X3FL (1.2): Idle ships all over the place.

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

steve_v
x4

X3FL (1.2): Idle ships all over the place.

Post by steve_v » Sat, 14. Aug 21, 12:45

What is going on with NPC ship commands? Several sectors in my game now have 20+ idle transports loitering near the gates, all of them are at zero speed and appear to have no active command at all.
Most of them have been there for hours, and they're rapidly accumulating all over the universe.

At the rate they're building up, this has the potential to become a game-breaking bug in rather short order.

New stuff being buggy I can understand, but these are regressions WRT Albion Prelude, and they're hitting basic game mechanics and core scripts. Where are the patches for this horribly broken game? Has this been reported already? Where is the bugtracker?
More to the point, why the hell did I "donate" for this barely-functional garbage? I thought this was supposed to be an extension to and improvement on AP, so far it's the opposite.

Here I was thinking I had something to play while I wait for X4 to evolve from a dog-slow bug-riddled mess into something interesting... But it seems we can't even get an expansion to a 10+ year old title without breaking it, so what hope is there for the new one?

I had faith in Egosoft, enough faith to buy the disaster that was Rebirth just to fund development. Enough faith to buy the season-pass to X4, even though I anticipated it being barely playable on release.
This is properly depressing. I don't mind reporting bugs, or even doing a bit of unpaid beta-testing (AKA buying any Egosoft game ever), but when nobody is even listening and "no further patches are planned". WTAF am I even doing here?

Enough Ego, I'm not buying any more of your half-baked never-finished games. Not until a) X4 performance improves drastically, fleet AI works properly, and you come up with a UI that isn't insane. or b) You fix FL so I can actually play it.

So, what's the workaround for this? The ETA for a patch? Anything at all, or do I just give up now before the universe grinds to a halt?

Not being intimately familiar with X3 scripting, the only vaguely useful information I can provide is that every single stalled ship I have inspected so far appears to have '!move.resupply.self' as it's current active command, but no destination listed... This script is both new in FL, and sounds suspiciously like it's related to the horribly broken new supply command software...
Last edited by steve_v on Sat, 14. Aug 21, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

Deathifier
xr

Re: X3FL (1.2): Idle ships all over the place.

Post by Deathifier » Sat, 14. Aug 21, 15:13

I just took a look at what one of those clouds of stationary ships are actually trying to do, and the answer is they are trying to resupply (script: !move.resupply.self).

I'm starting to think what we are seeing is a side effect of the v1.2 changes that stopped ships idling in stations (which was hogging docking slots in player stations, like the Hub).
Those ships still want to buy something, and still can't find it, but now instead of being docked somewhere out of sight they cease moving in sector whenever they fail to find a suitable supply source.

I had a quick look at the script and it isn't immediately obvious as to why they cluster around gates, though it may have something to do with whatever is calling the resupply script (for the ones I looked at, !job.trade.docktrader), which might be when the ship changes sectors.

The solution would normally be to create a supply of whatever it is they want to buy, which for !job.trade.docktrader seems to only be energy cells and only if the ship has a jumpdrive.
However the script seems to be supposed to search at least 20 sectors if there is nothing in-sector, and I can see energy cells at the right price well within that range for the cluster of ships I checked.

It would be nice if they gave up resupply and went back to trading, and maybe the script has a flaw in it that is stopping it finding a valid supply source, however at least now we have a better idea as to why the ships are stationary.

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Sat, 14. Aug 21, 15:25

Deathifier wrote:
Sat, 14. Aug 21, 15:13
at least now we have a better idea as to why the ships are stationary.
Lol, I just came to exactly the same conclusions mucking about in the script editor (and edited my OP) while you were replying.

Is there a way to get a trace of a script running on an NPC ship, i.e see where in the script it's waiting or what it's trying to find?

If it is indeed EC they're after, then I doubt range or price has anything to do with it. I'm looking at a cloud of stopped traders, all wanting to resupply, in the same sector as two friendly (to them) SPPs with full stock and plenty of open docking slots.

