Linux version now available

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Gregory
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Linux version now available

Post by Gregory » Fri, 9. Jul 21, 14:19

When X3: Farnham's Legacy was released at the beginning of April 2021, we were only able to offer you a Windows version of the game. We are now delivering the eagerly awaited Linux version!

We've also taken this opportunity to make some technical adjustments to X3: Terran Conflict and X3: Albion Prelude as part of the X3: Terran War Pack, to improve their installation on Windows systems and compatibility with Linux environments.

Here is an overview of today's updates:

X3: Terran Conflict
  • [GOG Linux only] Updated to version 3.4 (2017)
  • [Steam only] Simplified first-time setup on Windows
  • Fixed lib compatibility issues on Linux
  • Fixed several voice samples in German version
X3: Albion Prelude
  • [GOG Linux only] Updated to version 3.3 (2017)
  • [Steam only] Simplified first-time setup on Windows
  • Fixed lib compatibility issues on Linux
X3: Farnham's Legacy
  • Now available on Linux
All our channels in one convenient list :arrow: https://linktr.ee/egosoft

andreihaiducul
x3ap

Re: Linux version now available

Post by andreihaiducul » Fri, 9. Jul 21, 14:51

Thanks a lot for the linux version!

There seems to be a packaging error though as `00144.dat` is an empty file in the linux package so most voices are missing. I saved the one from the windows package and converted it to vorbis to work around this issue.

Turmfalke2

Post by Turmfalke2 » Fri, 9. Jul 21, 18:21

Can confirm, doesn't look right.

Code: Select all

~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/X3 Terran Conflict/addon2/mov $ du -sh *
108K    00044.pck
0       00144.dat
23M     00244.dat
59M     00344.dat
78M     00810.dat
217M    00811.dat
Is there anyway to download a single specific file for different operating system? Or how can I get the real 00144.dat.

andreihaiducul
x3ap

Post by andreihaiducul » Fri, 9. Jul 21, 18:24

You can force proton use and update to get the real file (right click -> properties -> compatibility -> force the use of...). Then copy, convert, and disable proton.

Apparently, installing X3AP also solves it, but I haven't tested that.

Turmfalke2

Post by Turmfalke2 » Fri, 9. Jul 21, 19:02

I have AP installed and the introduction had sound/voice over. The game apparently doesn't like me tabbing out.

eagledelta
x4

Post by eagledelta » Fri, 9. Jul 21, 20:45

I noticed that the X3FL_config binary doesn't seem to be able to launch the X3FL_main binary in the GOG release. Not sure what the problem is, but it just goes back to the desktop. If I launch the main binary directly from the game dir, it works just fine. But launching from the config binary (Start X3:FL button) just drops back to the desktop when the config binary is launched from any GUI tool, be that an icon, Lutris, etc. Have not tested with Steam.

Additionally, the X3 Terran War Pack on GOG defaults to ONLY launching TC, so I have modified the start.sh file that comes with the game to add a zenity launcher that works with Lutris/KDE/GNOME:

#!/bin/bash
# GOG.com (www.gog.com)
# Game

# Initialization
CURRENT_DIR="$( cd "$( dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}" )" && pwd )"
cd "${CURRENT_DIR}"
source support/gog_com.shlib

# Game info
GAME_NAME="$(get_gameinfo 1)"
VERSION="$(get_gameinfo 2)"
VERSION_DEV="$(get_gameinfo 3)"

# Actions
run_game() {
echo "Running ${GAME_NAME}"
cd "${CURRENT_DIR}/game"
chmod +x *
 ./$1

}

# Config Launcher
config() {
    cselect=$(zenity --title "X3: Configuration Tools" --list --radiolist --column "" --column "" TRUE "Terran Conflict Config" FALSE "Albion Prelude Config" FALSE "Farnham's Legacy Config")

case $cselect in
        "Terran Conflict Config")
            run_game "X3TC_config"
            ;;
        "Albion Prelude Config")
            run_game "X3AP_config"
            ;;
        "Farnham's Legacy Config")
            run_game "X3FL_config"
            ;;
    esac
}

# Launcher
game() {
    selection=$(zenity --title "X3: DLC Selection" --list --radiolist --column "" --column "" TRUE "X3: Terran Conflict" FALSE "X3: Albion Prelude" FALSE "X3: Farnham's Legacy")

case $selection in
        "X3: Terran Conflict")
            run_game "X3TC_main"
            ;;
        "X3: Albion Prelude")
            run_game "X3AP_main"
            ;;
        "X3: Farnham's Legacy")
            run_game "X3FL_main"
            ;;
        *)
            echo "DLC doesn't exist, please submit an issue if this keeps happening"
            exit 1
            ;;
    esac
}

# Launcher main
launcher() {
    if ! command -v zenity &> /dev/null
    then
        echo "Zenity not found, defaulting to Terran Conflict"
        run_game "X3TC_config"
    else
        opts=$(zenity --title "X3 Launcher" --list --radiolist --column "" --column "" TRUE "Game List" FALSE "Configuration")
    fi

case $opts in
        "Game List")
            game
            ;;
        "Configuration")
            config
            ;;
     esac
}

default() {
    launcher
}

# Options
define_option "-s" "--start" "start ${GAME_NAME}" "run_game" "$@"

# Defaults
standard_options "$@"

AeroNotix
x3ap

Post by AeroNotix » Sat, 10. Jul 21, 15:11

Good stuff getting a Linux build out!

