Can't claim abandoned Aran...

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Brinnie
x3tc

Can't claim abandoned Aran...

Post by Brinnie » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 22:44

I have found an abandoned Aran in Sanctuary of Darkness, when I get close to it the option to claim it is not there.
Do capital ships need to be boarded? Unusual as it may seem since TC I think I have only attempted boarding once and I am not sure I was even successful.

If I need to board it, being with no pilot can I do it with any marines or do they need to be rambo's rank?

BrigandPhantos77
x4

Re: Can't claim abandoned Aran...

Post by BrigandPhantos77 » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 04:23

The Aran can only be taken by boarding it.

If you have the ability, purchase a jump drive installation kit. Available from Terracorp. Jump the thing to a jump beacon in friendly space.

Any marines should do. The thing is very clunky and difficult to move. Top upgraded speed is about 12 m/s. Upgrading the cargo bay on it is very expensive. Do not attempt to dock it to any station while in system. It will get destroyed. It clips through the PHQ when docked.

The marine skills for boarding should not matter as it is not shielded. But I do recommend a healthy number. Spacewalk or boarding pods should be fine, but remember the pods will hurt the hull of the Aran and it's already at low hull to start. Keep that in mind with regards to the engineering skill of your marines. Hacking should be good for at least one of those marines taking part.

"And not all capitals need to be boarded." Frigates that you "return" do not need this, but you miss a boarding attempt / fight skill training if you use the claim method.
Peace is a state of mind!
War is absolute!
~ Phantos ~

DanKara
x4

Post by DanKara » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 07:23

Brinnie wrote:
Sun, 26. Mar 23, 22:44
I have found an abandoned Aran in Sanctuary of Darkness, when I get close to it the option to claim it is not there.
Please be aware that now that you found and 'unlocked' the Aran to you via LFL it is now also visible and targetable by other ships. The Xenon can and will destroy the derelict Aran. You might be advised to return to an earlier save (to protect the not yet found Aran as invisible).

The problem with 'claiming' a derelict CapShip is, that the comand works only within less than 100m (?) from the center of the ship. I am not sure if it is possible to get as close with the Aran because of its size. Though I remember trying this, I can't remember the results ...

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 10:50

Thanks for the heads-up guys, I'll take note immidiately.

@ Brigg... as I mentioned I have no idea on how to board so I'll quickly do a bit of research and grab a few dozens marines in the meantime. Logistics and funds are not a problem, the man in charge of the boarding operation is.

@ Dankara... I have dropped a Jump beacon next to it so that I could return to it at a later time, I ll make that a lot sooner now that I know is at risk. I mistakenly thought that while unclaimed and also extremely far out in the sector it would be left alone by the Xenons but now that I know better I will try and get to it before they do and I will bring everything I got with me.

As far as claiming goes I don't think it has to do with distance, the option is not greyed out it is just not there at all.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 19:28

DO NOT leave a Beacon there! That's even more valuable than the Aran. Write down the location and leave it. Although, if it's exposed by the LFL, that may not be an option for you.

And simply grabbing Marines won't get you the ship. Untrained marines would cause too much damage and the ship has so little hull left it's nearly unboardable to begin with.
You need maxed out marines and even then you still need to repair the hull some before boarding.

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 21:47

Jimmy C wrote:
Mon, 27. Mar 23, 19:28
DO NOT leave a Beacon there! That's even more valuable than the Aran. Write down the location and leave it. Although, if it's exposed by the LFL, that may not be an option for you.

And simply grabbing Marines won't get you the ship. Untrained marines would cause too much damage and the ship has so little hull left it's nearly unboardable to begin with.
You need maxed out marines and even then you still need to repair the hull some before boarding.
So far so good, it is still there. Anyway I have only left one of the cheap JB (Lucike's jump buoy), in the meantime I am spending a fortune on training marines.