Aside, I suspect the sheer number of stalled traders in my universe also goes some way to explaining the hopelessly slow economy and all the unsupplied factories I'm seeing.

For extra frustration, if these ships are attacked for any reason they will dock at the nearest station... Then sit there forever, taking up docking slots, stuck in the same resupply task. Fixed in 1.2 my ass.

Ed.

It's not just traders either. I was wondering where all the pirate patrols went, the answer is that they're stuck resupplying as well. Game-breaking intensifies...

Ed.

I don't know if it's related, but here's some more random brokenness:
Sectors with no gates (only TOAs) appear to collect idling traders, all running job.trade.freetrader and doing nothing but flying in very small circles. Many of them have been doing nothing but that for hours.
So far as those I have looked at, there actually appears to be no NPC trade happening in gateless sectors at all... just ships passing through, stationary traders trying to resupply, and idling traders flying in circles...

Deathifier
xr

Post by Deathifier » Sat, 14. Aug 21, 17:44

steve_v wrote:
Sat, 14. Aug 21, 15:25
Lol, I just came to exactly the same conclusions mucking about in the script editor (and edited my OP) while you were replying.

Is there a way to get a trace of a script running on an NPC ship, i.e see where in the script it's waiting or what it's trying to find?
Good that we have the same conclusion :)
I'm not sure how much detail we can get beyond the call stack (the extra info shown on ships when you turn it on in the script editor) and the stack just shows script files, not subroutines.
steve_v wrote:
If it is indeed EC they're after, then I doubt range or price has anything to do with it. I'm looking at a cloud of stopped traders, all wanting to resupply, in the same sector as two friendly (to them) SPPs with full stock and plenty of open docking slots.
Yeah that is why I suspect there might be something in the script that basically puts it in an infinite loop (as the outer loop is indeed an infinite one, and it is supposed to return at some point on success or failure).
steve_v wrote:
Aside, I suspect the sheer number of stalled traders in my universe also goes some way to explaining the hopelessly slow economy and all the unsupplied factories I'm seeing.

For extra frustration, if these ships are attacked for any reason they will dock at the nearest station... Then sit there forever, taking up docking slots, stuck in the same resupply task. Fixed in 1.2 my ass.

Ed.

It's not just traders either. I was wondering where all the pirate patrols went, the answer is that they're stuck resupplying as well. Game-breaking intensifies...
Anything with a jumpdrive that runs out of energy cells is affected.
Since ships with jumpdrives like to use them then it is also possible that the cloud around gates is also because they jumped somewhere then decided to resupply as soon as they arrived.

If you shoot them they will go in to combat as per combat settings - some of those might fight, some might flee - these are probably the same settings you can assign to your own ships.
As for them not leaving afterwards, it may well be they are supposed to be booted out but the script doing it could be the resupply script and it could just be getting jammed again.

steve_v wrote:
I don't know if it's related, but here's some more random brokenness:
Sectors with no gates (only TOAs) appear to collect idling traders, all running job.trade.freetrader and doing nothing but flying in very small circles. Many of them have been doing nothing but that for hours.
So far as those I have looked at, there actually appears to be no NPC trade happening in gateless sectors at all... just ships passing through, stationary traders trying to resupply, and idling traders flying in circles...
Different issue probably - different script, different behaviour. Sounds like they are stuck in an idle loop, maybe they just can't find a trade they like.
Stations in TOA+only sectors seemed to be supplied in my game, as far as I know there is no distinction between TOA or gate or other connection in game terms beyond not being able to jump to TOA's.

As far as I can tell at a glance there isn't much we can do as players in-game, whatever it is has to be fixed in the scripts.

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Sat, 14. Aug 21, 18:31

Deathifier wrote:
Sat, 14. Aug 21, 17:44
As far as I can tell at a glance there isn't much we can do as players in-game, whatever it is has to be fixed in the scripts.
Indeed. As this has the potential to thoroughly break the universe in long-running games (which is kinda the point of a sandbox 'n all), I feel it should really be fixed in an official patch. And soon at that.

