Hi team, dynamic relations can be hilarious at times

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Klord
x3ap

Re: Hi team, dynamic relations can be hilarious at times

Post by Klord » Mon, 10. May 21, 15:55

Cycrow wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 23:06
thats because your gaining rep with pirates. Argon and Boron are enemies to pirates
I have a query regarding the rep system.

My Split and Paranid reputation is stuck at +7 rank 98%.

For Split I did,
> 3 Passenger transportation
> 2 Xenon patrols
> 2 Ware transportation
> 1 Return abandon ship
> Sent 2 agents on notoriety increase missions

For Paranid I did,
> 2 Passenger transportation
> 1 Ware transportation
> 1 Killing mission

The reputation level wont increase and stuck at 98% even though there is a green arrow next to the rank. Meanwhile Boron reputation drops little by little each time I complete missions. (It was at max level before).

My query is, is there a soft cap to faction notoriety which doesn't increase if the player is having a good relationship with the said faction's enemies?

In my case Im at top notoriety rank with Argon and Boron. Is this preventing me from gaining Split/ Paranid rep beyond a certain level?
Or is this a bug?

Im trying to obtain Acinonix Prototype ship from Split. I need to be at top of the split notoriety for that. :roll:
X fanatic. More of an X3 fanatic.
What about X4? Nah, I prefer a space simulator rather than a walking simulator.

fireanddream
xr

Post by fireanddream » Mon, 10. May 21, 16:20

Klord wrote:
Mon, 10. May 21, 15:55
The reputation level wont increase and stuck at 98% even though there is a green arrow next to the rank. Meanwhile Boron reputation drops little by little each time I complete missions. (It was at max level before).

My query is, is there a soft cap to faction notoriety which doesn't increase if the player is having a good relationship with the said faction's enemies?

In my case Im at top notoriety rank with Argon and Boron. Is this preventing me from gaining Split/ Paranid rep beyond a certain level?
Or is this a bug?

Im trying to obtain Acinonix Prototype ship from Split. I need to be at top of the split notoriety for that. :roll:
How did you maintain this level of rep with all major races? I've been putting off playing FL for the past couple of days because... the dynamic relation means I will have to keep an dynamic blacklist. To exclusively camp in Teladi sectors are just boring.

Meanwhile even I do as good a job as yours, Corps and their sectors are still off limits.

Even while I'm befriending the Teladi I got a bit sad cause the Yaki was my buddy in AP. Always sent my "return abandoned ship" ship to their shipyard and let them take care of the debt collectors.

I'm just an space uber guy, man, it's not like I'm blowing up people, why do I have to be hated by 2 out of the 5 races at all time?

At this rate I may finish divinity original sin 2 and then come back and see if there is an update. The team consists of players who actually play the game, so I have my faith in them.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 10. May 21, 16:23

There is a maximum rank you can achieve if you are at max ranks with their enemies.

once Argon/Boron drop down enough, you will start gaining rank again with Paranid/Spilt

While the notoriety you earn for Paranid/Spilt wont increase their rank until then, it does still drop their enemies rank

tim-ski
x3ap

Post by tim-ski » Mon, 10. May 21, 17:37

Sounds like we're going to need a spreadsheet to optimise this... very X. Seriously, I've been capped at multiple levels of 98% for reasons that defied explanation beyond having hit some invisible coded barrier. How is the player supposed to know that their, say, Boron rep is stuck at rank+98% because their Paranid rep is 3 levels too high? Much of the feedback you're seeing in this thread is born out of confusion with a dynamic system that does not explain its dynamism beyond the occasional red or green arrow. Arrows which, incidentally, can simultaneously describe a 0.1% change of no consequence and an accidental declaration of war.

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Mon, 10. May 21, 17:49

fireanddream wrote:
Mon, 10. May 21, 16:20
How did you maintain this level of rep with all major races? I've been putting off playing FL for the past couple of days because... the dynamic relation means I will have to keep an dynamic blacklist. To exclusively camp in Teladi sectors are just boring.

