Patrols - Suggestions Welcome

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Clantron
x4

Patrols - Suggestions Welcome

Post by Clantron » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 20:49

In previous games I've never set up much patrols but here I want to do so due to my factories being spread out over several sectors. (Argon to be specific). Sadly in those sectors I seem to run into Xenon L and XL fairly often. I'm looking for a somewhat on budget solution for patrolling those sectors. I read a lot about the Cerberus Flak Frigate being good anti-fighter, and the Agamemnon being good OOS (but is it against fighters?). It's mainly for OOS patrols and I don't know if Flak is good OOS? Or perhaps a Heavy Dragon is enough? Any suggestions would be very welcome.

[edit]
I just realized I'm talking about using M7s to take out M3s. That looks a bit extreme I guess. I'm concerned about possible P/PX encounters. I'm not sure any Q come around. I don't remember seeing one for quite some time. (pre 1.1, yes due to Hub, post 1.1 I don't recall any.)

Ezendeir
xr

Re: Patrols - Suggestions Welcome

Post by Ezendeir » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 23:00

Ships that can mount Capital Weapons are automatically strong OOS due to the fact that OOS combat doesn't factor "misses". The Xenon ships that spawn randomly in sectors depend on your Fighting Rank, and it's not unusual to encounter Destroyers and Carriers roaming the Universe. I wouldn''t suggest M6s because, unless you pilot them, Qs are going to obliterate them.

But basically yes, if you're only dealing with Fighters (and even Corvettes to an extent) the Cerberus is perfect. It was already good in AP and it has aged well in FL too.

Otherwise, if you feel threatened by Xenon Capitals spawning out of nowhere, the Tern, Shrike, Agamemnon or even the Thresher are optimal. All have their quirks, but for me the Tern and the Agamemnon seem to perform better OOS.
And you can't forget Missile Frigates, though if you say you're on a budget they're pretty costly to maintain.

Although you can do something even better. When you have the time and the money, buy a Lasertower Factory and either:
- Spam Laser Towers near your factories
or
- Build a ring of them near your Gate(s). That way, once any hostile ship enters the sector it goes poof.

It has worked wonders for me during TC and AP.
Last edited by Ezendeir on Tue, 8. Jun 21, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Each battle a chance to grow.

Ramdat
x3ap

Post by Ramdat » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 23:01

Ezendeir wrote:
Tue, 8. Jun 21, 23:00
- Build a ring of them near your Gate(s). That way, once any hostile ship enters the sector it goes poof.
Does the ring of fire script work with FL?

Ezendeir
xr

Post by Ezendeir » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 23:04

Ramdat wrote:
Tue, 8. Jun 21, 23:01
Ezendeir wrote:
Does the ring of fire script work with FL?
I haven't tried personally, but since FL gets almost all of TC and AP's features it "could" work.
I installed the AP Cheat Package and it works perfectly unless you reveal all the sectors. HSAPs and other stuff get bugged if you choose that option.

Ramdat
x3ap

Post by Ramdat » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 23:06

Ezendeir wrote:
Tue, 8. Jun 21, 23:04
I haven't tried personally, but since FL gets almost all of TC and AP's features it "could" work.
Are you just deploying them manually, then?
Ezendeir wrote:
Tue, 8. Jun 21, 23:04
I installed the AP Cheat Package and it works perfectly unless you reveal all the sectors. That way HSAPs and other stuff get bugged.
Cycrow created an FL version of the Cheat Package here.

Ezendeir
xr

Post by Ezendeir » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 23:10

Ramdat wrote:
Tue, 8. Jun 21, 23:06

Are you just deploying them manually, then?
Cycrow created an FL version of the Cheat Package here.
Yes, I'm deploying them manually.
And yes, I also know of the FL Cheat Package. The reason I'm using the AP one is because the FL one does have some problems when selecting certain menus.

Clantron
x4

Post by Clantron » Tue, 8. Jun 21, 23:22

Incursion strength goes up with fight rank. hmm. Yea I need to think bigger then.
Thanks :thumb_up: for the suggestion on Laser towers, forgot about those.

Chaos Master
x2

Post by Chaos Master » Wed, 9. Jun 21, 21:49

Ezendeir wrote:
All have their quirks, but for me the Tern and the Agamemnon seem to perform better OOS.
A lot of people seem to like the Tern, done also as a player ship. But I can't seem to find anywhere that sells it.

Is the only way to obtain it (other than capturing one) to buy the blueprints and build it yourself?
---

Ramdat
x3ap

Post by Ramdat » Wed, 9. Jun 21, 21:56

Chaos Master wrote:
Wed, 9. Jun 21, 21:49
A lot of people seem to like the Tern, done also as a player ship. But I can't seem to find anywhere that sells it.

Is the only way to obtain it (other than capturing one) to buy the blueprints and build it yourself?
Press SHIFT + B to open the Ship Browser. Change "filter class" to M7. Change "information page" to "purchasing". It says "Teladi Diplomacy", which means you need to use the "acquire special ship" agent task at a Teladi Shipyard.