Shame I'm stuck at the in-laws :(

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 10. Jul 21, 16:21

Turmfalke2 wrote:
Fri, 9. Jul 21, 18:21
Is there anyway to download a single specific file for different operating system? Or how can I get the real 00144.dat.
The 00144.dat is the same as the one in X3 terran conflict\mov or x3 terran conflict\addon\mov. So copying either of these files to x3 terran conflict\addon2\mov should work.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

KlausM
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by KlausM » Tue, 13. Jul 21, 10:15

andreihaiducul wrote:
Fri, 9. Jul 21, 14:51
Thanks a lot for the linux version!

There seems to be a packaging error though as `00144.dat` is an empty file in the linux package so most voices are missing. I saved the one from the windows package and converted it to vorbis to work around this issue.
The file being empty is not an error. It is not needed, the 00144.dat will be loaded from the "mov" folder instead (from X3: Terran Conflict).

You wrote that most voices were missing. Can anyone confirm that?

andreihaiducul
x3ap

Post by andreihaiducul » Tue, 13. Jul 21, 17:02

KlausM wrote:
Tue, 13. Jul 21, 10:15
The file being empty is not an error. It is not needed, the 00144.dat will be loaded from the "mov" folder instead (from X3: Terran Conflict).

Someone else encountered this issue on the steam forum. If you only install X3FL, then that file is missing/empty on linux but not on windows.

AiwendilH

Post by AiwendilH » Wed, 14. Jul 21, 00:25

andreihaiducul wrote:
Tue, 13. Jul 21, 17:02
KlausM wrote:
Tue, 13. Jul 21, 10:15

Someone else encountered this issue on the steam forum. If you only install X3FL, then that file is missing/empty on linux but not on windows.
Yeah, that would be me ;). So I can confirm that it's possible to install X3FL on steam without the necessary file from terran conflict. Installing Albion prelude as well fixes it (I haven't tried if installing Terran conflict fixes it as well). At the moment I run without Albion prelude installed with the converted file from the windows version what seems to work pretty well so far.

In game it "looks" like sound effect simply not playing....each time a missing sound effect is encountered the game "waits" the necessary time just nothing can be heard. Selecting the gate in the first sector at first plays nothing then after some time the "void" from the sector name can be heard. The "transorbital accelerator" is just silent. Same for some dialogs (I think for example the ones in the tutorial from the instructor), you can see the "movie" for the dialog and it waits for the length of the sound but nothing is heard. But I haven't played very much in that state so can't give much more examples.

KlausM
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by KlausM » Wed, 14. Jul 21, 09:42

AiwendilH wrote:
Wed, 14. Jul 21, 00:25
andreihaiducul wrote:
Tue, 13. Jul 21, 17:02
Yeah, that would be me ;). So I can confirm that it's possible to install X3FL on steam without the necessary file from terran conflict. Installing Albion prelude as well fixes it (I haven't tried if installing Terran conflict fixes it as well). At the moment I run without Albion prelude installed with the converted file from the windows version what seems to work pretty well so far.
Thanks for the reports. The issue should be fixed now - instead of the empty file you'll get a copy of the file from X3: Terran Conflict (Linux version), so neither X3TC nor X3AP need to be installed.

piranhai aka Dragonslayer
xr

Post by piranhai aka Dragonslayer » Wed, 14. Jul 21, 18:01

I play sice release with Proton under linux. If I now switch to the native linux version will my savegames etc. still be present or do I have to make some preparations?

edit:

I tried it out. For you people who played with proton before. You have to copy the sav files to a new destination

Go to folder (The folder name number after compdata can be different):

.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/483330/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My Documents/Egosoft/X3FL/save/
copy all the sav files to

.config/EgoSoft/X3FL/save/

Da-V-Man
x4

Post by Da-V-Man » Sun, 1. Aug 21, 03:53

I was trying this out earlier today. I think it's pretty cool to see these games on linux. Will a no-steam executable be made available for the linux version?
These days I mainly just talk to plants and dogs,
all human contact seems painful, risky, odd,
so I stay acting god in my own X-Universe!

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”