Meanwhile even I do as good a job as yours, Corps and their sectors are still off limits.

Even while I'm befriending the Teladi I got a bit sad cause the Yaki was my buddy in AP. Always sent my "return abandoned ship" ship to their shipyard and let them take care of the debt collectors.
I was actually in positive relationship with Terracorp as well. For no apparent reason, It has gone down. I only noticed after doing aforementioned missions. :cry:

I do the same thing, camping around Tealdi space hunting for lucrative missions. Its no fun at all, I agree. Lets hope there will be an improvement with next update. :)

Cycrow wrote:
Mon, 10. May 21, 16:23
There is a maximum rank you can achieve if you are at max ranks with their enemies.

once Argon/Boron drop down enough, you will start gaining rank again with Paranid/Spilt

While the notoriety you earn for Paranid/Spilt wont increase their rank until then, it does still drop their enemies rank
Shoot... should have known that earlier. Wasted 2 good agents for nothing.

Ill assume that Argon/Boron rank should be two levels lower to increase Split/ Paranid rank (as im stuck there with splits).
So, its time to blow some Argons up. As much as it hurts to kill friendlies, I badly need that Acinonyx.

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Mon, 10. May 21, 21:12

+1 in the 'relations move too fast' camp.

I assume increasing the points numbers of the middle ranks would be pretty easy to do. I remember seeing these listed on a website or displayed by a mod, and they pretty much go up by a whole order of magnitude for each rank increase/decrease away from neutral. If all relations had the same high-ish points requirement (eg. if every rank had the same number of points as rank 9), reputation would move smoothly and consistently.

It has been suggested by the developers of X3FL (in the pre-release interviews I think) that maintaining neutral relations with every race should be possible, with only the attaining of higher ranks requiring hostilities with their enemies, but the reality seems to be constant flip-flopping between outright allied and hostile states. As it stands right now, players are encouraged to just pick a single 'main' alliance to side with from the outset, and pretty much stick to it.

kermit6664
x4

Post by kermit6664 » Mon, 10. May 21, 21:28

Atleast I got an ok rep with all of the races, burned through agents like there is no tomorrow...........I'm now 90 hours into the save, havent started one sector trader out of fear for F'ing up my rep.
Also, if I do a mission for Boron, Split Paranid or Teladi, my Terran rep go down to almost minimum(Hard mission), it is kinda ridiculous, taking that hard of a hit, transporting a dude from one station to another!

Here is before one mission:
https://ibb.co/4NP4fCh

And after:
https://ibb.co/kmkZWDJ

I just cant belive it is ment to be like this!
I can handle 1 or 2 levels of "rep hit", but this is just beyond!
Last edited by kermit6664 on Mon, 10. May 21, 21:46, edited 10 times in total.

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Mon, 10. May 21, 21:29

Cycrow wrote:
Mon, 10. May 21, 16:23

May we know the soft cap here?

I still dont gain Split/ Paranid rep even after blowing a hole on both Argon and Boron relations. :roll:

Last edited by Klord on Mon, 10. May 21, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

Midnightknight
x4

Post by Midnightknight » Mon, 10. May 21, 21:50

Alright ...

I was starting to enjoy the game really much, even with the Xenon Hub attacked continuously, even with the fact it's really hard to find 25MJ shields in this univers and most of the place selling them actually don't want to sell them to you. (Another issue with this dynamic relations) but now i just want to stop the game and am a bit salty.

Been trying to rise my split relation for the whole day, and it was really hard cause most of the time i couldn't simply dock at their stations. Finally i was allowed in their space and able to do missions for them when i picked a really juicy boron mission to get the money to buy my Ocelot. The joke is after this single transportation mission for 400K credits, i dropped so much in rep with the split i'm shot at sight.

I thought it was a bug, cause it's really stupid but looks like it's a feature and something the devs really don't want to change ... And to me that ruins all the fun.

