, a cool feature, but kind of hidden. Just add an existing complex to a plan and then select any build location within the same sector, your TL moves the old complex to the selected location. It saved me on a small map where I built a mining complex in a bad location because I misjudged how huge it would be.

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”