Goner start?

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Midnightknight
x4

Re: Goner start?

Post by Midnightknight » Wed, 12. May 21, 12:40

Cycrow wrote:
Wed, 12. May 21, 10:17
You also have a blueprint for a scorpion that you can build and weapons on the Demeter to equip it
Yeah but that's not something you can rely on as you can't get shields for the scorpion anywhere. I tried this and in the end went to ram pirate's M3s cause the scorpion is pretty useless without shielding even with 4 Pacs.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Wed, 12. May 21, 19:07

Midnightknight wrote:
Wed, 12. May 21, 12:40
Yeah but that's not something you can rely on as you can't get shields for the scorpion anywhere. I tried this and in the end went to ram pirate's M3s cause the scorpion is pretty useless without shielding even with 4 Pacs.
You can put 1MJ shields or just wait for the pirate ship to get "weakend" in combat before engaging it. Any how, even with shields, the advantage of the Scorpion is it's speed. Hit on the Fly, long turn, hit again (definitely not easy but doable)...

Midnightknight
x4

Post by Midnightknight » Wed, 12. May 21, 19:18

You don't have shields at all, not 1MJ either. Is it so hard to understand this lol? You build a ship at your PHQ there is no stuff on it at all. In the stranded universe you have no factory building weapons or shields at all. The only shields available are the one in paranide EQ dock and they are all sold before you get a chance to get there, leaving only 1GJ and 2GJ. So no, you have no shield at all. The shields you get on the TS are 25 MJ so not fitting on the Scorpion, your ranger have a 200MJ not fitting either.

Yes it's doable i killed one of my 5 with the scorpion and it's a hell of difficult cause you have no shield and every hit will make your speed drop and byebye. Going with the Ranger is way easier, you approach Full life pirate M3 and ram it at full speed, killing it while you loose barely half your shield.

Making a scorpion cost money on a start you will need for many other things, will make them save before every kill attempt draining their salvage insurance they will need later all this for something that is "doable". It's doable yes, like killing a Xenon Q with an Argon Discoverer. Having no shields in this game is suicide, cause each hit on the hull destroy your equipment and hinder your speed, even if you manage to kill the 5 pirates this way it will slow even more your start for absolutely nothing. You run out of range and go back to shot at it, yes and you will take a few shots in your run, each one possibly a game over. I think people here wants to play X3 not dark souls.

chip56

Post by chip56 » Wed, 12. May 21, 22:10

Midnightknight wrote:
Wed, 12. May 21, 19:18
You don't have shields at all, not 1MJ either. Is it so hard to understand this lol? You build a ship at your PHQ there is no stuff on it at all. In the stranded universe you have no factory building weapons or shields at all. The only shields available are the one in paranide EQ dock and they are all sold before you get a chance to get there, leaving only 1GJ and 2GJ. So no, you have no shield at all. The shields you get on the TS are 25 MJ so not fitting on the Scorpion, your ranger have a 200MJ not fitting either.

Yes it's doable i killed one of my 5 with the scorpion and it's a hell of difficult cause you have no shield and every hit will make your speed drop and byebye. Going with the Ranger is way easier, you approach Full life pirate M3 and ram it at full speed, killing it while you loose barely half your shield.

Making a scorpion cost money on a start you will need for many other things, will make them save before every kill attempt draining their salvage insurance they will need later all this for something that is "doable". It's doable yes, like killing a Xenon Q with an Argon Discoverer. Having no shields in this game is suicide, cause each hit on the hull destroy your equipment and hinder your speed, even if you manage to kill the 5 pirates this way it will slow even more your start for absolutely nothing. You run out of range and go back to shot at it, yes and you will take a few shots in your run, each one possibly a game over. I think people here wants to play X3 not dark souls.
Actually you can get 1MJ shields. Many of the cheaper sold used ships have them.

Midnightknight
x4

Post by Midnightknight » Wed, 12. May 21, 22:54

Yeah and you can't know before you buy it and can't sell it after that, again lot of useful credits lost in the start.. I bought 2 to listen people telling to do this and none have any shield either (even got a M4 with no shield). Of course you can check when the seller is flying around but when he is in a station you can't check if the ship have shields or not and most of the sold ships in my game were directly in stations (except when they were selling M3s with full weapon but over the million, money you of course do not have).

