How M7D is supposed to work?

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

zamiel
x4

How M7D is supposed to work?

Post by zamiel » Fri, 21. May 21, 23:09

I got the Yaki one, had to make everyone hate me, shelled out a lot of credits but it only came with a 200 MJ shield. Didn't recieve any blueprints either in HQ (at least not in the Production menu).
It comes with a few commands (map sector, scan asteroids, repair ships/stations), I tried giving it some fighter drones but it didn't seem like being able to do anything with them. Or is this how it's supposed to work (i.e. a support role not actually being able to use fighter drones?), and I'm just not understanding the class?

It just felt so good, you know, it has pods, disposable drones to overwhelm enemy turrets and break shields, a grandmaster of cappage, so I kind of feel deprived now:)

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Re: How M7D is supposed to work?

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sat, 22. May 21, 01:08

zamiel wrote:
Fri, 21. May 21, 23:09
I got the Yaki one, had to make everyone hate me, shelled out a lot of credits but it only came with a 200 MJ shield. Didn't recieve any blueprints either in HQ (at least not in the Production menu).
Try re-engineering it. If it's your first cap it's prolly received a load of hull dmg, so RE it first in your PHQ. After that process has completed you'll have the b/p to create as many pristine hulls of that class as you hav resources & time for :)
It comes with a few commands (map sector, scan asteroids, repair ships/stations), I tried giving it some fighter drones but it didn't seem like being able to do anything with them.
Yo'll need to re-equip the hull with appropriate s/w modules to have it perform as you wish. Eg in TC I had some basic Springblossoms flying around in Aldrin with nothing equipped but Mk3 trade s/w & basic shields, 'cos they're fast ships with decent cargo capacity & they kept certain crucial stations alive while training up future ST/UT pilots with little risk; outfitting a combat ship would be different ofc :)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Thandrall
x4

Post by Thandrall » Sat, 22. May 21, 06:53

Snafu_X3 wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 01:08
zamiel wrote:
Fri, 21. May 21, 23:09
Try re-engineering it. If it's your first cap it's prolly received a load of hull dmg, so RE it first in your PHQ. After that process has completed you'll have the b/p to create as many pristine hulls of that class as you hav resources & time for :)
It comes with a few commands (map sector, scan asteroids, repair ships/stations), I tried giving it some fighter drones but it didn't seem like being able to do anything with them.
Yo'll need to re-equip the hull with appropriate s/w modules to have it perform as you wish. Eg in TC I had some basic Springblossoms flying around in Aldrin with nothing equipped but Mk3 trade s/w & basic shields, 'cos they're fast ships with decent cargo capacity & they kept certain crucial stations alive while training up future ST/UT pilots with little risk; outfitting a combat ship would be different ofc :)
He said he used credits and made everyone hate him, so he had to of brought it, but I do agree that if nothing has come up try REing it. Otherwise it might be a bug.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sat, 22. May 21, 18:28

But what about how exactly does it work? I don't have time to play atm but I am curious about how these new drone frigates work.

zamiel
x4

Post by zamiel » Sat, 22. May 21, 20:37

Well, I don't know, after reverse engineering I just couldn't be bothered to rebuild it (was 16 hours or something). It's still soon after release, I guess they will fix it when they get around it.
I just hope drone carriers actually can fight with drones and stuff.

Thandrall
x4

Post by Thandrall » Sat, 22. May 21, 21:13

So... This might sound a bit weird, but I was looking into getting a M7D for myself, and I realised... Yaki don't have M7D's? Unless its part of the whole special ships, but either way, they got a M7 and M7M, and there is a ship in Rougeys for another M7 class, but the overview of it doesn't say anything about drones. Just a thought on whether the Yaki actually have a drone frigate.

Midnightknight
x4

Post by Midnightknight » Sat, 22. May 21, 21:17

I got mine today, the Teladi one.

So it comes up with 4 mining drones that are managed by the frigate. The moment you put a drone on it it becomes its property and you can't interact with it anymore, just like station manager with transporter.
They comes up with a drone carrier command software that allows you to use the drones. You have commands like collect wares with drone, repair ships with drones, repair stations with drones etc.

That's interesting but that leads to a few annoyance, like i can't use my drones to pick up some XL stuff from a normal station as i can't manage it myself and i have not the option in the commands.
I also put a repair drone on the Teladi "mining" frigate and when i ask it to repair a ship it bugs completely. I had a shrike and a laser tower missing some life in the sector, the M7 sents all the drones (4 mining and 1 repair) to actually "attack" the laser tower, what luckily did the job, but then it refused to repair my Shrike. No matter what i did, it never wanted to. Now i need to try to mine with it and see if it also send the repair drone to mine ...

But right now i'm trying to outfit it and it's a nightmare as you can't get anything at eq docks and you can't dock it at any "normal" station. For L wares it's ok i use my ocelot, but for XL wares i wonder if i'll have to buy a falcon hauler only for this, what is a shame with 4 drones with XL cargo in the bay ...

