[4.0 HF3] Miners don't prioritise resources correctly

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

adeine
x4

[4.0 HF3] Miners don't prioritise resources correctly

Post by adeine » Thu, 29. Apr 21, 23:05

Past threads I could find for reference: 1, 2, 3

I'm aware this is a recurring issue, but it seems to have got worse with 4.0. When there is a list of wares to be mined, miners seem to be obsessed with filling up storage for the first(?) ware in the list while actively ignoring actual supply shortages. It's possible to manually change the mining command to the proper resource, but after one run management changes it back to the ware(s) already full to the brim.

In past versions (~3.0) similar issues tended to sort themselves out over time (typically when the ware in question reached saturation, miners would switch to mining the other resources), but this doesn't appear to be working properly any longer, perhaps due to how resource probes change mining priorities(?).

Example save attached here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hqUvfM ... sp=sharing

The Complex Material Fabs in both Jupiter and Silent Witness are unable to function as intended because their miners exclusively mine ore, even though there is access to silicon within range (with resource probes as well). It's possible to kind of work around this by doing the warehouse approach (have a station that only requires one of each resource type and have it ferry the wares over; see what's happening with methane in Silent Witness, where I could set the wharf to supply it to the production complexes because it has the same issue as ore/silicon - compare the unassisted complex in Jupiter) but it's messy and really shouldn't be necessary.

Shepp
x3ap

Re: [4.0 HF3] Miners don't prioritise resources correctly

Post by Shepp » Sat, 1. May 21, 00:52

From what I've seen the game acts a little wonky when you let it auto-manage the storage for resources. It tends to favor mining the one with the highest consumption rate. Try calculating the hourly consumption for each resource used. Then manually set teach for that number. The AI tends to do far better with prioritizing and your station will want less of a budget to operate.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Sat, 1. May 21, 06:18

That's kind of how it used to be, where miners could overly focus on a resource until the overly generous allocation is filled up. They'd then still mine other resources once this happens and the issue would sort itself out.

What's happening here with 4.0+ is that miners will keep obsessively prioritising the same resource even though assigned storage is already filled to 100%.

Shepp
x3ap

Post by Shepp » Sat, 1. May 21, 15:08

I'm not saying that Egosoft couldn't improve the way managers procure resources. For me at least, this a serviceable work around. I tried it with your save game and the stations immediately began mining silicon. The station in Silent Witness was desperately low on ice too. I didn't mess around with it long enough, but my guess is that it would go for ice after filling the silicon. You may need to add a couple more mineral miners to keep up.

antagonist
x4

Post by antagonist » Mon, 3. May 21, 22:12

Let me tell you how broken miners are right now:

I built a station and assigned it a number of gas miners. Those habitually return to the station with their holds partially filled with methane.
Spoiler
Show
Plot twist: my station only needs hydrogen.
Excuse me what the ****.
"Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire."

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”