[beta 7.2] heavy impact of smoke/fire damage effects on performance

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

darklead
x4

Re: [beta 7.2] heavy impact of smoke/fire damage effects on performance

Post by darklead » Thu, 18. Apr 24, 11:27

I thought that maybe some settings were affecting this and lowered the graphics to the minimum values. I recorded the most complete video from the moment of the explosion until the smoke disappeared:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hbIQJv ... sp=sharing
The Earth is the cradle of humanity, but mankind cannot stay in the cradle forever.
-Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Fri, 19. Apr 24, 12:15

darklead wrote:
Thu, 18. Apr 24, 11:27
I thought that maybe some settings were affecting this and lowered the graphics to the minimum values. I recorded the most complete video from the moment of the explosion until the smoke disappeared:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hbIQJv ... sp=sharing
This is a problem on your side. Something with your hardware or software (drivers?) must be broken. The smoke effect is obviously nothing fancy and you are the first I know who has this problem. In my tests nothing similar was happening. Maybe try reinstalling the GPU driver (full reinstall with deinstallation before). Might be some nvidia global setting or so. But to be fair, this is a very strange behaviour (because it happens in such a rare specific case) and I have no clue.
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Fri, 19. Apr 24, 12:47

Personally i'm quite surprised how my game has been running so far with the smoke and fire. It's pretty good.

What I would like to see is for the huge ships to explode like a nuke; a huge flash and then the giant ship to break apart, say in half, signifying huge amounts of power being released catastrophically.
1. Please do more on NPC civilian/uniform variety, and bio customisations, Devs.
2. Stations need sirens when enemy is close in numbers.
Yes, for immersion. Thankyou ahead of time.

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Fri, 19. Apr 24, 12:48

I have to agree with Max Bain as I'm just not seeing this in my game at all. In a situation like this, I'd be verifying game files first, then ensuring my OS was good (SCF, DISM etc. in Windows) as well as ensuring all drivers were up to date.

I'd also be monitoring CPU and GPU load, as well as drive activity and the like to see if any part of the system is being pushed.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Fri, 19. Apr 24, 12:54

You could also try to reinstall X4 completely.
I would:

- Reinstall GPU drivers with uninstall first!!! (I guess this is an option during driver upgrade process)
- Update Windows
- verify X4 files

if that does not help

- reinstall X4 completely (I had games where a verification over steam did not helped and only a deinstallation and full reinstallation fixed the issues)
- update AMD chipset drivers (your CPU is new, so this makes sense also)

Let us know if something here helped you out. Good luck!
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Fri, 19. Apr 24, 13:54

maybe a bios update, 7800x3d should make the game literally fly, its probably the best cpu for x4 currently, im on 5800x3d and have 0 issues, 7.0 makes the game run even better

mobos had lots of problems at first with those new x3d cpus and constantly gave new updated bios for it
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

darklead
x4

Post by darklead » Sat, 20. Apr 24, 02:35

I did a complete removal and installation of the GPU drivers, and installed 552.22 (the latest). I deleted and reinstalled the game, completely deleted the game folder in my documents. Now the drop is not to 18 frames but to 28. I noticed that when approaching the smoke, the rendering delay increases from 10 milliseconds to ~100 -110. GPU load becomes 99-100% instead of ~60-70 during normal play.
I will test further. Video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jfeVU1 ... sp=sharing
The Earth is the cradle of humanity, but mankind cannot stay in the cradle forever.
-Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sun, 21. Apr 24, 18:58

Did you use a proper GPU driver removal tool such as Display Driver Uninstaller? If you didn't, an uninstall / reinstall can potentially retain broken files. I.e. Uninstall / Reinstall changes nothing.

Additionally, when installing the GPU drivers, I'd use NV Clean Install to do it. This removes a lot of the telemetry / spying components of the drivers, and makes them run much more lean. I.e. Less CPU.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”