x4 panic crash and firefox

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Halpog
x4

Re: x4 panic crash and firefox

Post by Halpog » Mon, 10. Apr 23, 10:52

@alt3rn1ty

already did this steps yesterday after the first repley from Alan

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Mon, 10. Apr 23, 10:54

Halpog wrote:
Mon, 10. Apr 23, 10:50
here is the letest dump files

crash with fireforx running
X4_600_2023_04_07_17_54_39.dmp

crash without firefox running
X4_600_2023_04_10_06_10_47.dmp
corected dmp file names :P since there is no edit button here :P

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 10. Apr 23, 11:14

The crashdumps confirm that they are out of memory errors. They don't add any information about what else is consuming the memory and causing that to happen.

Good Wizard
x4

Post by Good Wizard » Mon, 10. Apr 23, 11:51

Sorry to chime in...

I want to point out that in Windows 10 (probably in Windows 11 too) it is possible to limit the memory for a process:

Windows+R -> msconfig -> Boot Options -> Advanced Options. There you can enter a memory limit, or let it at 0, for no limit. Never tried this for myself, but miscellaneous Internet sources mention it.

So you could check if you have this limit set, for some arcane reasons.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Mon, 10. Apr 23, 13:26

ok i think i can freely say now its a x4 problem

why ?
this is a screenshot from the time the game crashed 3 seconds ago . with using 5GB and mroe ram..while firefox is running too
there is no differenz in the firefox comsuming of ram when the game crashes or runs fine...
ram while crash.jpg

i also uploaded a screenshot on the first page where the game runs smooth with comsuming 4gb of ram, even with firefox running and 2 opened tabs
i keepet only 2 tabs open in the past 3 days of testing this out,
firefox allthe time uses arround 1gb of ram.

the game crashes WITH and without firefox after a playtime from arround 4 to 5 hours.to be sure its not just my PC i took another PC to play the game , i just installed it on the 2nd one
same grafiks same ram just another CPU.
there the crash occures too after a play time from arround 4 to 5 hours.same error message same stuff.

so yes it is a ram problem.. but not a problem in case of to less ram .. 16gb should not be to less to run a game propperly.not even when pythoon is involved as script language. ( we know pythin is extremly ram hungry )
i will try the same stuff with 32 gb ram tomorrow.on booth Pc`s here

the game definatly should not be crashing with a usage of 5gb ram. since there is nothing else that uses more ram except for firefox.. and FF can be ruled out as the reason since the game crashes even without FF running.

the only thing that could explain this is, that the game itself use 4 to 5 gb to run, but pre reserv 3x more ram than its actually uses , because there is no way internaly for the game to free up ram of get ridd of scripts that loaded in game that are obsolete at some point ...
what i mean is...its loading a script for example for a xenon fleet to be createt and fly from A to b ... and keeps it in the ram, even when the fleet is detroyed. instead of getting ridd of that script from ram it keep s it running and fill the ram with trash and obsolete parts.
no other game is using 16 GB .. not even cyberpunk heavy modded, or witcher 3 heavyily modded.. since witcher 3 clearly uses python as script language.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Mon, 10. Apr 23, 13:26

@good wizzard
ram is not limitet in any boot options .

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 10:37

ok next update :

i was running the game with 32gb the last 6 hours, and it was running smoothly with and withoiut FF no matter wich one was in background or forground.

with 16gb it crashes.
the game reserves up to 9-12 GB ram .. whysoever .....
it runns with 4 to 6 gb ram..
thats overall more ethan 16gb

as i said already. never had this crashes before RC 2/3 .....
the gameinformation says the minimum required ram is 8gb .. and advised is 16gb .....

so either the game infos need to be changed...
or there is something wrong with the game and its handling of ram and memory.

firefox itself is NOT the reason why the game crashes... it crashes with firefox ( while firefox is running with 1 to 1.5 gb ( depending of opened tabs ))
and it crashes without FF.

what i cant say is, why the game reserves so much ram upfront after all ...

here is a screenshot where it runs with 6 gb and reserves up to alomost 10gb
ram 2.jpg

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 10:53

Please stick to posting whatever evidence you have found. Spending half your posts drawing your own conclusions from that evidence is not helpful, and just makes it harder to pick out what might or might not be useful.

One important piece of information that you've not provided is whether or not your game is modified.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 13:13

oO we had this topic already in other postings :P i only play vanilla .. never modded

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 13:32

Thanks. I know that you used to play VRO and so could you please confirm that you started a fresh clean vanilla gamestart for the 6.00 betas and did not play on from saves that were once modded or edited, even if all mods were disabled?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 13:49

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 11. Apr 23, 13:32
Thanks. I know that you used to play VRO and so could you please confirm that you started a fresh clean vanilla gamestart for the 6.00 betas and did not play on from saves that were once modded or edited, even if all mods were disabled?
yes i did . i startet UNmodded games for beta ... since 6.0 not even using any mod at all.

i do not continue a game that was onced modded without mods.
i do start every beta patch a new game with budget gamestart.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 15:56

Please upload the savegame you've been trying this out with, and provide a link.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 16:12

@cbj here u go

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JQYtMC ... share_link

btw its not spezific to a save. but i can start a new game play till it crash and upload this one too if u need maybe that woulkd help too, to compare them maybe ?

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 19:16

startet a new game fresh game. being in game for about 1 hour or so
game running with firefox
and the game already reseerved 14gb ...?!?!
i realy doubt this is normal
ram 3.jpg

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 19:18

here is the save for the fresh game
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_2IH25 ... share_link

Kolohe
x4

Post by Kolohe » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 20:03

there is a known bug between Microsoft, Defender, and Mozilla. This problem is not X4. Go see bugzilla.mozilla.org. There is also a discussion on it on reddit.com/r/technology

I suggest you follow the recommended changes the Mozilla folks advise and see if it helps.

Kackstift
x4

Post by Kackstift » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 20:07

how are you pagefile settings?
https://www.google.com/search?q=pagefil ... e&ie=UTF-8

had the same problem beta 5 or 6.. and after changing them to "recommended settings" the problem vanished.. btw i had the problem with chrome AND firefox

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 20:08

Kolohe wrote:
Tue, 11. Apr 23, 20:03
there is a known bug between Microsoft, Defender, and Mozilla. This problem is not X4. Go see bugzilla.mozilla.org. There is also a discussion on it on reddit.com/r/technology

I suggest you follow the recommended changes the Mozilla folks advise and see if it helps.
this discusion is about the bug between firefox and defender .....booth have nothing to do with the game and the crash

defender is not even running on my system anymore since a long time. its disabled in registry and policy configs.
booth is not making trouble with the game and its reserving of full availible memory

but thanks for the advise, i will read it anyway

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 20:18

Kackstift wrote:
Tue, 11. Apr 23, 20:07
how are you pagefile settings?
https://www.google.com/search?q=pagefil ... e&ie=UTF-8

had the same problem beta 5 or 6.. and after changing them to "recommended settings" the problem vanished.. btw i had the problem with chrome AND firefox
i have a defined pagefile with 12gb ....2 days ago with 16 gb and atm running on "let windows choose" ... i had the same idea about changing the pagefile, but that did not helped so far....

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Tue, 11. Apr 23, 22:29

short update since last game start i played 3 hours with a fresh gamestart , vanilla, postet at fresh game start a screenshot of ram usage ...
now look at this after 3 houors
ram 4.jpg
can somone explain this please ?
how is that even possible ?
as u can see the game uses 5 gb reserved also 17GB and is using 3gb from pagefile ( memory compression )

how is that even possible ?

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”