Player Marine Training Barracks deletes marines

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Pol8
x3ap

Player Marine Training Barracks deletes marines

Post by Pol8 » Sun, 18. Jul 21, 06:35

I've managed to get my hands on a player-owned Marine Training Barracks, and have upgraded it to XL using passengers that I've picked up after buying their ships in space. Now, the station needs to got through 53 passengers to unlock the XXL upgrade, and get that sweet, sweet 3rd skill (mechanical!).

To speed things up, I've elected not to buy 53 used ships, as finding the ones I used was already a massive chore, and not terribly profitable. So I've been taking "transport military personnel" missions, and conscripting those passengers. However, now when I try to pick up a created marine, it briefly shows up as possible to train, and then disappears! It's not in the cargo bay, not on the personnel list, nor are they in space. I am wondering if this is intended behavior, or not. For the record, I have observed this not happening on several occasions, but I can't figure out if it's abduction-related, as I don't remember if that marine was taken from a pilot position, or a mission.

FWIW, i've got about 60-70 marines in training at the station right now and a TP docked with "auto-collect marines after training" turned on. The deletion happens both if a player ship or non-player ship attempts to pick up the newly created marine. I have not seen marines that come back from training "disappear", but that's hard to keep track of. Also, if you abandon the military transport mission, you will be unable to add those passengers to the passenger conversion queue. However, if you put them in the queue, and then abandon the mission, they remain there.

From a role-playing perspective, I 100% get conscripted marines going AWOL, but I've seen no documentation regarding this feature.

What do you guys think? Have you had this happen? Is this a measure that the devs put in to prevent the industrial-strength levels of cheese I am using, or is this some sort of bug?

Novvak
x3ap

Re: Player Marine Training Barracks deletes marines

Post by Novvak » Sun, 18. Jul 21, 06:41

I suspect this is caused by the fact you have people spawned for missions, maybe they have some kind of expiry date after the mission is cancelled/failed?
My suggestion would ne to give them names after picking them up in missions. This way you will know which ones are disappearing.
I have an XL barracks myself and it doesn't make them go away, but strangely they are not displayed under property tab.

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Sun, 18. Jul 21, 09:41

Yeah, what Novvak said. Something similar happens with ships from 'claim ship' missions. Under certain circumstances, the engine removes them from the game, after awhile, as a clean-up step. No 'destroyed' message, just *poof* and gone.

Someone said you can feed slaves from the black market into the barracks, but I haven't tried it myself. Another good source is to bail a civilian TP (troop/prisoner/tour etc). They usually have quite a few passengers on board.

Novvak
x3ap

Post by Novvak » Sun, 18. Jul 21, 10:16

Hwitvlf wrote:
Sun, 18. Jul 21, 09:41
Someone said you can feed slaves from the black market into the barracks, but I haven't tried it myself.
I can confirm this is working just fine. You can buy Slaves from black market (they are not even that expensive), they are treated as a "ware" so you can transport them in a ship that can't fare passengers. I'm not sure if this requires cargo bay life support, but it's fair to assume that it is needed.
As soon as your ship lands in the barracks, you will have an option to "Free Slaves".
They will change from ware to passenger (hooray!) and the barrack's production queue will turn one at a time into a marine.
I believe that turning 100 slaves into marines grants an achievement, not just simply freeing them. Can't comfirm it myself as my barracks hasn't yet finished 100 production cycles.

Pol8
x3ap

Post by Pol8 » Fri, 20. Aug 21, 02:37

Thanks for slaves tip! Can confirm that this is 100% the way to go with feeding the player barracks. However, it does not seem to advance the Tubman award achievement. I checked in the in-game listing, and it's still sitting at 0/100

Deathifier
xr

Post by Deathifier » Fri, 20. Aug 21, 05:10

Pol8 wrote:
Fri, 20. Aug 21, 02:37
Thanks for slaves tip! Can confirm that this is 100% the way to go with feeding the player barracks. However, it does not seem to advance the Tubman award achievement. I checked in the in-game listing, and it's still sitting at 0/100
Try releasing the slaves at a regular station to advance the achievement.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 20. Aug 21, 12:02

the achievement only works when completely releasing slaves at a goner station.

using them for marines at the training barracks doesn't count

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”