[TESTREQUEST] Station Editor

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Zloth2
x4

Re: [TESTREQUEST] Station Editor

Post by Zloth2 » Thu, 5. Aug 21, 05:04

When I make a station in the station architect start, the free camera accelerates when I hold down a movement key. When I edit a station in my normal save game, it doesn't.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

Cratz
x4

Post by Cratz » Fri, 6. Aug 21, 11:55

[4.10 Beta 5] I found a bug in the station editor, i added a terran disc defense module and when i edit the loadout i see a terran pier 3 E ghost.
Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/q2B9j9w

Btw the others modules are all in low quality during the loadout edit, i dont like.

Cratz
x4

Post by Cratz » Fri, 6. Aug 21, 11:59

Cratz wrote:
Fri, 6. Aug 21, 11:55
[4.10 Beta 5] I found a bug in the station editor, i added a terran disc defense module and when i edit the loadout i see a terran pier 3 E ghost.
Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/q2B9j9w

Btw the others modules are all in low quality during the loadout edit, i dont like.
Savegame: https://www.mediafire.com/file/0r9ych4b ... 29.gz/file (rename the file quicksave.xml(2).gz to quicksave.xml.gz)

Szines Geza
x4

Post by Szines Geza » Thu, 12. Aug 21, 06:08

The new camera mode is horrible!
Slow, cumbersome, uncomfortable. I built quite a bit in the game. Obviously I’m used to the previous one and it can affect, but this new one is a strong setback for me. It may seem simple to a novice player, but the old one is much more usable!

The station editor is good. Module rotating was a good idea! The colour of the modules is ideal.

G315t
x4

Post by G315t » Thu, 12. Aug 21, 13:33

Szines Geza wrote:
Thu, 12. Aug 21, 06:08
The new camera mode is horrible!
Slow, cumbersome, uncomfortable. I built quite a bit in the game. Obviously I’m used to the previous one and it can affect, but this new one is a strong setback for me. It may seem simple to a novice player, but the old one is much more usable!

The station editor is good. Module rotating was a good idea! The colour of the modules is ideal.

I like the new camera, but yes it has to be made faster, its to slow. Especialy because the movement acceleration does not work all the time. So sometimes you move with the slowest speed.

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by DocAce » Thu, 12. Aug 21, 16:00

Hey all, the next update will make a bunch of fixes and improvements to station editing, including the "standard" camera controls. You can look at the upcoming log for details. If you switched to the free look I would be really curious if you still like it better than the improved standard version.

sueil
x4

Post by sueil » Thu, 12. Aug 21, 19:19

The new camera is so much better.

Szines Geza
x4

Post by Szines Geza » Thu, 12. Aug 21, 20:55

sueil wrote:
Thu, 12. Aug 21, 19:19
The new camera is so much better.
Do you mean the experimental camera?

rudi_pioneer
x4

Post by rudi_pioneer » Thu, 12. Aug 21, 23:46

Loving the camera updates to 4.10 beta 6. Would be great if there was help text on bottom of the station editor, something like:

"Hold left mouse button to move camera up and down, and hold right button to rotate. Mouse wheel to zoom in and out..." and so on. And have it change contextually based on what player is doing.

kn0xv1lle
x4

Post by kn0xv1lle » Fri, 13. Aug 21, 11:34

DocAce wrote:
Thu, 12. Aug 21, 16:00
Hey all, the next update will make a bunch of fixes and improvements to station editing, including the "standard" camera controls. You can look at the upcoming log for details. If you switched to the free look I would be really curious if you still like it better than the improved standard version.
I didn t use the free Look Version but the improved standard version looks 1000% better then it was before.
I like the progress u are making on station editor. Good Job dev, keep it on.

But for Rotation of Modules why is rotation by mouse still the only option ? A Fast rotation by 45 degree by pressing a key by x, y or z axis would make so much sense and would be a really big improvement. Rotating by Mouse only feels so clumsy and is not even needed for most players.

