Linux version?

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

eagledelta
x4

Re: Linux version?

Post by eagledelta » Tue, 4. May 21, 18:16

Prosik wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 18:07
I am permanently stuck on 10.13.6 High Sierra anyway as I have nvidia graphics.
I'm not sure how to put this nicely, but you can't expect people to continue to support software on an OS version that is essentially End of Life from a vendor standpoint. It'd require that they have an older Mac OS system to test on. It's much easier right now to test on Windows and Linux thanks to the Windows backwards compatibility and the Linux Steam Runtime which make older libs available on newer systems.

Apple's decision to do things "their way" just makes things harder.

Unbekanntes Feindschiff
x4

Post by Unbekanntes Feindschiff » Tue, 4. May 21, 18:22

Until there's an official Linux build, I've written a guide on how to make the Windows build run through Proton
HGN

Prosik
x3tc

Post by Prosik » Tue, 4. May 21, 18:30

Probably why XR and X4 are not on the Mac, but having said that X3AP was supported on this iMac from Late 2013.
Wasn't asking for M1, Catalina etc. It will forever be my last Apple product.
Its moot anyway as CBJ said No.

eagledelta
x4

Post by eagledelta » Tue, 4. May 21, 18:36

Unbekanntes Feindschiff wrote:
Tue, 4. May 21, 18:22
Until there's an official Linux build, I've written a guide on how to make the Windows build run through Proton
Does it not work with one of Valve's versions of Proton?

That said, it IS important to note to the Devs that while this IS an option, it makes the native Linux versions of X3, X3:TC, and X3:AP unplayable as the Windows version of the core X3 content must be installed for FL

Unbekanntes Feindschiff
x4

Post by Unbekanntes Feindschiff » Tue, 4. May 21, 18:40

feel free to try. It took me hours of trial and error to get it to a state where everything worked and I didn't want to test through multiple Proton versions by that point.

Also, they are aware of the strong demand for a native Linux build, they are just quite busy and didn't have the time yet.
HGN

jug007
x4

Post by jug007 » Tue, 4. May 21, 22:16

Prosik wrote:
Mon, 26. Apr 21, 01:33
Please also consider an intel Mac version.
I can understand not having the M1 mac version but the intel Mac version should be similar enough to the Linux version.
Problem is also that Apple deprecated their OpenGL support. Not to mention that it was always bad.

gnu.beef
x3tc

Post by gnu.beef » Wed, 5. May 21, 00:53

Can we have an estimate for a linux release date?
X3TC (vanilla+bp): X-TREME/X-TREME 2019-08-31
X3AP (vanilla+bp): Opportunist/Harmless

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Wed, 5. May 21, 07:17

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 6. Apr 21, 20:53
No, it's not a huge amount of work, but it's work nonetheless, and from someone who is extremely busy at the moment.
Why does Egosoft always delay the Linux version of their games? Why is this not done in parallel?
The same problem existed when the previous games were released and this one is only a community mod.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 5. May 21, 09:38

Because we're a small team, and developing in parallel would be expensive, inefficient and completely impractical. This would be true even if the game were earning some money to help pay for that development, but this one is free. And while we're here, please don't insult the team who worked on it by calling it "only a community mod"; it is considerably more than that.

Oh, and one more thing: giving the game a negative review on Steam over this, as you have, is a really great way to kill any motivation the team might have had to look into this further. Good job.

eagledelta
x4

Post by eagledelta » Wed, 5. May 21, 16:59

Roeleveld wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 07:17
CBJ wrote:
Tue, 6. Apr 21, 20:53
No, it's not a huge amount of work, but it's work nonetheless, and from someone who is extremely busy at the moment.
Why does Egosoft always delay the Linux version of their games? Why is this not done in parallel?
The same problem existed when the previous games were released and this one is only a community mod.
Please don't take this kind of attitude with the devs. We're a much smaller market than the Windows users and this work was done largely for "free", there's no reason to sound entitled about it.

I, for one, am grateful that the Linux community gets X Universe ports and am thankful to CBJ and the devs for their work, even if it IS delayed.

Turmfalke2

Post by Turmfalke2 » Fri, 7. May 21, 09:12

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 09:38
Because we're a small team, and developing in parallel would be expensive, inefficient and completely impractical. This would be true even if the game were earning some money to help pay for that development, but this one is free. And while we're here, please don't insult the team who worked on it by calling it "only a community mod"; it is considerably more than that.

Oh, and one more thing: giving the game a negative review on Steam over this, as you have, is a really great way to kill any motivation the team might have had to look into this further. Good job.
Is there anything we can do to help getting it on Linux?

Otas Elite
x4

Post by Otas Elite » Fri, 7. May 21, 10:05

Cloning device or time machine probably. Unfortunately my supply of both ran out.

Klord
x3ap

Post by Klord » Fri, 7. May 21, 13:57

CBJ wrote:

Very well said !!!
X fanatic. More of an X3 fanatic.
What about X4? Nah, I prefer a space simulator rather than a walking simulator.

eagledelta
x4

Post by eagledelta » Fri, 7. May 21, 17:20

CBJ wrote:

Definitely don't listen to him. He doesn't speak for all Linux users. I personally am a Software Dev myself and wholeheartedly understand the time limits. Thank you for your work regardless!

eagledelta
x4

Post by eagledelta » Thu, 20. May 21, 19:55

Just curious if there is an update to this. Wouldn't be too much of a big deal with Proton on Steam, but because of the dependency on X3 Core, this means that installing Farnham's Legacy through Proton breaks the Linux native installs of TC and AP since Steam doesn't allow both a Linux and Windows copy of X3 core to be installed simulatenously

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 20. May 21, 20:13

Once we're confident that the EXE part of the game is stable and not going to receive any further updates, I will bother "the Linux guy" about when he'd be available to get this sorted out. While I can probably borrow him for one build, I very much doubt I'll get a second chance. :)

eagledelta
x4

Post by eagledelta » Thu, 20. May 21, 21:17

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 20. May 21, 20:13
Once we're confident that the EXE part of the game is stable and not going to receive any further updates, I will bother "the Linux guy" about when he'd be available to get this sorted out. While I can probably borrow him for one build, I very much doubt I'll get a second chance. :)
That works for me :)

gnu.beef
x3tc

Post by gnu.beef » Mon, 24. May 21, 12:31

CBJ wrote:
Thanks for the update, very much looking forward to this.
X3TC (vanilla+bp): X-TREME/X-TREME 2019-08-31
X3AP (vanilla+bp): Opportunist/Harmless

Wendell
x3tc

Post by Wendell » Sat, 19. Jun 21, 11:51

CBJ wrote:
Is that still Timon37? If so they've been there a few years now :)

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 19. Jun 21, 12:02

Yes, it is still timon37. :)
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”