Yes it was maybe too easy to be friend with everybody in TC, but here we are at the other extreme. It's damn frustrating and impossible and almost everything makes you drop in reputation. You scan illegally someone, you loose rep, you shoot someone you loose rep, that's alright, but you don't gain reputation to the enemies of the race you bullied. You earn rep, again you loose rep. Come on ... Like someone said, what's the issue with taxiing someone of another race? There as splits people in boron stations and vice versa. In your system they just be killed on sight! It makes me think about X3:Reunion when you were shooting by error a ship that get in your fire range in a fight and all the army was suddenly turning hostile and kill you. That's fun for a video on youtube and point how ridiculous is the situation, but it's no fun at all to play it.

So now ... I don't feel like i want to continue as the game is completely screwed, i could take hours and hours to try to rise again the rep, but seriously why would i? It will drop another rep unsuspectingly and have all my assets randomly blown up without much you can do, nothing you can control, it's simply a gratuitous punishment for trying to explore the universe. You don't want to be annoyed? Stay in Boron/Paranid systems and don't do anything else. That's not really the liberty i was hoping in this new X3 with a universe bigger than ever, with many new features that in the end i will just pass on cause there is an annoying mechanic only here for frustration, something you would expect in a pay2win game.

And once again i'm really sorry about that and don't want to be rough, i know this is made by modders and i used most of your mods for TC/AP and enjoyed them a lot, the job here is amazing and i enjoyed it a lot, but this feature is exactly the mod you simply wish to disable or not install cause it's no fun at all, and having it forced this way is a real big issue.
If you don't want to take it off, it needs at least a big rework cause it makes the game completely impossible to play, it's not a sandbox anymore but "Choose your side and fight to death".

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 10. May 21, 22:13

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Sun, 9. May 21, 10:24
Klord wrote:
Sun, 9. May 21, 10:13
I would like to humbly request from the dev team to do something about the dynamic relations in a future update. Its obvious that many loyal pilots are in favor of an adjustment.
We are aware of the feedback and we will discuss possible changes. I cannot give you an ETA or tell you how these changes will look like exactly though.
I mentiond this on the last page, in case you missed it.

Obviously, our focus lies on bug fixes and plot stoppers first.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Midnightknight
x4

Post by Midnightknight » Mon, 10. May 21, 22:40

Yeah thank you missed it.

Maybe you should make a sticky post to tell what you will work on/rework to avoid being spammed by people like me lol.

Thank you for your time.

kermit6664
x4

Post by kermit6664 » Tue, 11. May 21, 01:08

@Devteam, I think you have done a fantastic job with the new mechanics, I truly do, but the consequences of doing one wrong move, and there hence start to "Save Scumming" every move in this game is getting tiresome, I got 86.9 hours(according to Steam) in this game, and my biggest limiting factor is: that I dare not set a trader out, because if I trade with the wrong faction at the wrong time, I'm F*ked, and have to use a couple hours more to get Agents, to smooth over a little error I did.
X games has allways been about:
EXPLORE, TRADE, BUILD, FIGHT..............as I see it, we only get one option out of those four...........and that is Explore..........after that you have to use 200+ hours to trade, to get to the proper building, to then get to BUILD for the "proper" fighting............OK........I got about 2,5k hours in X3:TC, but that is not because it took me that long to build up!
As I said, this game has potential, and I can not thank the "Dev team" enough for this, but there has to be some changes to get to the: TRADE, BUILD, FIGHT, of the game.

As I said, I now have 86.9hours in this game(according to Steam), I've jumped back to AP, where I had a real chance of making a name for myselfe in the universe, I wont throw away anymore hours on this before there has been some changes to it.

zamiel
x4

Post by zamiel » Tue, 11. May 21, 06:26

I just don't see what this adds to the game. It's yet another thing you have to micromanage and all the benefit is that you avoid punishment for playing the game the way you should.
This and the SE changes are just features that take away options.

fireanddream
xr

Post by fireanddream » Tue, 11. May 21, 09:11

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Mon, 10. May 21, 22:13

I mentiond this on the last page, in case you missed it.

