[1410][4.1 Beta 5 - B7 HF2] Resource probe gives different information on the map than when selected

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Zloth2
x4

[1410][4.1 Beta 5 - B7 HF2] Resource probe gives different information on the map than when selected

Post by Zloth2 » Thu, 5. Aug 21, 05:27

Save: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_d3h90 ... sp=sharing

There's a probe dead ahead of you in this save. Open the map and select it. Ore & silicon are at just 0.13/km³. Make sure it's targeted, then turn off the map. The selection window in the lower right reports ore & silicon are at 3.5/km³!

There's another resource probe (north of the defense station, just outside of satellite range) that shows 93/km³ when targeted! I'm seeing similarly wild readings in other sectors. Map readings are well below what they were when I laid down the probes in 4.0, selected readings are way above expected.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

peteran
x4

[4.1 B7 HF2] Resource probe shows different information on the map than when selected

Post by peteran » Fri, 10. Sep 21, 20:56

Still the same in [4.1 B7 HF2]

Values shown on map:

Values shown in cockpit:

Also, the information tab on the map doesn't tell you anything. It could display the values there too.

And finally, the scanning range of 3 km has no relation to the displayed circles (meant to show coverage?). The radius is closer to 48 km. I was so pleased when I made a quilt of resource probes, only to start wondering if it's actually correct.
https://i.imgur.com/YAgaoS9.png

(Note: I've verified all this on a clean Young Gun start just in case.)
Last edited by CBJ on Fri, 10. Sep 21, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Oversized image replaced with link

peteran
x4

Re: [4.1 Beta 5] Resource probe gives different information on the map than when selected

Post by peteran » Fri, 10. Sep 21, 21:11

Fresh Young Gun [4.1 B7 HF2] save with lot's of resource probes to test with.

Falcrack
x4

Re: [4.1 Beta 5 - B7 HF2] Resource probe gives different information on the map than when selected

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 14:27

I've noticed this as well. Targeted resource probe info, seen in the lower right panel, is completely different from resource probe info seen in map.

peteran
x4

Re: [4.1 Beta 5 - B7 HF2] Resource probe gives different information on the map than when selected

Post by peteran » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 15:52

The numbers are actually proportional (with the exception of max ice). Just take the map reported value and multiply by 27 and you get the one shown in cockpit (+/- 1.4 % probably due to rounding).

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 16:27

It's interesting that that factor of 27 is itself a cube. It's as if the cockpit and map are using linear dimensions for the sample cube boundary that differ by a factor of 3 when calculating the resource density.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

peteran
x4

Post by peteran » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 17:50

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 11. Sep 21, 16:27
It's interesting that that factor of 27 is itself a cube. It's as if the cockpit and map are using linear dimensions for the sample cube boundary that differ by a factor of 3 when calculating the resource density.
And the factor 3 is equal to the resource probe range according to the encyclopedia and the information tab for a resource probe. We may be on to something here. Just need to think a bit.

Still need to figure out the green circle that has radius ~48 km, but that's a different issue although it has to do with resource probes.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 18:59

Isn't the circle the range within which the player-owned resource probe detects and shows nearby ships on the map? Resource density volumes are cubes and not spheres anyway.

From the changelog: * [Beta 4] Improved resource probe detection range.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

SpaceCadet11864
x4

Post by SpaceCadet11864 » Sat, 11. Sep 21, 19:12

Why not do the calculation once and use the result as the SSOT (Single source of truth?)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”