That said, I wouldn't be at all upset if someone with more experience with X3 scripting (or the someone who wrote those scripts in the first place, hint hint) stepped up with an unofficial, unsigned fix.
I'm kinda trying not to mod the hell out of the game for a change and I've forgotten almost all of what little I used to know about scripting (also most of the tools are Windows-only, and I no longer have the VM I used to use), so...
Any scripting gurus still around? I'd be willing to fund a few beers or whatever if someone was to take a look.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Sat, 14. Aug 21, 19:13

Have you brought this to the attention of the scripts and modding forum? Someone there would probably be willing to take up the challenge.

Deathifier
xr

Post by Deathifier » Sat, 14. Aug 21, 20:19

I took a more detailed look at the resupply script and I can't see anything obviously busted, though I can see the potential for infinite loops under certain circumstances.

The search sequence seems to be:
If it's a player owned ship it looks for any player station with the cargo it wants.
Then it searches locally, twice apparently.
Then it searches further out up to max range, which when called from the docktrader script is a couple of sectors plus however far its remaining energy cells can carry it.
These searches have a bunch of exclusions for sectors and stations, the idea being that as it searches anything unsuitable gets filtered out until either it finds something or it finds nothing and exits the script.

Each search cycle it asks for the most suitable factory or dock that sells the goods it wants.
If it finds one it checks if it can dock at it and get to it and if it cannot, it excludes it and goes back to the start of the loop.

I tested a couple of things that I thought might get them moving (e.g. build a new solar plant, minimum price cells, lots of cells) but the ships didn't move and the infinite loop would be the outer loop, not something internally (as far as I can see quickly), so the new plant should have been picked up.

One issue might be the resupply range is too small, but it depends on how the calling script reacts if no suitable source is found, and for docktrader it just seems to carry on and so should fly there manually.

Looks like it'd take a fair bit of time to investigate further.

Midnightknight
x4

Post by Midnightknight » Tue, 17. Aug 21, 20:46

Deathifier wrote:
Sat, 14. Aug 21, 20:19
I took a more detailed look at the resupply script and I can't see anything obviously busted, though I can see the potential for infinite loops under certain circumstances.

The search sequence seems to be:
If it's a player owned ship it looks for any player station with the cargo it wants.
Then it searches locally, twice apparently.
Then it searches further out up to max range, which when called from the docktrader script is a couple of sectors plus however far its remaining energy cells can carry it.
These searches have a bunch of exclusions for sectors and stations, the idea being that as it searches anything unsuitable gets filtered out until either it finds something or it finds nothing and exits the script.

Each search cycle it asks for the most suitable factory or dock that sells the goods it wants.
If it finds one it checks if it can dock at it and get to it and if it cannot, it excludes it and goes back to the start of the loop.

I tested a couple of things that I thought might get them moving (e.g. build a new solar plant, minimum price cells, lots of cells) but the ships didn't move and the infinite loop would be the outer loop, not something internally (as far as I can see quickly), so the new plant should have been picked up.

One issue might be the resupply range is too small, but it depends on how the calling script reacts if no suitable source is found, and for docktrader it just seems to carry on and so should fly there manually.

Looks like it'd take a fair bit of time to investigate further.
They are not infinite loop. This same thing happens to capital ships trying to resupply at EQ dock. If you want to have a bunch of Aggamemnon or Cerberus idling at your gate, build an EQ and set Ecells as a low cost good (Or even average) and you will see many just come in the sector and sit at the gate, even if you EQ is full of Ecells.
I also thought it was an infinite loop, but after sometime, they simply move, it only takes really long, hours. So if it's an infinite loop, at least something breaks it after sometime, but i really feel it's not this issue, but really something that takes forever while it should be really fast.
As said if i had a tool to check what they were doing i'll have tried to fix it myself, but now i've moved to something else and i'm not sure if i'll come back to any X game now, that was maybe the "too much" for me. Anyway i know Cycrow have a tool to check what ship execute what script, so maybe ask him for that.

