Feedback after 7.5 hours play

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: Feedback after 7.5 hours play

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 7. May 21, 13:20

correct, its Satellite Early Warning Network

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Fri, 7. May 21, 17:48

Well thank you. :wink:

Nauoa

Post by Nauoa » Fri, 7. May 21, 19:49

I have to say, the choice of the installed weapon systems ob the ships you get is a real pain ine the ass.
First the Mako with the Boron start with particle accelarators. try to hit an M5 with these...
Same goes for the Nemesis, how should you hit an M4 with the installed guns?

bergi9
x3tc

Post by bergi9 » Fri, 7. May 21, 20:27

Nauoa wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 19:49
I have to say, the choice of the installed weapon systems ob the ships you get is a real pain ine the ass.
First the Mako with the Boron start with particle accelarators. try to hit an M5 with these...
I have my Nemesis installed 4 of the 5 preinstalled guns and installed 2 particle accelerator and 2 ISE to hit the M4/M5.
Because the preinstalled weapons for the nemesis drains the energy too fast that I doesn't see any sense of using 5 of them. 4 are enough for my case.

Nauoa

Post by Nauoa » Fri, 7. May 21, 20:38

bergi9 wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 20:27
Nauoa wrote:
I have my Nemesis installed 4 of the 5 preinstalled guns and installed 2 particle accelerator and 2 ISE to hit the M4/M5.
Because the preinstalled weapons for the nemesis drains the energy too fast that I doesn't see any sense of using 5 of them. 4 are enough for my case.

Problem is that there are absoluty NO ISE to buy anywhere. If you dont start as argon you dont get any in the starting sectors. Right now this sucks any fun out of the game because its impossible to beat some cheap m4 you have to for the plot. Great.

edit: nevermind. I forgot about the aiming bug when steering and aiming with the mouse. :roll:
Last edited by Nauoa on Fri, 7. May 21, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Fri, 7. May 21, 20:41

Good to read the efforts of players, Me ! I was struggling .

My Hotas throttle is hopeless, so have to revert to to Z X keys.
Tried for ages to sort that out but no luck, and had to restart.

Tried the start up tutorial, That I failed completely. Nothing worked. All I could do was fly around and shoot. Not a clue what to do, or how to do it. Not a very intuitive tutorial …..

And yes, I spent years playing x3 games.

So abandoned the tutorial in frustration and went for a walk.

Activated game, as the Gonar start, it saying ( what was that word !) Challenging !
Ship is as slow as a slug, probably carrying those huge shields is slowing it down.
Wondered around, logging all the local sectors.
Standard stuff, put the plot on hold whilst I mapped the sectors, so I knew what was what and where !
As the ship was so slow, I used the meagre funds to upgrade it to max speed. Still not that fast, so SETA is a must for getting around.
Realising my money is not a lot, I spend time ferrying energy cells back and forth. This I quite liked, as I get to dock at my old favourite Solar stations.

Activate the plot,
And stumble about wondering how this scanning thing works! Once the brain cells connected, I was off. Doing as was told. Got shouted at by the Piranid to **** off.
Now the scanning device is pointing at the new finds to locate,
Got too close to the cute little ship to be claimed, and damaged it.
OOps.
As it was late, I went to bed.

Conclusion thus far, the text is so small, I have to get so close to the monitor to read it….
The ship is insanely slow.
It is a typical x Game start, very slow, and methodical. I am worried a wrong move, and I have to restart. And that I am not wanting to go through again.
So managing my saves is a big part of the beginning of the game.

Love it.

:D

Erqco
x4

Post by Erqco » Sat, 8. May 21, 04:26

Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 20:41
In the little starting thingy go into input devices and deselect use throttle, that will fix your HOTAS throttle
Last edited by X2-Illuminatus on Sat, 8. May 21, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed full post quote, as they make it more difficult to follow a thread

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Sat, 8. May 21, 20:33

Thank you regarding the throttle, got it working.

zoom, zoom. :)

Pind
x4

Post by Pind » Sun, 9. May 21, 11:26

I used this guide: https://steamlists.com/x3-farnhams-lega ... lot-guide/

Since this was a volunteer project I'm sure they could only play test it so much, and probably with a very hardcore group of players. As with every X game, the start always feels slow and like you need google to get going.

At least we are back with the old X3 UI though, and there are now comms again and you dont have to walk to meet up with reps because there are no damn phones even though jumpgates exist...