Einheit 101
x3tc

Post by Einheit 101 » Thu, 10. Jun 21, 03:08

Building factories in FL is kinda pointless since every cargo ship you set up will get blown away by the hundreds of Xenon roaming the entire universe, so unless you want to position 4 Battleships at all 4 gates in all relevant sectors (everything below M2+ will get blown at some point) you can basically delete the "Trade" part from FL.
The only thing working is Mk.3 traders, they rarely get caught if you give them a speedy ship. Even my Boas, going over 200m/s, get killed on a regular basis.
My big hope is that they are going to fix the xenon spam, otherwise X3FL will be obsolete very soon.

Ramdat
x3ap

Post by Ramdat » Thu, 10. Jun 21, 04:15

Einheit 101 wrote:
Thu, 10. Jun 21, 03:08
Building factories in FL is kinda pointless since every cargo ship you set up will get blown away by the hundreds of Xenon roaming the entire universe, so unless you want to position 4 Battleships at all 4 gates in all relevant sectors (everything below M2+ will get blown at some point) you can basically delete the "Trade" part from FL.
The only thing working is Mk.3 traders, they rarely get caught if you give them a speedy ship. Even my Boas, going over 200m/s, get killed on a regular basis.
My big hope is that they are going to fix the xenon spam, otherwise X3FL will be obsolete very soon.
What is your combat ranking? I have a complex worth about 300 million and a MK3 fleet but I've not lost a single TS.

phantomrock2
x4

Post by phantomrock2 » Thu, 10. Jun 21, 10:50

Ezendeir wrote:
Ships that can mount Capital Weapons are automatically strong OOS due to the fact that OOS combat doesn't factor "misses". The Xenon ships that spawn randomly in sectors depend on your Fighting Rank, and it's not unusual to encounter Destroyers and Carriers roaming the Universe. I wouldn''t suggest M6s because, unless you pilot them, Qs are going to obliterate them.

But basically yes, if you're only dealing with Fighters (and even Corvettes to an extent) the Cerberus is perfect. It was already good in AP and it has aged well in FL too.

Otherwise, if you feel threatened by Xenon Capitals spawning out of nowhere, the Tern, Shrike, Agamemnon or even the Thresher are optimal. All have their quirks, but for me the Tern and the Agamemnon seem to perform better OOS.
And you can't forget Missile Frigates, though if you say you're on a budget they're pretty costly to maintain.

Although you can do something even better. When you have the time and the money, buy a Lasertower Factory and either:
- Spam Laser Towers near your factories
or

It has worked wonders for me during TC and AP.
make sure you put the laser towers a-round your factories or that gate OOS by directing a ship-class large enough to transport them, have it move to position then EJECT the LTs let the LTs charge up using SETA :) THEN JUMP IN-TO the sector afterwards and you will notice that the LTs are splayed. MAKE SURE TO eject the LTs OOS if you do THIS in-sector the laser tower de-fenses won't be too effective. So say for instance I would like a complex to be guarded by LTs well I would direct the transporting craft to move to position RIGHT OVER the complex/station/gate THEN EJECT... In AP I have these all a-round the gate in Segaris & when I get those fight missions I just sit there and watch the show :D
Last edited by phantomrock2 on Fri, 11. Jun 21, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.
[" thank you "]

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Thu, 10. Jun 21, 18:01

My recommendation for OOS M6 is Heavy Osprey with Concussion Impulse Generators. For OOS M7, Agamemnon, Tern, Cerberus (in that order). But keep in mind that Most M7s will deal with Ps, and even the Agamemnon can have trouble with a Q.

FL has satellite warning settings which can be configured to alert you if enemy capital ships enter a sector. Also, emergency jump which will usually get your ship out alive if configured correctly.

I have not seen the Xenon swarms that other people mention. I set up my HQ in Rolks Legacy and factories in Akeelas Beacon. I'm at Crusader fight rank: I've seen two Qs in Rolks, one in Akeelas, and two K fleets traveling south from Aladna Hill. There have been quite a few small Xenon fighter groups pop in, but they don't generally last too long in populated sectors. Heavy Ospreys are nice because they're slow so they don't generally catch the xenon who are 'passing through', but they're tough enough to deal with the small fighter groups of invader Xenon.

Chaos Master
x2

Post by Chaos Master » Thu, 10. Jun 21, 18:12

phantomrock2 wrote:
Thu, 10. Jun 21, 10:50
MAKE SURE YOU eject the LTs OOS if you do it in-sector the laser tower de-fenses won't be too effective.
Why is that?
---

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Thu, 10. Jun 21, 19:36

Chaos Master wrote:
Thu, 10. Jun 21, 18:12
Why is that?
I expect he's referring to " THEN JUMP IN-TO the sector afterwards and you will notice that the LTs are splayed." If you dump a TS full of laser towers all at once when in sector, they tend to be a clustered, easy to hit target for the PPC on Qs. Even worse, they can shoot each other when firing at an enemy. If you drop a swarm when OOS, the game engine scatters them decently when you first enter the sector.

chip56

Post by chip56 » Thu, 10. Jun 21, 20:12

I am not sure that scattered towers are better though. Scattered towers can be over multiple km, allowing an enemy q to pick them one at a time.
Heck a lone laser tower might take hull damage from a single LX.

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”