[1386][4.10 Beta 6] Formation change = All docked subordinate ships launch then try to re-dock - Fixed after 5.10

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Scoob
x4

[1386][4.10 Beta 6] Formation change = All docked subordinate ships launch then try to re-dock - Fixed after 5.10

Post by Scoob » Fri, 13. Aug 21, 00:41

Hi,

I'm hoping others can confirm what I'm seeing here...

I have a Nomad Support ship with several Wings all set to "Defend" and "Docked". The Wings are all made up of a single lead ship, with subordinates set to attack. So, in essence:

Nomad (Group Leader)
> Alpha Group - Heavy Fighter - Defend + Docked
-> Alpha Group - Several Heavy Fighters - Attack
>Beta Group - Corvette - Defend + Docked
-> Alpha Group - Several Corvettes - Attack

The Nomad has a Fly To order to another sector, I'm riding along standing on the bridge. The Nomad's Alpha and Beta Groups (and their own subordinates) are both DOCKED as per their orders, my understanding is that docked means docked, so don't launch under any conditions. I decide to assign a new formation, going from "V Shape" to "Semicircle". The moment I do so, both Alpha and Beta Groups all launch, then immediately try to re-dock, which causes chaos.

Note: I actually have more groups than just Alpha and Beta - over 20 ships in all - but just trying to keep things simple to explain the point.

Can others confirm this behaviour? The Nomad is the only ship I have able to carry multiple other ships currently. So, maybe it's just a Nomad issue, but I suspect it affects all ships that can carry multiple docked S and M-Class ships.

To re-create this, follow the template above. So, have a ship such as a Support ship or Carrier, then:

Assign Multiple groups of ships to it in the "Defend" role with the "Docked" status
Assign subordinates to these ships in turn in the "Attack" role.
Allow all ships to dock.
Issue a fly to order (might not be necessary, but it's what I did)
Issue a change of Formation to the Carrier / Support class ship and see if the various groups auto-launch.

In this scenario, I was simply moving this Fleet to a new location and wanted to ensure that, when I did change those "Docked" groups to "Launched" they'd be in the desired formation. Is there some technical reason "Docked" ships need to launch then instantly re-dock to do this?

Cheers,

Scoob.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [1386][4.10 Beta 6] Formation change = All docked subordinate ships launch then try to re-dock

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 15:35

Please can you add a save that allows a repro of the issue, thank you.

MFG

Ketraar

Scoob
x4

Re: [1386][4.10 Beta 6] Formation change = All docked subordinate ships launch then try to re-dock

Post by Scoob » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 19:08

I will attempt to set up a new custom game start to re-create this in Beta 7 and add that save here.

Scoob.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 2. Sep 21, 19:45

Hi again,

Please check out this vanilla saved-game. Note: it will likely be marked "Modified" as it's a budget-free custom start. Aka the "Custom Game Editor (Creative)" option.

Upon loading, in front of you will be a Nomad with two Wings, Alpha and Beta, both set to "Defend" and "Docked". Each Wing is made up of a leader and several subordinates set to "Attack". To recreate exactly what I just did, do the following:

1) Give the Nomad a move order somewhere - might not be necessary, but it's what I did previously.
2) Observe that all ships remain docked - the automatic "Recall Subordinates" (which can cause issues) is not triggered.
3) Once, it's started to move, select the Nomad then select Information > Individual Instructions and set a different formation *
4) Observe as the subordinates all start to undock, fly away from the Nomad before attempting to dock once more.

* Important Note: The formation will likely NOT change, this is a separate bug. Often it takes several attempts before the formation sticks, or it may simply refuse to change. This separate bug does not appear to impact this demonstration. When this occurs seems totally random, I was totally unable to change the formation during this test, yet all ships did undock when I tried - perhaps just the UI/menu not updating?

This save and the above instructions recreate the issue 100% for me. I just went through it again to test.

Additionally, here is the custom start I set up to test this. Of note, but not directly related to this bug, after setting all fighters as subordinates as per the save, I set them to "Docked" status. This caused them all to dock one-by-one, except for TWO ships, that were stuck - not even saying they're trying to dock - until I left the sector. THis might be relevant if you attempt to re-create this from my custom game start.

Scoob.

j.harshaw
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Post by j.harshaw » Tue, 10. May 22, 12:59

Fixed. Thanks for the report and the save. Should be in a future update.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”