Hexadecimal
x4

Post by Hexadecimal » Sun, 9. May 21, 12:05

Loving the return to X3, despite having all DLC's and many hours played X4 just hasn't been enjoyable... It's lost something that the older games had although I can't place what. Think it's mostly down to the way travel works and the new factory system isn't great.

Back on topic, haven't had any issues with the start being slow or Grindy etc... I traded my way through the plot and was in the common wealth in an evening. Maybe some starts are harder than others?

Didn't think to sell the weapons off the freighters but that is definately a good tip.

cheef.che
x4

Post by cheef.che » Sun, 9. May 21, 12:47

Nauoa wrote:
I've figured out that it 's a lot easier to hit with Nemesis with default cannons if use just one side (left or right). However it's required a bit practice to understand where to shoot, but until there are no any better ship, it's the only solution for me.

Hexadecimal
x4

Post by Hexadecimal » Sun, 9. May 21, 15:32

I found with the nemesis that using auto aim works fine but you have to use the keyboard (not mouse) to fire.

For whatever reason using the keyboard And auto aim the guns track better and the spread is closer. Was almost impossible to hit firing with the mouse.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 9. May 21, 17:52

thats because the mouse will be set to cursor fire, and the keyboard to boresight fire.

auto aim doesn't apply to cursor fire.
if you prefer using your mouse, you can remap you mouse to use boresight fire instead

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Sun, 9. May 21, 20:58

Cycrow wrote:
Sun, 9. May 21, 17:52
thats because the mouse will be set to cursor fire, and the keyboard to boresight fire.

if you prefer using your mouse, you can remap you mouse to use boresight fire instead
This is an interesting idea. :!:

That means, boresight fire is always more accurate than curser fire? I only had this problem with Nemesis though.
X fanatic. More of an X3 fanatic.
What about X4? Nah, I prefer a space simulator rather than a walking simulator.

shameless creature
x3ap

Post by shameless creature » Sun, 9. May 21, 21:17

If you have Fight Command Software Mk2, you can activate auto aim and then boresight fire always aims the guns at the lead indicator, if your ship is roughly pointed towards it. This is usually very helpful against fighter-sized targets.

The lead indicator may be inaccurate though, especially when the target is turning instead of flying in a straight line. Then you may be better off with manual aiming / cursor fire, especially against capital-sized targets.

johneh77
xr

Post by johneh77 » Sun, 9. May 21, 21:58

Cycrow wrote:

Thank you I wondered why I was having so much trouble!

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sun, 9. May 21, 22:41

shameless creature wrote:
Sun, 9. May 21, 21:17
If you have Fight Command Software Mk2, you can activate auto aim and then boresight fire always aims the guns at the lead indicator, if your ship is roughly pointed towards it. This is usually very helpful against fighter-sized targets.
In FL you only need Fight 1 installed for that to be enabled; TC & before required Fight 2 (dunno about AP). NOTE: it only works for front-facing guns or any turret you're currently controlling (if you can do that in X3; I can't remember)

Don't forget to hit 'k' to change weps mode from 'semi' to 'auto' once installed tho!
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Mon, 10. May 21, 11:02

Cycrow wrote:

So practically the mouse just replacing the joystick but the base principles are the same as in Reunion?(using boresight) Is that correct way to see it? Maybe the mouse following is somewhat gimballed but the player has to make the leaning on where to aim?
Trying to construct mental image based on other games and movies... terminology. :D
I have 50+% accuracy in Reunion.
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

Drone_101
x4

Post by Drone_101 » Mon, 10. May 21, 18:01

Yeah the Nemesis is really hard to aim the guns on without the aim assist if you're a Mouse2 player, the weapons are so far offset from midline and their convergence point is set to infinity meaning that they're impossible to aim cleanly - I resorted to ramming the fighters. Didn't realise the Mouse2 didn't benefit from Autoaim, did feel very strange how there was a tiny sweet spot that the weapon focal point corrects in, must be where Autoaim actually does kick it on presumably when you're aiming straight at where the borefire would normally fire. From a gameplay experience it seems like a fairly major oversight putting players in a ship with weapons that are ineffective with default controls. :oops:

Presume Mouse+Keyboard is not the intended way to play, but those dog fights really sucked in the Nemesis without Autoaim. Maybe have boresight fire be default even on Mouse2 to avoid the pain point if autoaim is required but doesnt work with the current default control scheme.

Nedimar
x4

Post by Nedimar » Tue, 11. May 21, 14:41

I wonder if being given a Perseus would actually be a better option, since you actually don't necessarily need all the firepower of a Nemesis.

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”