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Wed, 18. Aug 21, 01:54

I noticed that ships keep getting stuck in the same sectors and the common thread is exactly what Midnightknight says: the ships are trying to refuel at docks (EQ docks, Military base etc) and something in the script isn't letting them.

There were 4 capitals in Holy Vision Delta and they came to life when I blew up the military base there. I built a Boron EQ dock in Harmony of P. and ended up with about 5 capitals idling at the gate. When I set my EQ dock to disallow NPC traders, the ships unfroze immediately. You could probably buy up the e-cells at the local dock to unfreeze the ships too.

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Wed, 18. Aug 21, 10:37

Hwitvlf wrote:
Wed, 18. Aug 21, 01:54
I noticed that ships keep getting stuck in the same sectors and the common thread is exactly what Midnightknight says: the ships are trying to refuel at docks (EQ docks, Military base etc) and something in the script isn't letting them.
I'll second (third?) this observation when it comes to capitals, however I've also seen a whole lot on non-capital ships (mostly traders, some M6) clustering at gates in sectors with no docks at all. Prime example in my game is Grand Exchange gamma: There's nothing in sector (or bordering sectors) that has EC except the local SPPs, yet there are currently 20+ traders stalled at the south TOA and they've been there for at least 4 in-game hours.

Be real handy to get a "WTF you up to" script and all if anyone knows where to find one...

Deathifier
xr

Post by Deathifier » Wed, 18. Aug 21, 11:13

Infinite loops can be broken due to circumstances changing, it depends where it is failing.

If we say ok, it is finding a station (as Hwitvlf suggested works, since destroying their original destination makes them move), then what about the next part of the code?

Well a ship moves to the sector of its destination station and, let's say it broke there, it would cause the ship to sit at the gate in the destination sector.

Once a ship arrives in-sector there's a whole bunch of code that seems to be trying to handle every situation other than the ship itself docking (e.g. if it has a freight drone, a docked ship, or something else available that is faster than it).

But curiously the code to dock the ship itself seems to be in the wrong spot.
It's as an else statement to checking if the target station exists, rather than an else statement to checking if [THIS] (i.e. the ship wanting refuel) is not the "trader" ship (i.e. the ship the script has identified as the one to use to get the fuel).

So maybe that is busted, because just after that code block is the end of the loop and thus it doesn't issue any commands to the ship, loops back around and... infinite loop for any jumpdrive equipped ship trying to refuel that does not have something better on board with which to do so.

Though I'm sure I've seen ships refuelling, after all that is what caused some ships to hog docking slots pre-v1.2, so I did an experiment.

I took the else block that I thought was in the wrong spot and I put it where I thought it should be, changed the script version number, loaded it up and...

It works - my cloud of stuck ships in Empires Edge all instantly moved off to refuel somewhere or start trading.

Soooo...
The issue starts at line 222 of !move.resupply.self
The code block affected is lines 222 to 229.
That code is an else block plus the update for amount of energy cells purchased, which also happens to be the on-success exit condition for the main loop.

That 222-229 (inclusive) block should be placed after the "end" on line 230, before the "end" on line 231 which is the loop end.

What seems to have happened is someone has added an extra if check for the existence of the destination station and it has attached the else block to this new if statement for some reason.
As a result the script in v1.2 will never actually send the ship itself to dock and since the vast majority of ships will need to dock personally (i.e. they have no ships on board and no freight drones) we get what we are seeing - huge clouds of ships stuck in infinite loops on gates, in the same sector that their resupply destination is located.

I suppose in a quirky way that did fix the ships hogging docking slots - the primary culprits (energy cell buyers for resupply, at least in my game) will never actually dock, anywhere, ever.

Now using the modified script makes your saved game modified on loading so I'm not going to use it, however if someone else wants it I'll figure out how to get it online.

