Unveiling X3: Farnham's Legacy – a new chapter for an old favourite

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

alexalsp
x4

Re: Unveiling X3: Farnham's Legacy – a new chapter for an old favourite

Post by alexalsp » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 00:07

Oldman wrote:
Wed, 7. Apr 21, 00:01
Hi CBJ :)

Probably a bit of a daft question but what's the computer (and OS) specs. for running Farnham's Legacy?
I presume they're the same as for X3 Albion Prelude, but just thought to ask anyway. :)

Oldman :)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/4833 ... ms_Legacy/

egornov.ivan
xr

Post by egornov.ivan » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 00:26

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 6. Apr 21, 19:12
If you want to volunteer to translate it, we can provide the text. :)
Run a public weblate server please.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 01:13

Unfortunately (but unsurprisingly) our text file format is not supported by that tool.

egornov.ivan
xr

Post by egornov.ivan » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 01:29

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 7. Apr 21, 01:13
Unfortunately (but unsurprisingly) our text file format is not supported by that tool.
It won't help? http://docs.translatehouse.org/projects ... ml2po.html

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 01:30

That appears to only work for "flat" XML. Ours is paged, and also contains certain formatting strings.

egornov.ivan
xr

Post by egornov.ivan » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 01:57

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 7. Apr 21, 01:30
That appears to only work for "flat" XML. Ours is paged, and also contains certain formatting strings.
There is also this one, but it looks outdated
https://gitlab.gnome.org/Archive/gnome- ... ter/xml2po
https://github.com/tomschr/xml2po-ng

Y-llian
x4

Re: NEWS: X3: Farnham's Legacy

Post by Y-llian » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 03:04

MegaBurn wrote:
Tue, 6. Apr 21, 23:06

Well then I'm in luck, for once, I'm still on dialup, 26.4kbps (3.2kB/s) most days, drops to 24kbps when it rains with frequent disconnects, govt has put hundreds of millions into expanding service in WV, mostly sucked up by Frontier Communications for massively inflated costs on small upgrades (racket), but these days their service is actually slowing down, lines degrade below DSL minimums and aren't fixed, my lines were never upgraded and get noisier every year. I tried to start a county gigabit fiber project, had $25.3M in funding lined up, but local good ol' boys did a power grab, kicked me and other techs off the project, put their friends in charge, then it fizzled out in spectacular incompetence, wasting $350k. Only hope was SpaceX Starlink service, now maybe Biden's infrastructure projects too, if its a purely federal project without much state or local control, til then I have to drive 17 miles to decent open wifi to download anything. But I digress, Steam doesn't work on dialup, hasn't since around 2009, tried hassling with shuttling game data via laptop but game validation never finishes, for me its GOG or nothing.

-Burn
Even though my message was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I’m sorry to hear about your difficulties. Tech-poverty or perhaps more accurately, connectivity-poverty increasingly adds to social/economic inequalities. Whole communities (particularly rural) either have no connectivity or very slow, prohibitive speeds. I’m somewhat more fortunate living in Europe, but even here there are still massive gaps across the continent. Not to mention that poorer nations suffer disproportionately - infrastructure costs often means trade offs in other, equally vital, areas and even when investments are made, technology moves at such a pace that the infrastructure is always lagging behind wealthier countries.

I’m impressed by the way you tried to help your community, that really should be lauded. And I hope, the negative experience won’t stop you from wanting to help in similar fashion again. I’ve spent quite a bit of time in the U.S. and I’m continually amazed that, despite its wealth and expertise, infrastructure investment seems so lacking. Here’s hoping that Biden’s plan is all it’s cracked up to be and somehow, will get through Congress!

But anyway, back to the topic at hand... So this is real after all? Best April fools yet! Let everyone believe you’re bluffing only it’s not a bluff after all. Seriously Ego, you’re messing with our fragile minds!

sumppi
xr

Post by sumppi » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 04:31

Really hoping that one of the added features will be support for UI and font scaling for higher resolutions. Albion prelude's UI was fine a decade ago but now many people have upgraded to 1440p or 4k monitors.
Wouldn't really be surprised if it didn't get added and won't blame Egosoft for ignoring it since it is a free expansion but I still hope for it
Welcome to the Federation starship S.S. Buttcrack!
John Crichton, Farscape season 3 episode 4

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 06:54

I was hoping to wake up in the morning and look at the text ... :? :cry:

MegaBurn
xr

Post by MegaBurn » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 08:27

Y-llian,
Thank you for your thoughtful reply, and sorry I stepped on your dialup joke, it was funny, but also helpful to advocate for non-Steam/GOG users.

CBJ,
Is there anything GOG users could do to help facilitate a GOG release? Such as voting it up on GOG's game request list? Maybe a forum thread for GOG users to pledge to buy and gift an extra copy of X3:TWP to help cover any release costs? Testing?

Ketraar, Cycrow, X2-Illuminatus,
Any new script functions or script engine improvements?

Any scripts/mods merged in?

Is diplomacy race wide, or is there a new faction system, or is it more of a facade with mission scripts like corporations?

