Construction parts not locking together

Forum for sharing construction plans and loadouts.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Candaan001
x4

Construction parts not locking together

Post by Candaan001 » Thu, 28. Sep 23, 00:51

Hi fellow builders,
I've been trying to construct a simple gate defense structure with just Argon Defense Bridge, Argon Defense disk and Argon Cross connection as below.

Code: Select all

+ - - - 0 - - - +
|               |
|               |
|               |
0               0
|               |
|               |
|               |
+ - - - 0 - - - +
Every part snaps to its mating connection except for the very last corner, for me in the top right, when I was building it.
Am I doing something wrong? I have made several attempts to create something like this and the 'snap to' function always seems to fail me at some stage.
I haven't had any real problems with stations that I can think of.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Re: Construction parts not locking together

Post by alt3rn1ty » Thu, 28. Sep 23, 10:05

I have experimented with a few builds which included what I would call a closed loop, ie if all parts are equal length and angles then the last connector should snap to both the last and first module in the loop. And it has worked for me in at least one build situation I was doing.

The only thing I can think of is there are many ways to accidentally slightly alter a modules angle (an accidental drag of the attitude circles and/or x/y/z lines), and even if only one of the modules is slightly putting the rest out of alignment which follow that module, then that last connection may not work snapping at both ends (I think its because the UI is unable to decide which of the preceding modules snapped angles does it also change to make the last snap work, for all the programmers of the UI know, any of your previous angle changes are intentional).

Only thing I can suggest is start from scratch and be very careful not to drag anything even slightly when placing them, in 6.20 I have noticed placing modules you can sort of give a slight aftertouch to a modules placement changing the angle slightly even if you didnt intend to.
May have something to do with mouse sensitivity/FPS in my case, Y.M.M.V.
Modules are also very fiddly to select the right part of the module (without touching the attitude circles/lines) when zoomed out. Zooming in to the part you are moving around gives more accurate control of selection.
Also if you have edited a defence module, to setup turrets incorporated, and then copy the module so as not to have to redo all the setup multiple times, any slight attitude angle on the module you copied from can be lost as you place the copy, causing a difference in the chain of modules angles.
Last edited by alt3rn1ty on Thu, 28. Sep 23, 13:56, edited 2 times in total.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Dj_FRedy
x4

Post by Dj_FRedy » Thu, 28. Sep 23, 11:13

If it happens to you again, go to the 'Loadout' menu of any module that supports equipment and then return to the construction map, the map is refreshed by eliminating all the 'exclusion zones', aka red zones where modules cannot be placed.
This can happen if you drop modules on the holomap in an invalid location, overlapping it with another module while the 'Allow module overlap' setting is disabled, using the right mouse button, thus creating an exclusion zone that is not removed correctly. This exclusion zone becomes increasingly larger if you continue dropping modules with the right mouse button in these red zones, creating a new contiguous zone equal to the surface of the dropped module. So entering the Loadout menu and then returning to the construction map to 'refresh/restore' the construction plan is useful in this case.
This could very well be a bug report, although I have left out several more technical aspects that I have found in a specific function that handles part of this action.

If all this doesn't help, you may be facing the module at the wrong angle, as 'alt3rn1ty' points out, and the 'snap to' function as you say, does not connect the module.

These would be my thoughts on this, or maybe you can share your construction plan to see what else we missed.
"All my contributions to the Technical Support and Public Beta Feedback sections will be concise and to the point, no diatribes, that's what the other sections are for".
Thank you for your efforts.

Candaan001
x4

Post by Candaan001 » Fri, 29. Sep 23, 01:05

Thank you both for your suggestions.
I'll give it another go tonight after work, and post my findings and an exported .xml if I cannot get it to work further.

Candaan001
x4

Post by Candaan001 » Sat, 30. Sep 23, 04:50

Hi guys,
Same problem again.
I've attached the XML and if someone could have a look I would be very grateful.
Attachments
Defense Grid.xml
(39.01 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

Dj_FRedy
x4

Post by Dj_FRedy » Sat, 30. Sep 23, 11:47

Ok, rotate the 'Cross 01' piece 180º, that is, the blue 3D gizmo has to point down, try to place the piece now.
"All my contributions to the Technical Support and Public Beta Feedback sections will be concise and to the point, no diatribes, that's what the other sections are for".
Thank you for your efforts.

Candaan001
x4

Post by Candaan001 » Sun, 1. Oct 23, 06:25

Dj_FRedy wrote:
Sat, 30. Sep 23, 11:47
Ok, rotate the 'Cross 01' piece 180º, that is, the blue 3D gizmo has to point down, try to place the piece now.
Perfect!
Thank you very much.

Return to “Construction Community”