x4 panic crash and firefox

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Halpog
x4

x4 panic crash and firefox

Post by Halpog » Sat, 8. Apr 23, 10:53

since rc3 i get more and more "panic" crashes in X4 when firefox is open, or i try to open it

it crashes and says : not enough space and puts out a random number for "missing "space ...
the game is on a nvme2.0 drive with over 120GB free space.

firefox is running oin a SSD along with my windows

so far i had this problem 1 or 2 times since beta 6.0 but since rc3 it happens more than 5x a day.
with 5.1 i could run x4 for days without trouble , even with firefox in the background while watching a movie or surfing arround while the game runs in sinza

so, what to upload so it can be checked out ?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: x4 panic crash and firefox

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 8. Apr 23, 11:19

What and how is all explained in the 'Please Read Before You Post' sticky thread near the top of this forum.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 8. Apr 23, 11:20

Browsers often consume a lot of memory, which can cause problems with the game. Note that this is RAM, not disk space, that is running out.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sat, 8. Apr 23, 12:43

There was this report not long ago which also was due to Firefox (or the combination): viewtopic.php?f=192&t=452793&p=5168251& ... x#p5168251

On a sidenote I always have X4 & Firefox running in parallel with ~a lot of open tabs~ (40+ish :oops: ) including streaming movies, not experiencing any problem so far. (beta or not) My system has 32GB as well and Windows 10.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 8. Apr 23, 13:15

That linked thread (which the OP here took part in) also seems to offer a solution:

"... latest update from Firefox (v111.0.1 (64-bit) ) appears to resolve this issue."

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Sat, 8. Apr 23, 18:12

firefox https://crash-stats.mozilla.org/report/ ... 9c70230408

dxdiag :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q3Cn0I ... share_link

vulcan info
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hcn0W7 ... share_link

the game crashged while firefox was open.
the game runs in the background with and without sinza
sometimes the crash appears after some time, sometimes directly when open firefox. sometimes when swtching a tab or opening a new tab.

the X4 panic error dosent reffer to RAM space .. he reffers to space on a harddrive ( i assume, iam able to tell the differenz betwen them )

x4 is so far the only game that crashes with firefox.
without firefox its totaly fine.
games that use more ram and are depending more on hardware runs smoothly with firefox..
as i mentioned i had this problem only since beta 6.0 before with 5.1 and up it never happened.
since RC3 this error occure more than normal... yes a crash is normal it always can happen. but not 5x a day and more.

i will try to make a screenshot from the next error message if iam fast enough. because it auto closes as soon as i tab out of game or in game when it crashed

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 8. Apr 23, 18:58

Your Nvidia graphics driver and hence Vulcan can be updated from version 152.824 to 153.141.

All of your Windows Error Reports in your DxDiag are with ucrtbase.dll, which may indicate an issue with your Visual C++ Redistributable (Visual Studio) installation. Some users have noted that such issues can be solved by Windows Updates, if available to you.

You should not be running short of drive space any time soon, according to your DxDiag.

Good luck.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Sat, 8. Apr 23, 19:23

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 8. Apr 23, 18:58
Your Nvidia graphics driver and hence Vulcan can be updated from version 152.824 to 153.141.

All of your Windows Error Reports in your DxDiag are with ucrtbase.dll, which may indicate an issue with your Visual C++ Redistributable (Visual Studio) installation. Some users have noted that such issues can be solved by Windows Updates, if available to you.

You should not be running short of drive space any time soon, according to your DxDiag.

Good luck.
thnx for the repley ..
yes i should not run out of disk space on any drive :) i got plenty ....
i check for the visual studio installation
grafik card drivers i can update, but they should not be the issue....
as soon as i get a new crash i will update this posting here

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Sun, 9. Apr 23, 18:40

ok screenshot is not possible since nothing works after such a crash
the crash appeared while the game was running in background and forefox was open, i tryed to open a new tab and it crashed. open sites : google. twitter ....wanted to open facebook too but ...
crash error is :

x4 panic SMem::allocate() failed allocating 9671671 bytes error-not enough space

this crash only pops up after a firefox crash .
after this crash nothing is working anymore , forefox wont react, tabs are not opening or closing. popup blocker arent working anymore
starting of any other program, software, game is not working either.
the whole PC needs a restart after this error.

