[4.0 beta 9] Miners not mining the most needed resource - Improved in b10.

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Thurak
x4

[4.0 beta 9] Miners not mining the most needed resource - Improved in b10.

Post by Thurak » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 22:20

Egosoft: please ignore for a moment.

Forum: I am asking for your help to hopefully support a save Egosoft may use (or dismiss my case)

Screenshot form a modded game (sorry... but please bear with me for a second). The problem is Methane:

https://imgur.com/E7BnGEt

I threw two more L Gas miners in there an hour ago or so and by now all four, including the new L miners, have mined Helium and Hydrogen, but not Methane. There is just one (of four M miners) with Methane in the cargo hold and even that one is selling 227 hydrogen right now while keeping 1356 Methane in the cargo hold. The orders of all 8 miners seem to look okay, all three have all three gases listed.

I have in the past occasionally thrown away a load or two of the wrong gas/mineral and removed an order to fix idiotic station managers. That had worked in the past (3.3 and before) so the miner correctly decided to go after the most needed gas/mineral then. Not this time. I throw away a load and remove any mining order and the station manager (level 5) then decides to go... Helium mining again!

https://imgur.com/2btDLPc

18 Billions has some resource probes with Methane (though numbers seem low and don't seem to add up to the sector total o 6+ Million Methane there)

Forum: Could anyone with a vanilla beta game check if their complex miners work better? And if they have a similar problem provide a save? I don't know exactly what happened here, this complex seemed to run fine for a while.

P.S.: On a completely unrelated note: Yes, this is the station that made me realize how bad workforce growth in unpopulated sectors is especially compared to Argon Prime next door/gate. Looking forward to the change in the next beta mentioned in another thread here.

DeadAirRT
x4

Re: [4.0 beta 9] Miners not mining the most needed resource.

Post by DeadAirRT » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 04:21

So I'm not completely familiar with the code for mining routine when assigned as a station miner but here are my thoughts:

Pilot skill affects a variable called effectiveskill in mining routine order. This variable is later used to determine if the miner checks demand for a ware prior to mining. What I think is likely happening (assuming that you have budget, buy order, restrictions correct) is that despite there being a shuffle, the miners are not checking demand and going after the resource that is views as most available in the area and the station wants.

This is just my thoughts from skimming the information posted and apologize if it is off track.

Thurak
x4

Post by Thurak » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 11:36

But if that is happening... it's wrong. The station manager has level 5, there is definitely Methane in range (2 jumps away). If it is pilot and crew skill level... then that would be the weird. It kind of should be the decision of the manager what to mine.

But I will try to waste some seminars on the mining ships pilots and see if that changes anything.

Tidaar
x4

Post by Tidaar » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 11:58

I can confirm behavior of most miners going after most abundant resources. I did notice though that if you use a probe that provides a good quantity of the scarce gas or mineral they will start going after it as well. Also adding more miners will help balance things.
I was hacked by a Xenon T and my ship board started showing this:
01000010 01110010 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01100010 01100001 01100011 01101011 00100000 01100010 01101111 01110010 01101111 01101110 01110011
:D

Myrath
x4

Post by Myrath » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 12:21

Indeed. A lot of probes seem indeed vital, where this was not the case in the past.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 12:48

That is not the intent in 4.00 though - as Bernd says in his penultimate paragraph of the OP in this thread.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Thurak
x4

Post by Thurak » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 14:04

Tidaar wrote:
Wed, 3. Mar 21, 11:58
I can confirm behavior of most miners going after most abundant resources. I did notice though that if you use a probe that provides a good quantity of the scarce gas or mineral they will start going after it as well. Also adding more miners will help balance things.
I do have some probes with decent amounts of Methane in range...

Would you be so kind and upload a vanilla save? I am totally willing to do some testing/digging around that save myself, as long as you say "I had it in this save" I would look into it. And of course that save would need a complex with all three gases for my original usecase.

j.harshaw
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Post by j.harshaw » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 14:40

This should be improved in beta 10.

To be clear, your miners do benefit from probes being placed in areas with abundant resources. However, even a resource probe in an area with few or no resources will inform your miners to look deeper into that sector in general than they normally would.

Thurak
x4

Post by Thurak » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 16:44

Yeah, seems to be working way better now in beta 10. Miners go Methane mining currently for a change (after I dropped some Hydrogen/Helium and orders) and continue to do so after dropping their first load of Methane.

Thanks!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”