6 rc 1 - input mapping tutorial - Explained.

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Vadi
x3ap

6 rc 1 - input mapping tutorial - Explained.

Post by Vadi » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 09:48

When doing the input mapping tutorial "fire primary weapon" keybinding part, one option is to keep it as it is - a spacebar. However, pressing the spacebar doesn't advance the tutorial - only remapping the input to something else advances it.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: 6 rc 1 - input mapping tutorial

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 11:51

That seems logical - if it is a key mapping tutuorial but you don't remap anything but press the default control instead, then what mapping have you learned to do?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Vadi
x3ap

Post by Vadi » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 16:30

But I'm fine with it being a space and I just wanted to the tutorial to move on - so that wasn't very clear.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 16:52

Then you need to change it and change it back again. The tutorial can't guess that you don't want to change it. If it moved on without you changing anything then someone who accidentally closed the menu would lose the instructions before they'd had a chance to try them out.

Vadi
x3ap

Re: 6 rc 1 - input mapping tutorial - Explained.

Post by Vadi » Fri, 31. Mar 23, 07:00

The tutorial could understand that when I selected the "fire primary weapon" keybinding and pressed space, it means that I want to keep the keybinding the same and move on. I believe that would be most intuitive.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 31. Mar 23, 10:40

We understand that, but the purpose of the tutorial is to teach the player how to remap a key, and without concern for the control profile that the player might set up later on using that knowledge. It is assumed the player ran the tutorial because they want to know how to do things. Once the simple actions expected by the tutorial have been done, and outcomes can be changed later if necessary, it moves on to the next phase.

I suppose that what you are asking for in practice is a 'skip this phase of the tutorial' or 'next phase' function.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Vadi
x3ap

Post by Vadi » Sat, 1. Apr 23, 11:40

Yeah, that would work perfectly fine!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”