Obviously, our focus lies on bug fixes and plot stoppers first.
Thank you guys, truly, for following it up. I just want to make sure that the team knows they are not underappreciated while we keep complaining. :lol:

To summarize our frustration easily: if the Teladi can befriend everyone, why can't the player?

We are not complaining because the game is no longer "easy" or "not exciting enough", we are complaining because the notoriety system is such a foundation of the game, that no matter how the players want to play the game, they cannot go around it. Changes to such a foundation requires the whole game to work with it, and right now, we are having a game largely similar with AP but with FL's notoriety system.

Traders can't even trade like a Teladi.

I did manage to maintain positive relations with the major races, provided that I 1) no longer do any mission for anyone except Teladi 2) still be enemy with all corps except MMMC 3) still be enemy with the two pirates.

I don't believe that's the canonical "trader" gameplay the team envisioned.

I don't play like a pacifist. In AP the terrans were my official enemy. But that was fine because 1) that was my choice, 2) that was not DYNAMIC.

I can blacklist all terran sectors, set terrans to enemy, treat them like the Xenon, treat their sectors like Xenon sectors, from the very start. It was not necessary to DYNAMICALLY check notoriety every now and again, in case my ships been selling to the wrong faction a little too much.

A hard floor for dynamic relation hits would have been fine. Like, the player will never go under -1 from relation hits resulted from relation gains with other factions.

Or, make the hit a fraction of the gain and/or be rank specific. Right now, it's as if the allies would hang anyone who rescue a German citizen in WWII.

FL is so good but I can do nothing but exploring the sectors. If I do missions, trade, build, fight, do piracy, etc., 40% entities of the game would suddenly turn into xenons.

blackice7777
x4

Post by blackice7777 » Tue, 11. May 21, 12:56

I presonally like the idea of dynamic relations since it adds more non-standard play, not like in XT/AP. I think it should be enhanced to provide equal possibilities for those from us who wants to be a friend with all races and for those who likes to "choose your side and fight".

For now, I lost nemesis, all freighters and very close to loose my PHQ, anyhow I can't move it to another sector nor protect it. This is because I started to explore the paranid and split sectos first and recklessly did some missions for them. That's all fine, it makes the game harder to play, but at the same time there should be a possibility to buy new HQ from the friendly races with high rank (I think this is not the case now).

Also, the jumpdrive, transporter and insurance shouldn't be only Argon/Boron/Goner prerogative (I may be wrong, but I've already explored 80% of the galaxy and didn't find the place in paranid/split/teladi sectors where I can buy this things). It obviously forces the player to go for Argon-centric playstyle, to keep rep with Arg/Bor/Gon at quite high ranks just to be able to equip ships. I believe, all these essential for survival devices should be equally available for all races.

Missions. It was just a simple xenon-patrol mission for 3 sectors marked as "Easy". The problem that next 2 sectors were the boron core sectors I'm not allowed to enter, and after very polite warning, the Boron military fleet striked against me. I think that simple mission should be classified in this case as "Impossible" with the record that I will have to enter enemy sectors and paid accordingly. (BTW, what if I would complete this mission? I would become a boron frined and the enemy of race issued the mission?)

Anyway, I would like to say thank you to the devs! I'm writing this not to harm but just to provide yet another piece of information to think of.

chip56

Post by chip56 » Tue, 11. May 21, 13:07

blackice7777 wrote:
Tue, 11. May 21, 12:56
Missions. It was just a simple xenon-patrol mission for 3 sectors marked as "Easy". The problem that next 2 sectors were the boron core sectors I'm not allowed to enter, and after very polite warning, the Boron military fleet striked against me. I think that simple mission should be classified in this case as "Impossible" with the record that I will have to enter enemy sectors and paid accordingly. (BTW, what if I would complete this mission? I would become a boron frined and the enemy of race issued the mission?)
That depends on how many ships you destroyed and where you destroyed them. It could go either way since it consists of two parts actually:

1) You actually would get some Rep with the owner of the sectors in accordance to the xenon ships you killed there. Which means you would get REP+ for Boron and their allies for any destroyed Xenon ships in the Boron sectors and Rep - for their enemies.