Thandrall wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 21:13
So... This might sound a bit weird, but I was looking into getting a M7D for myself, and I realised... Yaki don't have M7D's? Unless its part of the whole special ships, but either way, they got a M7 and M7M, and there is a ship in Rougeys for another M7 class, but the overview of it doesn't say anything about drones. Just a thought on whether the Yaki actually have a drone frigate.
Isn't the Karuido the Yaki M7D ?

zamiel
x4

Post by zamiel » Sat, 22. May 21, 22:25

Midnightknight wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 21:17
It is. However it doesn't have a drone carrier ID. Maybe that's the reason it's bugged.

Midnightknight
x4

Post by Midnightknight » Sat, 22. May 21, 23:28

Ok i just realized i did not get the blueprint to build miner drones after i bought the Cormoran to the Teledi shipyard. Must be a bug but it can't really use the M7D as it should as i can't make more drones. (Except the one i retrofitted from Astrus and is the repair one)

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sun, 23. May 21, 06:46

Midnightknight wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 21:17
I got mine today, the Teladi one.

So it comes up with 4 mining drones that are managed by the frigate. The moment you put a drone on it it becomes its property and you can't interact with it anymore, just like station manager with transporter.
They comes up with a drone carrier command software that allows you to use the drones. You have commands like collect wares with drone, repair ships with drones, repair stations with drones etc.

That's interesting but that leads to a few annoyance, like i can't use my drones to pick up some XL stuff from a normal station as i can't manage it myself and i have not the option in the commands.
I also put a repair drone on the Teladi "mining" frigate and when i ask it to repair a ship it bugs completely. I had a shrike and a laser tower missing some life in the sector, the M7 sents all the drones (4 mining and 1 repair) to actually "attack" the laser tower, what luckily did the job, but then it refused to repair my Shrike. No matter what i did, it never wanted to. Now i need to try to mine with it and see if it also send the repair drone to mine ...

But right now i'm trying to outfit it and it's a nightmare as you can't get anything at eq docks and you can't dock it at any "normal" station. For L wares it's ok i use my ocelot, but for XL wares i wonder if i'll have to buy a falcon hauler only for this, what is a shame with 4 drones with XL cargo in the bay ...

Thandrall wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 21:13
Thanks. Though that sounds kinda underwhelming.
Like the other guy I was expecting deploying and replenishing swarms of fighter drones. Like some ghetto carrier.

Midnightknight
x4

Post by Midnightknight » Sun, 23. May 21, 10:01

Well i guess once you have a complex to feed your PHQ, once the few bugs remaining will be solved you can get that to work like this, having a frigate send 14 fighters into fighting and replenishing automatically if it loose some in the fight, but right now, yeah it's underperforming for many other reasons.

For the mining anyway it works pretty good. Too bad you can't access a menu like the regular automated mining to select what minerals you want to pick up and were to drop it. Cause drones are way more efficient than falcons.

Midnightknight
x4

Post by Midnightknight » Mon, 24. May 21, 15:37

Well after using it a bit i must say i'm also a bit disappointed about Drone Carriers and mainly cause you have absolutely no control over it and the AI in X3 isn't the smartest in the world.

The carrier deploys the drones in the sector without asking you, mine sent it's 4 miner against a few N, it's a shame when you have outfited the M7 with FAA and will kill the few N in less time needed than the drone needs to reach the enemy, but then, you can't stop the order. It will go around and kill every enemy no matter what. I tried the recall ships command, they don't care, flying the M7C to another sector, it do not care either. So basically the drones are lost the second they enter a fight cause they will go around hunting for enemies forever. I reloaded cause with the bug of not receiving the Teledi drone blueprint, loosing the only 4 i have means the M7C being useless and now i simply make it sit in a core sector asking it to repair my ships and nothing else, cause it's the better use i can do of it.

A bit sad that the devs chose to restrain so much the control you can have on drones. Not even be able to send one to the PHQ to reverse it cause you do not have access to the commands as soon the M7D start to manage them, with no way to tell it to stop or to repair them.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Mon, 24. May 21, 18:53

Midnightknight wrote:
Mon, 24. May 21, 15:37
Does the ship have Drone Command s/w installed, along with its other prerequisites? That adds some more drone-specific commands that are expanded with other software packages (eg Fight 1 &/or 2 etc) IIRC..
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Midnightknight
x4

Post by Midnightknight » Mon, 24. May 21, 21:42

Yes i said it in the previous messages it have the drone software but the drone software only have a really limited number of commands (You don't have any command to recall them for example) and the other commands do not affect drones at all. Basically you have absolutely no control over the drones. So you can ask the M7 to do a few things with drones, like collect wares repair or mine, but except that you have no way to interact with them. You can't ask them to go repair to a shipyard or simply stand in space to be repaired. You can't even transfer them from a carrier to another one cause as soon as they land on the carrier, it's over, you can't command it at all.
https://i.imgur.com/V639PEj.jpg
Last edited by Terre on Tue, 25. May 21, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Tue, 25. May 21, 08:05

Is drone command software something different? I only see carrier command software there.
Also do they not auto repair when docked?

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”