[FEEDBACK] Input Profiles

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

BlueGreen
x3

Re: [FEEDBACK] Input Profiles

Post by BlueGreen » Wed, 22. May 24, 06:40

There's also a fairly serious bug with custom input profiles in the save menu still present even in beta 5. If you want me to repost this as a separate thread, just let me know, but it is a bug from at least 6.x versions, and probably older.

Basically, if you remap the "menu select" control to the same joystick button that the save/load game menus' "delete" button has as a shortcut (it shows up as "button 3" in my case) in the save/load menus, it becomes impossible to actually use the joystick to actually save or load games. Worse, because of this delete shortcut button, the "accept" button actually activates the deletion confirmation dialog, which in English matches the overwrite confirmation dialog word-for-word with the exception of a single word ("overwrite" vs. "delete") making it all too easy to gloss over what the prompt is actually saying and confirm an unintended deletion of a save file since you'd be expecting the overwrite confirmation in this case instead.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to remap or delete this shortcut for the delete button, at least in the UI.

Similarly, for the profile I posted that was intended to mimic the image of the new default controls on a PS4 controller, a different variation of this bug occurs. In this case the "menu select" button functions as expected to actually save a game, but the "menu back" command is assigned to button 3 meaning that attempting to back out of the save/load dialog without actually selecting a file now brings up the prompt to delete the currently selected file instead. At least in this case the confirmation prompt is totally unexpected which will likely make it somewhat less likely to mistakenly delete a saved game, but thanks to this same shortcut, it then becomes impossible to exit the save/load menu using the expected button for "back". The only ways to escape the menu with the profile I've posted then become:
[list]
[*]Use keyboard/mouse (defeating the purpose)
[*]Saving/loading the game in a slot (in both cases, selecting a slot exits the menu)
[*]Using the "Main Menu Tab Right/Left" buttons to switch to one of the other tabs before hitting the "menu back" button (since the conflicting shortcut is only active on the save/load menus)
[/list]

BlueGreen
x3

Re: Bug: Radial menu sometimes appears incorrectly

Post by BlueGreen » Wed, 22. May 24, 07:40

I'm not sure if it's intentional behavior or not, but I figured out the trigger. If my mouse is moved (no need to click any mouse button, just move) prior to opening the radial menu with the controller, the radial menu appears at the position of the mouse cursor rather than the center of the screen despite triggering the menu using a controller button rather than a keyboard or mouse button. If I reopen the menu again after this happens, the mouse position is ignored, and the menu opens at the center of the screen as expected.

In first person mode, the behavior doesn't seem like intended behavior since the mouse cursor isn't visible when it's controlling the direction the player is looking instead. If I pause the game and move the mouse so that I can see where the cursor ends up, opening the radial menu then will cause it to appear centered wherever the mouse was prior to resuming the game. Even without pausing the game, just looking in random directions prior to opening the menu will cause it to happen, though with the cursor effectively invisible in first person mode, the menu will appear in "random" locations as a result.

I've experimented a bit with the radial menu and the mouse just now and there does seem to be behavior to allow keyboard + mouse only users (no controller/joystick) to interact with the radial menu which would make the whole menu appearing at the position of the mouse cursor make sense in flight mode given the cursor is visible then, but even if that is the case, in first person mode the menu should likely always appear in the center since the crosshair is always in the center of the view in lieu of a mouse cursor elsewhere on the screen.

First person aside, a possible QoL enhancement for control setups similar to mine would be an option to have the radial menus always open in the center of the screen no matter where the mouse cursor might be, even when the mouse cursor is actually visible. The ability to use the mouse to select a given radial menu option doesn't seem to be impacted by the actual location of the menu, so even some non-controller players may like such an option.

Sparalem
x4

Post by Sparalem » Wed, 22. May 24, 11:33

Hello,

I tested the new controller command, and it's better than ever, but something is bothering me: accelerate on LT and decelerate on LB, why don't we accelerate on RT and decelerate on LT? Like we do in most of race game ?

I think using triggers for speed is a better option, and for primary and secondary attacks use RB and LB.

However, the radial menu is great, I totally agree. Nothing bad to say about it.

jojorne
x4

Version 7.00 - Joypad, Mouse and Keyboard Profile

Post by jojorne » Thu, 23. May 24, 21:16

I will share my input map profile. It was manually edited. I also removed the Vive and Oculus entries.
Version 7.00 - Joypad, Mouse and Keyboard

jojorne
x4

Re: Version 7.00 - Joypad, Mouse and Keyboard Profile

Post by jojorne » Fri, 24. May 24, 22:33

jojorne wrote:
Thu, 23. May 24, 21:16
I will share my input map profile. It was manually edited. I also removed the Vive and Oculus entries.
I had to remove the use of the left stick to move the menus because there is a hidden functionality for moving the holomap that I can't replicate in the same way I can on the keyboard.

S!rAssassin

Post by S!rAssassin » Mon, 27. May 24, 15:04

DEV's, make a toggle in menu to permanently deactivating "Flight Assist" with activating it only while keypress. Like simulator mode or something. Or make "Flight Assist" not auto toggle to on.

Joshua the Bear
x4

Post by Joshua the Bear » Wed, 29. May 24, 21:22

Testing the default KBM stuff, the thing I am missing is a default binding to "run" on the keyboard.

Joshua the Bear
x4

Post by Joshua the Bear » Thu, 30. May 24, 02:52

So, wrt controls configs there's a few tiny things I would really like:
I'd love a "primary steering" and "secondary steering" digital control, and for those to be the defaults. It would make KB/M adaptive steering significantly easier to use if Q and E were either "roll" or "steer" depending on whatever the primary steering axis of my mouse is. I love adaptive steering on HOTAS, but when playing with KB/M I have to awkwardly shift my left hand around if I'm playing with adaptive steering and flying a roll-centric craft.

Secondly, and I realize this is a very niche request, I'd like it if the analogue axis could also bind a single direction to a single axis. For instance, I have rudder pedals (the thrustmaster ones that go with the FCS hotas), and it'd be nice if I could assign strafe up to one of the toe brake axis and strafe down to the other one, whilst those controls were still analogue. hence, in addition to strafe up-down I'd also love to have a seperate "strafe up" and "strafe down" control. Again, I realize this is very niche and silly.

jojorne
x4

Post by jojorne » Thu, 30. May 24, 20:51

🎡 ☸️ 🛞

Instead of one, why not multiple wheels at the same time?

🤔

Joshua the Bear
x4

Post by Joshua the Bear » Mon, 3. Jun 24, 11:29

Currently testing the Thrustmaster FCS T16000m hotas profile. Small notes:

It's probably best to use the joystick for looking around and the pov-hat for walking controls, rather then the other way around. Looking around does require some precision that the POV hat lacks.
(right now, the control setup would be the equivalent of using WASD for looking around and using the mouse for forward movement)
Not a huge fan of putting pause game on the button where you previously put boost. Would put boost back to where it was and use the button currently assigned there for disabling flight assist.
Quite liking how there's a reverse button asigned by default now.
I am a huge fan of putting the strafe controls where you have them right now.

QuackPewDuck
x4

Post by QuackPewDuck » Thu, 6. Jun 24, 21:43

I see that they are resetting up thrustmaster t16000m HOTAS? The flight school does not work with it. Even when I skip it, it feels broken to me. I thought it might be my thrustmaster t16000m HOTAS, but it works with other games. When will they be done fixing it?

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Tue, 11. Jun 24, 19:02

Anyone have some mapping for the Gulikit King Kong 2, is it even possible to use the gyro with the game?

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”