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Wed, 12. May 21, 23:50

Midnightknight wrote:
Wed, 12. May 21, 22:54
Of course you can check when the seller is flying around but when he is in a station you can't check if the ship have shields or not and most of the sold ships in my game were directly in stations
Freight scanners are available to purchase even in Plot-locked docks (as it's a requirement for the Plot). Even without a FS installed, while docked you should be able to check the basic eqpt on landed ships available for sale using 'i' or 'u' (I forget which); this should show whether shields/guns are installed (but not necessarily show what type)

From this basic starting point, in general damaged ships sold while in dock (you can certainly check hull points prior to sale!) should come with minimal shield/wep installed (so 1x1MJ shield + 1x IR laser). Fortunately, IIRC AP (see sig) fixed the frustration of TC & previous versions randomly blowing up eqpt when the ship is sold in space, so what you scanned should be what you get :) Either way, buying damaged hulls & fixing them with a few minutes of repair laser can (as always) make quite a reasonable amount of cash if reselling or repurposing, & they can always be recycled in your PHQ for resources* :) BE AWARE that you'll still (currently) need the rep to buy those damaged hulls just as if you were buying them from a shipyard, so heading towards (eg) a 50% Snotra displaying its 'buy me' symbol right at the beginning of the game may well result in disappointment :(

*Or reverse-engineered (don't bother to fix them up if this is your intention unless you need their speed, in which case only repair to 90%), if for no other reason than to stop salesmen offering you their blueprints :)

Talking of buying ships in space, don't forget to pick up their pilots if possible! At minimum they'll pay you to ferry them to the nearest station (check freight|passenger|info to see where they want to go), which may be a significant chunk of their ship's sale price; at best they may have some decent skills you may wish to recruit for piloting autonomous Mk3 traders later.. so keep a convenient TP or other CLS-equipped ship handy to store them :)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Midnightknight
x4

Post by Midnightknight » Wed, 12. May 21, 23:56

Snafu_X3 wrote:
Wed, 12. May 21, 23:50
BE AWARE that you'll still (currently) need the rep to buy those damaged hulls just as if you were buying them from a shipyard, so heading towards (eg) a 50% Snotra displaying its 'buy me' symbol right at the beginning of the game may well result in disappointment :(

Yes lol had this a few times, a ship i wanted badly like an Athena or Snotra at really low discounted price only to tell you "No folk you need the rep" lol.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 14. May 21, 21:48

Midnightknight wrote:
Wed, 12. May 21, 22:54
Yeah and you can't know before you buy it and can't sell it after that, again lot of useful credits lost in the start.. I bought 2 to listen people telling to do this and none have any shield either (even got a M4 with no shield). Of course you can check when the seller is flying around but when he is in a station you can't check if the ship have shields or not and most of the sold ships in my game were directly in stations (except when they were selling M3s with full weapon but over the million, money you of course do not have).
What's the problem? This is easy peasy... the M5s and M4s sold close to 100K have shields and weapons, those sold below 50K do not...

That said, a bit of patience and searching will bag you an M3 which can take the 25MJ shields and you have 3 of them right? Sane way you can buy a TP and make a lot of money though missions...

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Sun, 16. May 21, 01:47

I have given up with the Goner start, having spent a heck of a lot of time trying only to fined the so called peaceful start has combat attached as a road block. !!! Logic !!!

Am doing the Custom start now, 4,000,000 start up cash. With Blue prints, and 4 ships to play with.
This ought to be called the peaceful start, so much better. And as yet have not come across any need for combat.

I just love those who say “ easy peasy”. :headbang: If it were ! There would be no need for a forum.

Fulgrymm
x4

Post by Fulgrymm » Sun, 16. May 21, 03:57

Nevertheless, you found a way to have fun on your terms, so I see this as an absolute win!

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sun, 16. May 21, 22:06

Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Sun, 16. May 21, 01:47
I have given up with the Goner start, having spent a heck of a lot of time trying only to fined the so called peaceful start has combat attached as a road block. !!! Logic !!!

Am doing the Custom start now, 4,000,000 start up cash. With Blue prints, and 4 ships to play with.
This ought to be called the peaceful start, so much better. And as yet have not come across any need for combat.

I just love those who say “ easy peasy”. :headbang: If it were ! There would be no need for a forum.
What can I say... some things are so obvious to some, just like some others are for others... I used the expression so that one might not get frightened to use the suggestion...

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”