6.00 RC3 Travel drive thrust direction is "sticky"

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

LameFox
x4

6.00 RC3 Travel drive thrust direction is "sticky"

Post by LameFox » Mon, 10. Apr 23, 11:37

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NJ1vMF ... share_link

This is weird and I don't know quite how to describe it, so I'll just show steps.

1. load save. Should be in a stationary Lux facing Eye of the Beholder (keep facing it, we'll use that as a landmark).

2. enter travel drive.

3. once you hit around 3k m/s, toggle off travel drive (shift 1, not backspace) and yaw rapidly 90 degrees right, wait about 2 to 4 seconds, then yaw back to face Eye of the Beholder.

4. for some reason, your ship should now have momentum to the left.

At no point during this manoeuvre does your ship actually thrust to the left. It appears that when you yaw right, your forward momentum from travel drive is converted to leftward momentum, and then when you yaw back to face Eye of the Beholder, it remains leftward relative to your ship, instead of carrying you toward Eye of the Beholder as one would probably expect.
***modified***

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: 6.00 RC3 Travel drive thrust direction is "sticky"

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 10. Apr 23, 13:42

Does the issue disappear or change significantly with 'flight assist' off? (Flight assist does change the handling characteristics and trajectory control reference points.)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Mon, 10. Apr 23, 13:48

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 10. Apr 23, 13:42
Does the issue disappear or change significantly with 'flight assist' off? (Flight assist does change the handling characteristics and trajectory control reference points.)
If I am reading the icons correctly, flight assist defaults to being off after toggling off travel drive, until you perform some other input (like backspace or boost). Turning it off in advance of activating travel drive, then doing everything else the same way, did not make an apparent difference.
***modified***

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 10. Apr 23, 13:57

Thanks, I wondered if the first yaw manoeuvre toggled flight assist, or if it didn't but the second did. That might explain an inconsistency (still a bug though).
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Mon, 10. Apr 23, 14:07

So far as I can tell things like yaw, pitch, roll, don't toggle it back on. I used to do this fairly commonly, when exploring for instance. Travel drive a bit, turn it off, do some long range scanner pings while drifting at speed, then travel drive back on. I don't remember seeing this happen before, I think normally my momentum continued in the direction I had been travelling. Assuming something in the new physics has changed it.
***modified***

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”