[OUTDATED] Guide to running X3:FL through Proton on Linux

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Unbekanntes Feindschiff
x4

[OUTDATED] Guide to running X3:FL through Proton on Linux

Post by Unbekanntes Feindschiff » Tue, 4. May 21, 18:20

UPDATE:A native build is now available for X3FL. This guide will stay up for those who really want to run the Windows binary through Proton for whatever reason, but you are strongly discouraged to do so

Disclaimer: This is an unofficial way to run the game and in no ways supported by Egosoft. It is meant as an interim solution until there's an official Linux build. While it generally does work really well, please do NOT report any issues that only arise as a result of running the game through Proton to Egosoft, but only in this thread.

Limitations:
  • Joystick twist doesn't work
  • some sector music is slightly sped up or slowed down (happens rarely)
  • you'll be unable to play the native version of X3TC and X3AP through Steam. If you want to keep playing these versions, please make a backup of your X3 Terran Conflict folder before proceeding
  • Quitting the game won't quit all processes and you're forced to forcequit the game through Steam
What you'll need:
  • X3: Farnham's legacy
  • protontricks (you may also use WINEPREFIX and winetricks if you know what you're doing)
  • a custom version of Proton (whether the custom Proton is actually needed hasn't been tested. I just tested it on Proton 6.1-GE2)
Instructions
  1. Make sure "Enable Steam Play for all other titles" is enabled in your Steam settings
  2. For X3TC, X3AP and X3FL, go into the game's properties, go to the compatibility tab and force it to run through Proton 6.1-GE2 and let them update or install them if they're not already installed
  3. Run X3FL once. You'll notice missing sounds
  4. Navigate to /path/to/steamlibrary/steamapps/compatdata/483330/pfx/drive_c/windows and delete system32/gdiplus.dll and syswow64/gdiplus.dll (these are symlinks to the version supplied by Proton and having these symlinks there will cause protontricks to fail)
  5. open up a terminal and run: protontricks 483330 wmp11 devenum
  6. run the game once. Videos will now either not work or have no sound
  7. back in the terminal, run: protontricks 483330 quartz
  8. launch the game again and things will be broken
  9. back in the terminal, run: protontricks 483330 amstream
  10. launch the game and enjoy X3FL
Please note that installing these dependencies in seperate commands and in that very order is (for whatever reason) necessary as installing them in a different order or a single command won't work and the game will crash. I have no idea why. The ways of wine are strange.
Last edited by Unbekanntes Feindschiff on Fri, 9. Jul 21, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
HGN

Roeleveld
x4

Re: Guide to running X3:FL through Proton on Linux

Post by Roeleveld » Wed, 5. May 21, 09:51

Thank you for providing this.

But this should be supported by Egosoft

piranhai aka Dragonslayer
xr

Post by piranhai aka Dragonslayer » Wed, 26. May 21, 06:41

I followed this guide on Manjaro Linux and everything just works. I don't have Issues with music or shutting down the game as mentioned above. I only installed FL.

andreihaiducul
x3ap

Post by andreihaiducul » Thu, 10. Jun 21, 23:13

I tried this, but it crashes frequently when entering a system and the voices don't work. Proton-experimental breaks the music too, but otherwise haven't noticed any difference with versions 5.0-6.3 or the GE builds.

EDIT: I tried again after deleting the `compatdata` folder and started with Proton 5.13, then upgraded to Proton-GE 6.5. Everything seems to be working fine now, including the voices and I haven't had any more (wine-related) crashes. I only needed to overwrite amstream and quartz with protontricks to get the videos working.

piranhai aka Dragonslayer
xr

Post by piranhai aka Dragonslayer » Fri, 18. Jun 21, 22:26

the only issue I had in the beginning is that my game crashed randomly. I fixed this bye setting the grafics from high to medium. Beside that the only problem I encounter is if I alt tab in and out FL the framerate goes permanently down until restart. Beside that if followed the guide mentioned above with the exact mentioned proton version it works fine (the default ones on steam won't work).

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Tue, 29. Jun 21, 12:24

Unbekanntes Feindschiff wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 18:20
Disclaimer: This is an unofficial way to run the game and in no ways supported by Egosoft. It is meant as an interim solution until there's an official Linux build. While it generally does work really well, please do NOT report any issues that only arise as a result of running the game through Proton to Egosoft, but only in this thread.
Any progress yet on getting a version of this which does not require proton?
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

AeroNotix
x3ap

Post by AeroNotix » Wed, 30. Jun 21, 21:37

I'm willing to pay for a Linux version of the game.

How much would it cost for someone to take a look at putting out a Linux build?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 30. Jun 21, 23:02

You don't need to pay anyone to do that. It's being worked on right now.

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Thu, 1. Jul 21, 07:45

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 30. Jun 21, 23:02
You don't need to pay anyone to do that. It's being worked on right now.
Sweet, thank you!
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

AeroNotix
x3ap

Post by AeroNotix » Thu, 1. Jul 21, 13:10

That's great to hear.

Maybe not so great to my employer, but that's their problem.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 9. Jul 21, 12:30

I'm going to unsticky this thread, as the native Linux version is now available. Please let us know how you get on with it.

andreihaiducul
x3ap

Post by andreihaiducul » Fri, 9. Jul 21, 13:36

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 9. Jul 21, 12:30
I'm going to unsticky this thread, as the native Linux version is now available. Please let us know how you get on with it.
Doesn't work from flatpak:

Code: Select all

X3FL_config[1038683]: segfault at 1 ip 00000000f735b693 sp 00000000ffc03eb0 error 4 in libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0.2400.10[f733b000+ab000]
EDIT: linking `X3FL_main` to `X3FL_config` works around this issue

Seems to work fine outside flatpak. We also need a nosteam exe please.

EDIT: I've only played for a little bit but most things seem to work fine and performance is OK. Only the new voice descriptions from X3FL work though so maybe some files weren't converted. (EDIT2: see here for fix)

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”