Also considering how simple the change was, and assuming I haven't unintentionally broken everything else, it would be an easy minor patch for Egosoft to release.
Last edited by Deathifier on Wed, 18. Aug 21, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 18. Aug 21, 11:19

Deathifier wrote:
Wed, 18. Aug 21, 11:13
Also considering how simple the change was, and assuming I haven't unintentionally broken everything else, it would be an easy minor patch for Egosoft to release.
Patches are never a minor thing, it takes quite abit of effort to do everything needed to get a patch ready for release, especially making sure it works correctly for existing save games.

however, this issue has already been fixed, including kick starting all the ships in an existing save.
and if there is ever another patch, it will be included

Deathifier
xr

Post by Deathifier » Wed, 18. Aug 21, 11:36

Cycrow wrote:
Wed, 18. Aug 21, 11:19
Deathifier wrote:
Patches are never a minor thing, it takes quite abit of effort to do everything needed to get a patch ready for release, especially making sure it works correctly for existing save games.

however, this issue has already been fixed, including kick starting all the ships in an existing save.
I'm aware of the administrative overhead in the release process and the necessity of doing more testing to check long term behaviour, side-effects, etc.
However my statement was in the context of complexity of fixing, testing, and releasing an update for this specific issue as compared to, for example, balancing changes, plot and mission changes, achievement related fixes (e.g. for Duke's and their boarding activity), or a combination of multiple changes that would go in to a regular major version update.

Since it is entirely unknown to me and the general public as to what, if anything, is being done on X3FL since v1.2 then I consider it fair that if this was the only issue to be examined, fixed, and released it would be simple in comparison to a major version update.

My apologies if that didn't come across clearly earlier, and great to hear you've already identified and fixed this issue.

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Wed, 18. Aug 21, 13:30

Cycrow wrote:
Wed, 18. Aug 21, 11:19
this issue has already been fixed, including kick starting all the ships in an existing save.
Since it sounds like you have the fix ready to go, do you think you could upload it somewhere so I an unbork my game? Pretty please?
*modified* beats the hell out of the current situation.
Deathifier wrote:
if someone else wants it I'll figure out how to get it online.
Absolutely. I've already given up on an unmodified playthrough due to bugs, and this one is top of the list.
Cycrow's comment sounds like there's something slightly more "official" around somewhere, but I'll take whatever I can get. Granted I can probably sort it myself now that we know what's going on, but if you've got something you've at least slightly tested I'd consider that preferable.

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Wed, 18. Aug 21, 17:23

It's great that this is figured out. Given the cause, you would think every sector with a SPP would end up with frozen ships eventually, yet most SPP sectors don't have any in my game.

The Unmodified tag doesn't mean anything to me either and I would be happy to test any fixes- unofficially released or otherwise. Even if they might break my game, I think FL is well worth the effort to polish off the rough edges.

Deathifier
xr

Post by Deathifier » Wed, 18. Aug 21, 19:15

Hwitvlf wrote:
Wed, 18. Aug 21, 17:23
It's great that this is figured out. Given the cause, you would think every sector with a SPP would end up with frozen ships eventually, yet most SPP sectors don't have any in my game.

The Unmodified tag doesn't mean anything to me either and I would be happy to test any fixes- unofficially released or otherwise. Even if they might break my game, I think FL is well worth the effort to polish off the rough edges.
Well the cause does seem to be an infinite loop of some sort, although I don't know if I actually fixed it.

It turns out that when the modified file was saved in X-Studio II it saved with a hidden syntax error on a line I didn't change.
Thus the script was non-functional which had the helpful side effect of letting the ships move off and trade and whatnot, but not resupply (I followed one around for a while and got suspicious when it never tried to refuel) since I guess whenever the script is called it just returns control to the caller immediately or when it hits the error (which happens to be after the code that reloads the script when a new version is found).

I tried convincing the game to let me edit a copy of the original script but it simply refuses to do so - you can't directly edit that particular script (or I can't find out how to) and my custom script file gets hidden in-game whenever it has the content of the original script in it, even if I put that content in a brand new script file with new name, command, version, and description.