G315t
x4

Post by G315t » Fri, 13. Aug 21, 12:51

DocAce wrote:
Thu, 12. Aug 21, 16:00
Do I have to remove the code line from the file now?

G315t
x4

Post by G315t » Fri, 13. Aug 21, 13:43

modern left click mouse dragging of the view area: good thing
right click camera roation from viewpoint
. good thing.
WASD View movement speed. Good
4/8/6/2 movement good.
XY move Camera in / out speed Good
+/- Camera in / out good
closing utility areas to maximise view on building area: good

STRG+Z undo is still STRG+Y in German version. not good
(Key binding different on German Keyboards Y and Z are exchanged as we all know) Not intuitive because STRG+Z is undo in almost all other software. STRG +Y is "repeat last step" in most software instead. Please exchange keys in German Version.

Show environment Toggle: good
Allow module overlab toggle: good
Angle step Toggle VERY good :!:

Modules rotate around central axis. not good.
Please change basic rotation axis to rotate the module around main connector :!:
Please change rotation to be around used connector if module is already connected to other modules.

We have mouse module movement Y Axis and x axis. Why not add a shift key + mouse movement = Z axis movement to it :idea:

I also still would prefer a simple 3D software style movement / rotation tool :!:

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by DocAce » Fri, 13. Aug 21, 13:46

G315t wrote:
Fri, 13. Aug 21, 12:51
Only if you want to test the improved "classic" camera controls.

G315t
x4

Post by G315t » Fri, 13. Aug 21, 13:47

Also "select modules set Filter: Good :!:

G315t
x4

Post by G315t » Fri, 13. Aug 21, 13:47

DocAce wrote:
Fri, 13. Aug 21, 13:46
G315t wrote:
I now tested the "free camera mode" see above.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 13. Aug 21, 21:57

DocAce wrote:
Fri, 13. Aug 21, 13:46
G315t wrote:
I have been testing beta 6 without removing the line - Very comfortable with the improvements to the experimental camera, its a lot more intuitive than previous in beta 5.

Just one more question regarding that line - On completion of the beta I guess we should remove the line?
So really we ought to now be testing what will become the improved classic as default.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Sat, 14. Aug 21, 06:26

Yeah, it's very nice now! I've still got the free camera line in, and being able to zoom with keyboard or mouse wheel has helped plenty. Rotating-on-right-click bug is good and dead.

My only problem with it now is that rotations seem to go backwards sometimes. I've got the part out in space, attached to nothing. It appears to be rotating around the center but, when I push up, the point I clicked goes down! It's easy to compensate, but I really shouldn't have to.

Green lines get left after placement pretty often. They don't hurt anything, but they don't look good.

Default of 60 degree jumps with the shift key is pretty high.

All in all, I was able to make a good sized station out of 74 modules without too much trouble.
timid." ---- Q

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sat, 14. Aug 21, 12:40

Zloth2 wrote:
Sat, 14. Aug 21, 06:26
Default of 60 degree jumps with the shift key is pretty high.
There is a options button where you can define the angle snap amount.

MFG

Ketraar

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Sat, 14. Aug 21, 16:18

Yes, I know, I used it. Before you use it, though, the default is 60 degrees. That seems really high to me.
timid." ---- Q

G315t
x4

Post by G315t » Sat, 14. Aug 21, 19:32

Zloth2 wrote:
Sat, 14. Aug 21, 16:18
Yes, I know, I used it. Before you use it, though, the default is 60 degrees. That seems really high to me.
Yes 45° would make more sense for a start rotational value. And it also will help to align modules if you can rotate by 1/8 rotation steps. Usualy what you want most of the time basicaly is 1/4 rotation (90°)

Also for the Camera mode, I expect to have a Toggle for the Used Camera mode in the Game options menu after the 4.1 release and not change code in the INI file myself. But that probaply is planned anyway.

I hope we will get a rotation around the used connector when a module is placed because especialy with modules that have not a centered connector ( many production modules have no center connector) it can get a bit messy to use them.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”