2) Finishing the mission gives a huge amount of Rep with the issuer faction.

So if that mission giver was a split or Paranid you would get a massive REP with the Boron at the end of the mission. If you killed a ton of ships in the Boron sectors you might offset the mission REP Malus. Most likly though you would end up with a minus for the Boron and a plus for the mission giver. At least thats how it went with my escort missions of a paranid from boron space. The minus from success was much higher than the plus from killing pirates in Boron space.

Midnightknight
x4

Post by Midnightknight » Tue, 11. May 21, 14:29

Yeah i think the main issue is that you actually loose way to much relation when you gain something. In my game i even stopped my trader from my Free Bofu station cause it was ruining my rep with the splits ... And i was simply selling Bofu.

To be fair you should have military missions and civil missions. Military would make big hit on reputation cause you are actively helping a race against the others, while civilian missions should have a really limited hit if not at all. So delivering weapons to the split for example would make a big hit on Argon and Boron relations while taxiing someone shouldn't. The xenon defenses should be considered as benefits to everyone and not have impact like now, or really little.

Here the actual system for you to do farm for agents to fix your reputation. So in the end it fails to prevent people to be friend with everyone, cause you actually can do it. Farm agents in Teledi space and makes them improve relations with everyone. Secondly it force you to farm. So FL removed a lot of Unnecessary farm from the original games like the Hub (Oh god thank you for that), but in the end add it's own forced farming, what isn't so cool.

Finally there is apparently a mechanic preventing you to get the max rep with Argon if you are not dead enemy with Paranid and vice versa. Ok that's cool, that's the actual way to go, that make sense and this is not completely out of control. Why not focus on this one and remove the other, or at least soften it a lot? With this, when i reach the cap i know i need to take part in the war if i want a better relation, or if i want to remain neutral they won't share their tech with me. Once again makes perfect sense in term of story and gameplay.

PS: and what about the MK3 trader? We set him somwhere in space and look how he mess with the reputation of every race while going for the most profitable routes? Lol could be fun at a point but could get things even more out of hand.

Ilikethis

Post by Ilikethis » Tue, 11. May 21, 14:46

It's unplayable tier awful
Some equipment is locked behind specific race. Important equipment like Jumpdrive for example. You're forced to do lip service for Borons unless you enjoy playing without Jumpdrive. And even simple act of buying Jumpdrive is blasphemy for Splits.
The only way to deal with it is to steal/negotiate with help of Agents. But surprise, the Agent can fail and will fail over and over again wasting your time, tasks and influence. Even horrible boarding RNG system is more reliable than this.

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Tue, 11. May 21, 16:16

Ilikethis wrote:
Tue, 11. May 21, 14:46
It's unplayable tier awful
Some equipment is locked behind specific race. Important equipment like Jumpdrive for example. You're forced to do lip service for Borons unless you enjoy playing without Jumpdrive. And even simple act of buying Jumpdrive is blasphemy for Splits.
The only way to deal with it is to steal/negotiate with help of Agents. But surprise, the Agent can fail and will fail over and over again wasting your time, tasks and influence. Even horrible boarding RNG system is more reliable than this.
Regarding Jump drives. You can buy it from Goners at Elysium of Light. Friendly folks. They also have transporter device.

Saratje
x4

Post by Saratje » Tue, 11. May 21, 17:06

I understand how the relations system works and a lot of it is great, but shooting down a Xenon K in Black Hole Sun shouldn't make me a terrorist in Terran eyes and an enemy of the priest duke to the Paranid. Perhaps it can be adjusted so that you only lose relation with opposing factions when:
  • You directly destroy their ships.
  • You take a mission for a faction and complete that mission (i.e. the Terrans won't like you helping the Argon out directly, but won't get angry if you happen to shoot down pirate or xenon ships in Argon space).
  • You attack ships belonging to allies of a faction.

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”