Discovery Points

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

herocrafter
x4

Discovery Points

Post by herocrafter » Wed, 4. Aug 21, 15:01

Are discovery points limited?

I see that you get discovery points for scanning some asteroids except you don't if you set that drudgery to your fleet. So those lost points, what happens to them? Lost forever, put back into some point pool to be doled out in other asteroids or whatever?

Hwitvlf

Re: Discovery Points

Post by Hwitvlf » Thu, 5. Aug 21, 07:50

Someone said that Discovery Points generate slowly as you fly around. You also get points for finding new discoveries which spawn as you find the old ones, so points are technically unlimited. However, it wouldn't be practical to grind many beyond what is spawned initially at game-start.

I don't think you can recover lost points for auto-scanning asteroids. I haven't found many great things to spend the points on so I wouldn't worry too much if you've lost some.

Turmfalke2

Post by Turmfalke2 » Thu, 5. Aug 21, 10:58

I was offered a blueprint for 14000000, so I hope there are at least that many points.

Novvak
x3ap

Post by Novvak » Thu, 5. Aug 21, 11:01

You can even buy a blueprint for Aran for over 35 million points, but I doubt anyone will ever be able to farm that many throughout the game.

Jimmy C
x3tc

Post by Jimmy C » Thu, 5. Aug 21, 13:36

I've seen some posts that imply the Aran may be found in either of the enemy sectors in the game after they start spawning enemies. Maybe even before, but I haven't checked.

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Fri, 6. Aug 21, 19:16

A couple of times I've paid points to a rep for a "discovery", only when I head to the sector it's supposed to be in there's no discovery there. At the moment the only discoveries I haven't claimed are the engine and rudder upgrades that I'm saving for when I have a better ship to equip them on.

Agimar
x3ap

Post by Agimar » Fri, 6. Aug 21, 19:46

Sovereign01 wrote:
Fri, 6. Aug 21, 19:16
A couple of times I've paid points to a rep for a "discovery", only when I head to the sector it's supposed to be in there's no discovery there. At the moment the only discoveries I haven't claimed are the engine and rudder upgrades that I'm saving for when I have a better ship to equip them on.
There is a discovery, but very far away from sector-center.
Last edited by Agimar on Sat, 7. Aug 21, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.

Midnightknight
x4

Post by Midnightknight » Sat, 7. Aug 21, 02:28

Agimar wrote:
Fri, 6. Aug 21, 19:46
Sovereign01 wrote:
There is a discovery, but very far away from theor-center.
Yeah can be 400Km away from the center. This whole discovery hunt turn ridiculous pretty fast cause of this. And when you understand they mostly spawn in pirate or Xenon sectors you don't pay for this anymore and go fetch from time to time if you really want to.

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Sat, 7. Aug 21, 05:28

Midnightknight wrote:
Sat, 7. Aug 21, 02:28
Agimar wrote:
Sovereign01 wrote:
Yeah can be 400Km away from the center. This whole discovery hunt turn ridiculous pretty fast cause of this. And when you understand they mostly spawn in pirate or Xenon sectors you don't pay for this anymore and go fetch from time to time if you really want to.
That's the thing, I go to those sectors only there's no indication on the HUD that there's even a discovery there which means I don't even know which direction to head in. If the Guild rep knows there's a discovery in the sector he must also know which part of the sector it's located in?

Midnightknight
x4

Post by Midnightknight » Sat, 7. Aug 21, 09:26

Have already been debated and the devs mostly said it was fine like this and wouldn't change it. When i said to Cycrow how impossible it was to get more than a few millions points he answered he could farm (I don't remember the number) points per hour and it was then possible to get the Aran BP. About the silly distance it was spawning, you had many people come around and say "Oh that's to make exploring the game worth".

So yeah i know how you feel, but that's how it is and by the way the game will have no more patch, so your best luck is to mod it now. Personally i stopped bothering, most of the good idea that i really enjoyed in FL are systematically destroyed by this kind of non sense. It's just like if the devs wanted to improve the game on any aspect, but not too much, so they on purpose adds annoying "features" to all their upgrades.

I used the ej script to locate them personally and tried to farm them. Believe me even with the coordinates you will give up pretty soon as flying for hours in nothingness to get 10K discovery points is just such a complete brainless game design.

Deathifier
xr

Post by Deathifier » Tue, 10. Aug 21, 04:57

Sovereign01 wrote:
Sat, 7. Aug 21, 05:28
Midnightknight wrote:
Sat, 7. Aug 21, 02:28
Agimar wrote:

That's the thing, I go to those sectors only there's no indication on the HUD that there's even a discovery there which means I don't even know which direction to head in. If the Guild rep knows there's a discovery in the sector he must also know which part of the sector it's located in?
In my experience there seems to be different categories of the randomly generated discoveries (i.e. not those created at game start, which are almost always easy to find).

1. "Distant" discoveries, which seem to normally spawn far from sector centre in one of the corners.
The bigger the sector, the further away it is, I think the furthest so far has been around 500km from a gate.
Usually these are Special Discoveries however some regular discoveries are also that far out.
They are, however, not far from the ecliptic (y=0) so in theory you can use explorer software with a huge radius and it will eventually pass close enough to detect it.

2. "Close" discoveries, which seem to normally spawn close to sector centre.
These you might detect just by entering a sector, or as you go gate to gate, as they tend to be <75km from centre sector and thus in range of the LFL.
However these are usually junk - small quantities of goods, a few hundred credits - though occasionally it's a nice weapon or a regular discovery.

3. Derelict ships, so far I've mostly seen M5's but a M3 did appear.
They can be near or far or somewhere in between and they are a bit easier to find since they show up on the map when in ship scanner range.

The spawn rate for me has so far been about as fast as I can collect them and I tested this using the All Seeing Eye script, with 4 to 5 being the cap of simultaneous spawns.

Sadly because it is so hard to find the distant discoveries, even knowing the sector they are in, the whole concept of hunting for discoveries starts to break down when that "hunting" is going to a sector, starting the explorer command software, then maxing out SETA until you detect it, then find it's just another 250k points which is kinda nice if you really need points though you then have to weigh up the time cost of getting those points and whatever you intend to acquire with them vs. the time cost of getting the same thing other ways.

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”