Balance Oddities

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Balance Oddities

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Mon, 10. May 21, 18:24

1. The top speeds of many TS & TP ships have been rebalanced, but their acceleration values haven't. For example the express accelerates at 3 m/s, but the hauler version (which is now the slower of the two) still does so at 3.3 m/s.

2. The shielding on standard TS variants doesn't correspond with their size. This has been the case since at least X3TC where it made more sense with the tankers being especially slow with more shielding, but now that their speeds appear to all line up cleanly with their cargo capacities, the shield totals look comparatively random. I suggest Hauler/Superfreighter/Tanker XL having +1 shield, and Superfreighter XL having +2 shields.

3. There are a variety of normal ships that can use the light category of missiles but the not the dmbf category (so-called 'dumbfire' but actually just all kinds of extra-light missiles). The Lotan and Pike are two such ships, but I stopped noting which ones when I went through everything in Tships to add compatibility.

4. Magnetar can only use dmbf missiles, while all other TMs can use light ones as well. Seems someone might have mistook it for a Mercury while going through Tships and removing the light category from regular TSs as part of their balance changes.

5. Marlin uses the Paranid M1 rear cockpit, giving it a very strange set of compatible lasers for a bomber, let alone a Boron one. This may have also been the case in X3AP where apparently the weapon choices for new ships were as intentional as they were arbitrary.

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Re: Balance Oddities

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Mon, 17. May 21, 18:00

Apologies for the impertinence, but, no dev comment on this? It's just that other bug threads were replied to. Points 1 & 4 are almost certainly oversights to be fixed with low priority.

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Mon, 17. May 21, 19:06

I think none of the oddities you mentioned seem to be a priority at the moment. Just my thought. :)
X fanatic. More of an X3 fanatic.
What about X4? Nah, I prefer a space simulator rather than a walking simulator.

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Tue, 18. May 21, 06:34

Reimu Hakurei wrote:
Mon, 10. May 21, 18:24
5. Marlin uses the Paranid M1 rear cockpit, giving it a very strange set of compatible lasers for a bomber, let alone a Boron one. This may have also been the case in X3AP where apparently the weapon choices for new ships were as intentional as they were arbitrary.
I can confirm that the Marlin equips the Phased Shockwave generator in AP and barely enough power to fire it. Interesting notes, I suspect someone will make a rebalance mod FL soon enough.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 18. May 21, 19:57

As you can see there are many threads to read up on and the day only has 25h.

It was not our intention to rebalance things too much tbh, the reason we did for the TS and then as consequence to TP/TM was that there are a huge amount of TS variants but they served no purpose. This is a consequence of years of adding new ships and new variants. So the TS rebalance focussed mainly on Speed and cargo hold, to try give more options for different roles and stages of the game. It was already a PITA to rebalance them as they are, going to accel and loadouts would have been a rabbit hole I personally didn't want to dig into. Some oddities still remain from previous games and sure we could have rebalanced all ships, but it was not the focus of this project.

MFG

Ketraar

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Tue, 18. May 21, 20:09

IMO, Addition of armored transport ships are a long overdue aspect of the game. They still come with only few guns and terrible laser batteries. So there's a cost for them shields. You cant go on rampaging pirates or Xenons from them, but provides a peaceful trader a solid opportunity to pass through an ongoing battlefield unscratched.
X fanatic. More of an X3 fanatic.
What about X4? Nah, I prefer a space simulator rather than a walking simulator.

Hwitvlf

Post by Hwitvlf » Wed, 19. May 21, 19:43

Klord wrote:
Tue, 18. May 21, 20:09
IMO, Addition of armored transport ships are a long overdue aspect of the game. They still come with only few guns and terrible laser batteries. So there's a cost for them shields. You cant go on rampaging pirates or Xenons from them, but provides a peaceful trader a solid opportunity to pass through an ongoing battlefield unscratched.
Well said. In TC/AP there was almost no point in equipping traders with shields or weapons since almost anything could insta-kill them. I just had a fully equipped Mistral get taken to 1/2 hull by a single pirate M4 in OOS combat (in AP, not FL).

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”