so far i tryed to run firefox without any adblocker ... not working ...
tryed to run in save mode .. not working....
try to run the game without firefox ... all works flaweless
tryed to run firefox without the game.. all works fine
tryed running firefox with other games.. all fine
tryed to run the game with chrome .. all fine
tryed to run the game in background in sinza mode and use firefox ... crash
tryed to run the game along with another game, to stress memory .. lol even that worked ....

it realy seems the combination with firefox and the game is not working....

thats the FF crash report :
https://crash-stats.mozilla.org/report/ ... 15c0230409

dxdiag vulcan info is linked above ( nothing changed there yet ) did not had the time for it.but grafik is not the problem that would be other crashes and also would be listet in the debuglog of win anyway

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 9. Apr 23, 18:46

As I said before, the problem is that your system is running out of available RAM. That's a perfectly reasonable amount of memory for the game to be trying to allocate, and it simply isn't available, presumably because Firefox has claimed it. It has nothing to do with disk space.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Sun, 9. Apr 23, 20:48

:?:
x4 is using 4.5ßß MB ram and firefox is using 1 gb with 2 opened tabs .....

i got 16 GB ....
so what iam missing ?
ram.jpg

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 9. Apr 23, 21:26

Is that the memory situation when the game is running normally, or when the game has just crashed? Memory consumption by applications can go up and down a lot over time.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Sun, 9. Apr 23, 22:33

thats a screenshot from the time the game runs smoothly since 4 to 5 hours

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Sun, 9. Apr 23, 22:39

iwith split vendetta it was mostly arround 3.5 GB and never crashed... till 5.1 no problems, i could run the game for days in background and watch netflix or surf the web....this crashed start to come up since beta 6.0
at the beginning i did not paid much attention to the crashes, because yes . could happen from time to time... but since rc2/3 its getting more and more

i would ask if the memory managment from the game got changed ,reworked, updatet or something like that. because there is a memory usage increase since beta 6.0

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 10. Apr 23, 00:41

If the game was running smoothly at the time of your screenshot then it tells us nothing, because at that point there wasn't a problem. If something is eating up memory then we'd need to see a screenshot at that time to be able to indicate what it was.

Nothing has changed with regard to memory management. The game will use more memory with more expansions installed, and with longer-running games, because there is more in the game universe. There may also be a bit more memory consumed with newer versions for other reasons, too, but that doesn't indicate a problem. There is certainly nothing in the game that would be a problem on a 16GB system, so as I've explained already, something else is consuming that memory.

At least two other cases of this have been tracked down; one turned out to be Firefox, the other Windows Defender.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Mon, 10. Apr 23, 06:19

small update, i left the game running last night and went to bed. in the morning the game was crashed WITHJOUT firefox running or open ...
same crash error message, just different number

about the screenshot. it was justz to show u that the game runs smoothly with 4gb ram usage and firefox too ...
but i doubt the either the game or firefox starts using ram up to 16gb...

windows defender is turned off on my side totaly.this defender is killing my nerves anyway with his background checks and checking of files every 10 mins

i will set up a 2nd monitor today to keep watching the ram usage before it crashes. making a screenshot when it crashes is realy hard :P because shortly after the crash the ram usage showen is 0 ...

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Mon, 10. Apr 23, 08:00

Sorry if I missed it but did the game manage to do any crash dumps (look in the game folder where the game .exe is, there should be some X4-blahblahblah.dmp file/s). And if so can you upload the most recent for Egosoft to look at.

Also do you have automatic crash dumps enabled?
Options Menu -> Settings -> Privacy Settings and set Send crash reports to YES/NO.
So that the game automatically uploads them to Egosoft.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Mon, 10. Apr 23, 09:32

.. Forgot to mention, for your ucrtbase.dll problem, try doing a system file check.

Step 1. Type cmd in the search box, and then right-click the Command Prompt from the top result and select Run as administrator.

Step 2. In the elevated Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow command and hit Enter. After that, this tool will scan and repair the corrupted system files. This process may take you some time and make sure that it completes.

See if that fixes anything
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

Seeker of Sohnen.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Mon, 10. Apr 23, 09:35

Sigh! seems I am in a forgetful mood this morning ..
After the SFC /SCANNOW completes, reboot the system

Seeker of Sohnen.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Mon, 10. Apr 23, 10:50

here is the letest dump files

crash without fireforx running
X4_600_2023_04_07_17_54_39.dmp
(182.15 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

crash with firefox running
X4_600_2023_04_10_06_10_47.dmp
(178.67 KiB) Downloaded 22 times