4.20b3 Gas Miners Mining Empty Space for Nonexistent Helium

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

LameFox
x4

4.20b3 Gas Miners Mining Empty Space for Nonexistent Helium

Post by LameFox » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 16:55

The two L gas miners assigned to a microlattice factory in The Void are sitting in Antigone Memorial, mining what seems to be empty space despite probes nearby indicating Helium. I have observed them at it for some time and not seen any Helium materializing out of the vacuum and I have other ships in Segaris that are actively mining it there. They have gas drones, though it says none are active, probably because there's no gas.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RX7Wcj ... sp=sharing

Have I set something up wrong here? I don't know what they think they're achieving.
***modified***

LameFox
x4

Re: 4.20b3 Gas Miners Mining Empty Space for Nonexistent Helium

Post by LameFox » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 17:35

Half an hour later, I just saw one of them deliver some actual helium to the station so it must have mined something—but the other is still loitering in open space performing mining orders on nothing. What's weirder is that the one which successfully mined just finished unloading as I write this, and has an order to go back to the same spot... so I guess it's not fixed, just sometimes does something.
***modified***

Eyeklops
x4

Post by Eyeklops » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 18:16

I don't think L gas miners deploy drones in low attention. That said, I've never hung out with one in high attention to see if they do it then either. Regardless, mine never seem to have drones deployed yet still mine tons of gas. I'm curious, what is the captain and crew skill level on the ship that is taking a long time to mine?

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 18:37

They are both new, 1 star ships, but this behaviour hasn't happened with others of that skill level. Normally I can put on SETA and watch what they are mining slowly appear in their cargo, but in this case nothing was happening. The place they're issuing orders to mine is also physically between resource fields.

Nonetheless, I keep seeing them deliver Helium, then go back and sit in the same spot not accumulating any more. Something must be happening that periodically moves them into an actual resource field, I'm going to just sit here staring at them until I see it happen.
***modified***

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 18:48

Ok, it seems like what's happening is that they sit there, and sit there, and sit there, not mining anything—and then in one instant they suddenly start filling up. These are Cranes so not small ships, I think they must be spawn camping resources or something? Just sitting there waiting for it to refill.

I don't know why that works between fields, though, as I've been told before the resource fields on the map are used OOS, which these are. Also, the nearby probe claims there is already Helium there to mine. I thought those updated with the resources but maybe not? Sector info says 145k Helium. I am not sure if this is a bug or just unusual behaviour. It's not something my other Helium miners in Segaris do. I have a Hokkaido assigned to a station there which is gradually but constantly filling up.
***modified***

SirBerrial
x4

Post by SirBerrial » Fri, 3. Dec 21, 00:36

I've encountered the same issue, but with methane and helium both in the Frontier's Edge.
L gas miners, nearly a hundreed of those, are chilling around an empty spot in FE, while HQ needs both Helium and Methane for production and terraforming.

Can post save tomorrow, if it is needed.

Razorwind
x3tc

Post by Razorwind » Fri, 3. Dec 21, 19:54

I had the same issue with gas miners in Pontifex's Claim in b3/b4. Had about 30 gas miners trying mine, but sitting in the same spot outide the gas-field resulting in 0 gas. Only solution was to blacklist the sector so that they would go elsewhere.

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Sat, 4. Dec 21, 00:51

Can confirm a similar thing. For me some silicon miners seem to like gathering at a spot and not mine. Tho the entire sector has resources, Savage spur II.

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Sat, 4. Dec 21, 10:44

Things get stranger. For me it's just one ship type, the magnetar (mineral) sentinel (tho i believe the postfix / sentinel/venguard doesn't matter), that isn't mining and that was bought off the antigone shipyard. Other ship types i collected via bording are mining just fine for the same station, even the same resource.

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Sat, 4. Dec 21, 12:34

Apologies, please disregard my last reports about the magnetar sentinels not mining, i just noticed my loudout template had no mining turrets, sorry about that! :oops:

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”