So unless Egosoft plans to release their fix I guess the options are to break the script or try to fix it properly.
To break it, open the original PCK file in X-Studio II and make the changes I set out earlier, then save it and you're set.
To fix it properly you'd probably have to make the edit in-game and I can't get that to work - if someone has suggestions I'll give it a try, though I'm not keen on spending much more time on this - esp. since it's already officially fixed.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 18. Aug 21, 19:44

The built in scripts are all in pck files, when you edit them ingame, it will save it out as an xml file, so you will have both the pck and xml files. As the game favours the pck file, it'll load in the old version each time.
there are several ways to allow editing these files. First, is to just edit the file and save it, then delete the old pck file before loading the game again. Or by unpacking the pck to an xml file.

if the script starts with ! then it wont be avaialble to edit, so you can unpack and rename the file, removing the ! to edit it. Just remember to rename back once its done. To do this you need to edit the file itself and make sure the filename inside the file matches.

an easy way to do this is to use the Plugin Manager Creator, that has an directory tool. This allows you to pack/unpack files, as well as renaming them. When renaming them it renames both the file and the contents

Deathifier
xr

Post by Deathifier » Thu, 19. Aug 21, 16:46

Alrighty with Cycrow's information I went back to the original PCK file for the script, extracted the XML file from it, renamed the file and the command name and version inside the file, and found that if renaming manually you have two instances of each value (name and version) to change - one at the top, and again further down where the script defines sval's.

I made the changes in-game as previously set out, renamed it back, deleted the compressed version and put the XML version in its place.

Loaded the game up with the new script in place and now it works properly.

I tested by watching a trade ship I'd previously followed.
The resupply script aborted due to the new version, the ship then resumed its trading script execution and went off to buy some crystals.
Once it purchased those it executed the new resupply script, went to a nearby solar power plant, docked and purchased 410 energy cells, then it started flying to its next purchasing destination which was an advanced satellite factory.

Thus the fix worked as I expected it to.

If you don't mind being in a modified game you could delete the v1.2 PCK file and put in its place a modified XML file that addresses this specific issue.

Since there is no ETA for a new release of X3FL I'll see if I can put the modified XML file in a Steam Guide.

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Thu, 19. Aug 21, 17:06

Deathifier wrote:
Thu, 19. Aug 21, 16:46
Since there is no ETA for a new release of X3FL I'll see if I can put the modified XML file in a Steam Guide.
Not really sure what a "Steam Guide" is or what it has over a forum post here... But hey, progress is progress and it sounds like Cycrow isn't interested in sharing the "upstream" fix for some reason...
I'd be most grateful if you'd post it somewhere in any case.

Aside, I'd be a whole lot more interested in fixing this stuff myself if all the available packing/unpacking and external editing tools weren't Windoze-only, I stopped using that OS about 20 years ago.

Deathifier
xr

Post by Deathifier » Sat, 21. Aug 21, 16:33

steve_v wrote:
Thu, 19. Aug 21, 17:06
Deathifier wrote:
Thu, 19. Aug 21, 16:46
Not really sure what a "Steam Guide" is or what it has over a forum post here... But hey, progress is progress and it sounds like Cycrow isn't interested in sharing the "upstream" fix for some reason...
I'd be most grateful if you'd post it somewhere in any case.

Aside, I'd be a whole lot more interested in fixing this stuff myself if all the available packing/unpacking and external editing tools weren't Windoze-only, I stopped using that OS about 20 years ago.
It's a bit more work to setup however it lets me wrap the script in a bunch of warnings about it causing games to be flagged as modified and I can attach other info to it.
It's also a lot easier for me to maintain and monitor in general, and it is a bit more discoverable on Steam in case other users want the fix but have no idea that this forum thread exists.

I had hoped to paste the script in plain-text in the guide however it is far too long and it is also much too long to put in a forum post here.

So I put it in a zip file and hosted it on a website for the time being, linked from the guide so that if a better solution turns up in the future, or Egosoft updates the game and fixes it officially, it's easy to change.

You can view the Steam guide here:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2580955922

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”