DanKara
x4

Post by DanKara » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 07:21

Brinnie wrote:
Mon, 27. Mar 23, 10:50
As far as claiming goes I don't think it has to do with distance, the option is not greyed out it is just not there at all.
Now that you say it this way I may remember this too :gruebel:

wrt Boarding: Jimmy C is right about 'Marines not fully trained in Engineering' to damage the boarded ship. Its prob. around 10% per deck. For Hacking, Mechanics and Fighting any bunch of 2-3 stars (max 66 skill?) will probably do (if a full group of 25 started from a M7M is used). If using 10-12 Marines (from M6 Maru / Acin(?) a fighting skill of 4 stars on average may do (I've done it with other M2/M1 with marines that were trained to 100 in all - except Fighting).

To counter the damage done through boarding you can try to repair the Aran beforehand. I am not sure if the derelict Aran is selectable for an M7D Repair Drone Carrier (I couldn't repair NPC-stations this way) but I am convinced you can order a group of M4 Drones (extended) to 'attack my target' and thus increasing the hull/health of the Aran pre-boarding. It will take some time though...

[if you play already ***modified*** why not just spawn in your own Aran or add the Aran-blueprint to your HQ?]

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 08:20

DanKara wrote:
Tue, 28. Mar 23, 07:21

wrt Boarding: Jimmy C is right about 'Marines not fully trained in Engineering' to damage the boarded ship. Its prob. around 10% per deck. For Hacking, Mechanics and Fighting any bunch of 2-3 stars (max 66 skill?) will probably do (if a full group of 25 started from a M7M is used). If using 10-12 Marines (from M6 Maru / Acin(?) a fighting skill of 4 stars on average may do (I've done it with other M2/M1 with marines that were trained to 100 in all - except Fighting).

To counter the damage done through boarding you can try to repair the Aran beforehand. I am not sure if the derelict Aran is selectable for an M7D Repair Drone Carrier (I couldn't repair NPC-stations this way) but I am convinced you can order a group of M4 Drones (extended) to 'attack my target' and thus increasing the hull/health of the Aran pre-boarding. It will take some time though...

[if you play already ***modified*** why not just spawn in your own Aran or add the Aran-blueprint to your HQ?]
Well with the Aran's hull at 16% it would be a problem, so I'll let the marines go to school until they are topped up or at least better than they are now.
Drones do no repair it, I have tried it, but I didn't think about telling them to attack. I am going to try that.

My game is always modified, it's the first thing I do when I start a new run, there are too many scripts that I couldn't play without. But I don't like the idea of spawning it that way, I am actually glad I came across it, it gives me a valid reason to have a go at boarding and it 'll sure keep me busy doing something new for a while too. Also I read about people boarding combat ready M1s and M2s, I should be able to capture a broken down, no pilot, no shield Aran. I will have a go though.

Cheers for the tips.

johneh77
xr

Post by johneh77 » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 18:24

If capturing the Aran hasn't changed in the last few years we had to use your suit repair laser to turn it hostile to board also. It often paid to repair it some with your suit laser since its health is randomly very low, assuming you have time!

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 19:44

johneh77 wrote:
Tue, 28. Mar 23, 18:24
If capturing the Aran hasn't changed in the last few years we had to use your suit repair laser to turn it hostile to board also. It often paid to repair it some with your suit laser since its health is randomly very low, assuming you have time!
Sorry, I don't quite get it, if it turns hostile when I use the repair laser on it how do I repair it consequently?
Isn't it likely to squash me if I carry on with the laser?

Also I am guessing I would have to do it for a very long time to make a difference.

But... I am going to add your suggestion to the things I am going to do to capture it and I thank you for it.

I am still going to have for the marines though.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 22:18

the repair laser in FL wont cause ships to go hostile, nor will ships attempt to evade.

you can repair NPC ships without issue

DanKara
x4

Post by DanKara » Wed, 29. Mar 23, 07:16

Brinnie wrote:
Tue, 28. Mar 23, 19:44
johneh77 wrote:
Sorry, I don't quite get it, if it turns hostile when I use the repair laser on it how do I repair it consequently?
What johneh77 refers to is a different situation. In TC and AP the ARAN was a random find in Unknown Sectors that were reached by the Unfocussed Jumpdrive. The ARAN there was invisible and thus untargetable (as the ARAN is in FL until you discover it by LFL by getting very close). With TC/AP the invisibility meant it was not a selectable target for boarding (from the get go). You had to make it hostile by firing a few shots (blindly) first. Because of the low hull (some reported less than 5%?) it was/is recommend to use the Repair Laser for those blind shots, there was/is no feedback other then the battle music start playing but after that the ARAN was a viable target for Boarding.