Any improvements to the comm menu? (e.g. like Anarkis' Enhanced Comm System for interacting with Pirate's Guild, Yaki Armada, and MBRR)

Any improvement to ship variants, and how variants are handled? (e.g. lately I've been nitpicking XRM raider, vanguard, sentinel, hauler variant balancing, generating several hundred new variants with X3 Customizer, and trying to figure out a balanced way to introduce a similar line of advanced, enhanced, prototype variants, and contemplating a balanced system to convert ships from one variant to another at most shipyards, and for rare variants using token wares seeded into ship loot plus huge sums of credits)

TS/TM rebalance was mentioned, is that stat tweaks or larger role change? (e.g. TM = Transport Medium, with similar variants to TS, in addition to carriers)

Any TS/TM combat variants? (e.g. TS/TM bombers and gunships, TM corvettes, TM carrier XL, with a system to convert salvaged ships into those variants, for use by pirates)

Looking forward to FL.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 10:24

MegaBurn wrote:
Wed, 7. Apr 21, 08:27
Any new script functions or script engine improvements?
Dont think the forum software posting limit would allow the full list, but yes Cycrow added "a few" things to SE and MD.
Is diplomacy race wide, or is there a new faction system, or is it more of a facade with mission scripts like corporations?
Not sure I understand the question tbh, but Diplomacy has 2 main aspects, one is the way factions stance are defined towards eachother and how that effects player interaction. The second part is the tools player has to interact with factions through diplomacy. This goes from influencing relations to gaining access to things otherwise blocked (due to relations for example).
TS/TM rebalance was mentioned, is that stat tweaks or larger role change?
TS especially were completely rebalanced so that they various variants make more sense wrt to role, hopefully choosing a TS is more "difficult" then before where really only one or two would make sense to buy. TM were then adjusted to "match" the TS changes.
Any TS/TM combat variants?
You will like the new ships. :)

MFG

Ketraar

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 11:00

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 6. Apr 21, 19:12
If you want to volunteer to translate it, we can provide the text. :)
How do I get it? Or wait for the release of the addon?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 11:03

You will have to wait a little, but I may be able to provide it before release.

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 11:25

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 7. Apr 21, 11:03
You will have to wait a little, but I may be able to provide it before release.
Thanks for the answer, I will humbly wait)) :) :x3:

aquatica
x4

Post by aquatica » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 15:58

Thank you everyone!

I so love you guys. Really! I was never into modding X's besides the most important things (that later became integrated to the game like some of the trading scripts) so this opens a new venue for me too!
Only some 500 or so hours spent on X3 series (I think TC took the most of it, and maybe half of that was on utterly underwhelming PC with so bad FPS That every battle there were was an issue for me :D)

I just CAN't WAIT! I know my big problem is the Disney's May the 4th-releases, but I think FL wins. By far.

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 19:21

I'm super excited for this and I've never given up hope for something new for X3, I know that something official will come up sooner or later :) Oh and XBtF theme used in the trailer hits the spot.

May is going to be really special not only because of new adventures for X3 but also because of Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered coming in late May. Those will be my two hot games for this year spring season and beyond because both titles have a great replay value.
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

Blake00
xr

Post by Blake00 » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 05:37

This is brilliant news!!! Just brilliant!!!
Blake's Sanctum:
- Total Conversion mods: Star Trek Doom 2, & Star Wars Civilization 2
- Game Shrines: Age of Wonders, Babylon 5 Fan Games, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls Series, Dune Games, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica Series, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory Series, Starflight, & Star Trek Games
- Movie & TV Shrines: Lord Of The Rings & Hobbit, & Star Trek
- Emulation

MegaBurn
xr

Post by MegaBurn » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 09:09

Ketraar,
Thanks, sounds good.

Do drone carriers produce drones directly, or are drone wares produced by factories, or bought from shipyards?

Can other ships deploy DC drones? (e.g. fighter drone mk3, keris mk2?)

Does the FL plot involve a tour through unknown sectors, like the Unfocused Jump Drive, or like Random Sector Management via gate hacking?

On the new SE and MD stuff, I'll volunteer to help with documentation on the wiki.

On diplomacy, is it the same large races as AP, or more smaller factions?

I meant the old race system is kind of monolithic and limiting for relations among smaller groups (especially hostility between groups within a race, e.g. rival pirate gangs). A more granular faction system, with some simple rules and supporting logic, would allow for more nuanced and dynamic role-play. There are lots of "facade factions" defined in corporations, jobs entries, stock market listings, old BBS news, pirate gangs, Xenon groups, member sectors of the Argon Federation, Split Families, local sector authorities suddenly cut off from their parent faction, etc - each could be a faction (maybe excessive). Freelancer had a faction system a little like this (albeit smaller than X3), but there are probably better examples.

Need beta testers?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 10:12

Drone carriers don't create thier drones internally, they are created by your headquarters. However the drone carrier will use the HQ to replace drones automatically

MegaBurn
xr

Post by MegaBurn » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 14:40

Cycrow,
Thanks, didn't expect HQ usage.

If my questions are annoying please says so, I see modding as part of the game, a creative sandbox, but I don't want to scare off regular players.

Anyone else seeing Freelancer every time "FL" is mentioned?

-Burn

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”