[4.10 Bug] NPC crew run and hide...

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Elvenwolf
x4

[4.10 Bug] NPC crew run and hide...

Post by Elvenwolf » Sun, 19. Sep 21, 05:41

Hello,

I am sure this has been mentioned before but I couldn't find any post about it for many pages in search. If I missed it please let me know on status.

Bug: NPC leave their current position as soon as player is in range or has landed on station.
Faction: Any
Ship: Any
Station: Any
Hanger size: Any
Map/Location: Any
Repeatable: Yes
Event: When landing/docking on station
Vanilla: Yes *
With MODs: Yes *

:rant: In general the bug is old and still consists today. It is very irritating. When ever I land/dock on a station any NPC that is out and about starts walking/running to nearest exit and disappear. (*) I have tried both in vanilla (no mods) and with mods "more npc" and the behavior is all the same. I tested by waiting for very long time and rarely any NPC will come out. Even on the busiest station it is a ghost town. Even when "more NPC" mod teleports or summons NPC on the station, they still go for nearest exit.

Option 1:
Allow player to Comm/hire crew via Station roster. Station roster was available in 2.0 but it was removed from the game at some point.

Option 2:
Allow players to have access to the Pub/Bar/Employment Office for hiring (not talking about black market but similar location).

Option 3:
Increase NPC activity/presence in Security Station, Engineering Station, Offices (if applicable), Hanger. Implement "social location" at Store or various locations on hanger.

Option 4:
Set station population slot occupation to 10% (default), 25%, 50%, 75% and allow players change setting depending on their computer performance. Let me break it down...
- Default would be 10% of the station npc "standing" slots on the hanger will be filled by NPC. So if there are 30 slots on a small hanger that NPC can stand, 10% will have 3 NPC present on hanger at all time.
- Let's change default to 75% because I know my computer can handle it. 75% of 30 slots would be about 22 NPC present on hanger at all time.
- Trading station/hanger needs increased NPC traffic.. its a freaking space bazaar, there should be tons of NPC roaming.

Current fix/bypass: NONE
"More NPC" kind of works but the mod is outdated and has issues with the game sometimes. So far I have not seen any other solution or options.

If there are other solutions that I am not aware of, please let me know. Thank you!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [4.10 Bug] NPC crew run and hide...

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 19. Sep 21, 13:27

I think there may be related mod effects still at work in your game/saves as the vanilla 4.10 release situation is much improved.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sun, 19. Sep 21, 13:46

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 19. Sep 21, 13:27
I think there may be related mod effects still at work in your game/saves as the vanilla 4.10 release situation is much improved.
Not really.. happens all the time in almost all stations. The ones that do not have this "problematic" behaviour are the Pirate Bases and Hatikvah Free Ports and Trade Station, also the Terran Stations. I suppose this is to "prevent" the player from "poaching" personnel that way and, instead, build habitats in own stations. The problem is that in these player owned stations "everyone avoids the boss"!!! :lol:

BTW I am too sorry to hear that personnel hiring from a roster was in option in V2.0 and then was retracted (I started playing in V2.60). I suppose it was one of the good things from X Rebirth that did not follow on X4...

Elvenwolf
x4

Post by Elvenwolf » Sun, 19. Sep 21, 18:58

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 19. Sep 21, 13:27
I was very exited about the improvement back then. However that is not really the case. Sure there are very few "crew" going back and forth with fire extenguisher. The rest still seems to be same.

I have uninstalled the game, cleared all folders of any mods (accidentally also deleted expansion that way). Tested with fresh start with 0 trace of any mods or game files. Installed new game and still has same behavior as before, in some cases even worse. Especially if you wait 2 min... total ghost town.

I'll try again... for 5th time.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 20. Sep 21, 11:42

It's interesting then that we are seeing such different vanilla behaviours in 4.10. I wonder if how and when you started the gameplay in your save makes a difference? I am seeing several NPCs just standing around NPC stations and not disappearing quickly at all (engineers of course, a few pilots, a few marines, and those unhirable captains not giving missions), but mine is a vanilla game first started back with COH release.

I still get the odd station with no evident NPCs at all, and no traders either, but I see that as different to the previous issue where marines were present but disappeared quickly as soon as you docked.

I have always found stations such as Equipment Docks to be a poor recruiting ground though.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”