As Cycrow stated, firing the Repair Laser at NPC-ships is no longer viewed to be an act of hostility. You can use this now in the act of getting a ship to bail. (Firstly reducing targets hull hoping for a bail. Secondly Apologize. Thirdly Repair, Forth shoot again. There were situations were I could repeat this cycle up to three times. At times the target ships seems to have conflicting orders (proceed or flee or repair) and often comes to stand still, where I could repair it up to like 75%. Alas because of my very low moral at that time, the pilots would never bail for me.)

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Wed, 29. Mar 23, 15:01

Thank you guys for enlightening further me on the matter.

I have already tried the repair laser from the space suit and I can confirm that the Aran didn't turn hostile, as a matter of fact nothing much happened. Even with SETA on, the hull was not going up in percentage, I am sure it is just a matter of waiting long enough, but I think I'll wait for the marines to get better ( I am currently training them) and then I will try boarding.

The hull is currently at 16%, I am hoping that I can get away with capturing it without fixing first.

Agimar
x3ap

Post by Agimar » Wed, 29. Mar 23, 16:14

Brinnie wrote:
Wed, 29. Mar 23, 15:01
Thank you guys for enlightening further me on the matter.

I have already tried the repair laser from the space suit and I can confirm that the Aran didn't turn hostile, as a matter of fact nothing much happened. Even with SETA on, the hull was not going up in percentage, I am sure it is just a matter of waiting long enough, but I think I'll wait for the marines to get better ( I am currently training them) and then I will try boarding.

The hull is currently at 16%, I am hoping that I can get away with capturing it without fixing first.
Top-Marines will scratch the hull only a little bit. ;)

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Wed, 29. Mar 23, 18:27

Brinnie wrote:
Wed, 29. Mar 23, 15:01
Even with SETA on, the hull was not going up in percentage, I am sure it is just a matter of waiting long enough, but I think I'll wait for the marines to get better ( I am currently training them) and then I will try boarding.
The HP numbers are too large. Open the Info window on the ship instead, and you can see the numbers change as you use the Repair Laser on it. Veeeerry sloooowly.

johneh77
xr

Post by johneh77 » Wed, 29. Mar 23, 19:15

DanKara wrote:
Wed, 29. Mar 23, 07:16
Brinnie wrote:
Tue, 28. Mar 23, 19:44
johneh77 wrote:
What johneh77 refers to is a different situation. In TC and AP the ARAN was a random find in Unknown Sectors that were reached by the Unfocussed Jumpdrive. The ARAN there was invisible and thus untargetable (as the ARAN is in FL until you discover it by LFL by getting very close). With TC/AP the invisibility meant it was not a selectable target for boarding (from the get go). You had to make it hostile by firing a few shots (blindly) first. Because of the low hull (some reported less than 5%?) it was/is recommend to use the Repair Laser for those blind shots, there was/is no feedback other then the battle music start playing but after that the ARAN was a viable target for Boarding.

As Cycrow stated, firing the Repair Laser at NPC-ships is no longer viewed to be an act of hostility. You can use this now in the act of getting a ship to bail. (Firstly reducing targets hull hoping for a bail. Secondly Apologize. Thirdly Repair, Forth shoot again. There were situations were I could repeat this cycle up to three times. At times the target ships seems to have conflicting orders (proceed or flee or repair) and often comes to stand still, where I could repair it up to like 75%. Alas because of my very low moral at that time, the pilots would never bail for me.)
While were on the subject is there a way to get the unfocused jump drive in FL?

DanKara
x4

Post by DanKara » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 07:03

johneh77 wrote:
Wed, 29. Mar 23, 19:15
While were on the subject is there a way to get the unfocused jump drive in FL?
In Vanilla-FL (1.3): No. And likely will never come as stated by KETRAAR a while back.
However currently there are some unofficial patches done by CYCROW that turn your game to ***modified***. I think one of them (re-)enables the unfocussed JD.

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”