Ice shortage within 5 jumps of Ocean of Fantasy

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

alt3rn1ty
x4

Ice shortage within 5 jumps of Ocean of Fantasy

Post by alt3rn1ty » Tue, 23. May 23, 19:30

Any tips ?

I am doing Terraforming for Ocean of Fantasy, and need a huge amount of water. But I cant seem to find any ice within 5 jumps from my PHQ there.

Please dont tell me I am going to have to subject miners to crossing Sanctuary of Darkness, my ships would be ok going through it but coming back they would die due to not following the path on the way back which I believe is still a problem in the game (havent seen any notes that its fixed yet anyway). I have avoided putting any satellites or Resource probes anywhere beyond Sanctuary of Darkness so far due to this.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Re: Ice shortage within 5 jumps of Ocean of Fantasy

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 23. May 23, 21:40

I have a large station in Great Reef, built primarily to supply Boron shipyards & wharves, both in Great Reef & Kingdom End. It gets all of it's solid resources from Rolk's Demise. So far have not had any issues with pathing in the current version. It's miners & freighters are all Boron L ships. Every time I've watched them crossing Sanctuary of Darkness they've followed the eastern & northern highways, staying within the safe zone. This is what I typically see: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2pixa1lf1ak6 ... 1.jpg?dl=0

Just to be extra careful I have equipped all ships which need to traverse the sector with the basic 'Grit' hazard protection mod. Incidentally, suspect this may be why one of the ships in that screenshot appears to have taken damage - it's got full hp (27,099/27,099), however it's hull integrity is permanently displayed as 99%. Think it's probably just a rounding error since the downside of Grit is reduced hull. Anyway, they've been making that journey for a couple of weeks now & have yet to see any of them with less than 100% shields. Certainly have not lost any of them yet. Consequently reckon you'll be fine to mine ice in Rolk's Demise for terraforming.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 23. May 23, 21:52

alt3rn1ty wrote:
Tue, 23. May 23, 19:30
Any tips ?

I am doing Terraforming for Ocean of Fantasy, and need a huge amount of water. But I cant seem to find any ice within 5 jumps from my PHQ there.

Please dont tell me I am going to have to subject miners to crossing Sanctuary of Darkness, my ships would be ok going through it but coming back they would die due to not following the path on the way back which I believe is still a problem in the game (havent seen any notes that its fixed yet anyway). I have avoided putting any satellites or Resource probes anywhere beyond Sanctuary of Darkness so far due to this.
SoD pathfinding had been fixed for a while now. I have not seen ships (mine or NPC) die moving through that zone.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Tue, 23. May 23, 23:14

Good tips, thank you guys I think I have enough to get ahead with now.
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

Seeker of Sohnen.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Wed, 24. May 23, 00:44

I built 8 Rorquals, and put them on Repeat Orders ..
Mine Rolks demise for Ice
Sell Ice to PHQ
.. Seems to be going good, they are all thankfully following the safe path through Dark Sanctuary (well, roughly, but not taking damage anyway)
https://i.imgur.com/bfEhhuT.png

Now for the waiting, I better go do something less boring :D
.. Or add a thousand Rorquals on repeat orders, hmm.
Last edited by alt3rn1ty on Wed, 24. May 23, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.

Seeker of Sohnen.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Wed, 24. May 23, 14:02

One day later, already half way through providing all needed resources for the planet. I haven't used SETA, just kept the game running 24 hours.

For anyone who hasn't used Repeat Orders before, use the Repeat Orders behaviour first (and click the Confirm button), then just add the orders needed in the sequence you want. Adjust the details of the orders by expanding the +, in my case for the sell order I had to adjust the "Sell all but" (amount to keep) to zero ..
https://i.imgur.com/M4H6QUO.png

Seeker of Sohnen.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Thu, 25. May 23, 00:15

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Tue, 23. May 23, 21:40
I have a large station in Great Reef, built primarily to supply Boron shipyards & wharves, both in Great Reef & Kingdom End. It gets all of it's solid resources from Rolk's Demise. So far have not had any issues with pathing in the current version. It's miners & freighters are all Boron L ships. Every time I've watched them crossing Sanctuary of Darkness they've followed the eastern & northern highways, staying within the safe zone. This is what I typically see: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2pixa1lf1ak6 ... 1.jpg?dl=0

Just to be extra careful I have equipped all ships which need to traverse the sector with the basic 'Grit' hazard protection mod. Incidentally, suspect this may be why one of the ships in that screenshot appears to have taken damage - it's got full hp (27,099/27,099), however it's hull integrity is permanently displayed as 99%. Think it's probably just a rounding error since the downside of Grit is reduced hull. Anyway, they've been making that journey for a couple of weeks now & have yet to see any of them with less than 100% shields. Certainly have not lost any of them yet. Consequently reckon you'll be fine to mine ice in Rolk's Demise for terraforming.
FYI I didn't use any mods, all of the Rorquals for this have succesfully been following the expected path and not incurred any damage at all without in-game modifications.

Anyway big thank you for giving me the confidence to send my miners across Sanctuary of Darkness (and the pointer to Rolks Demise for Ice), its working out well.

I knew there was a fix for the pathing, but there seemed to be many reports of people experiencing problems after the fix. IE they would send large ships across (from south east to north west) without issue after the fix because they would follow the path, but then large ships coming back (from north west to south east) instead of following the path would go straight across the centre of the sector and die .. This was the issue I didn't think was yet fixed.

Maybe they were modded with third party mods or something, idk, but it seems you are correct, the issue is completely fixed thankfully :).

I have since been in there with the Erlking to take out the Kha'ak Installations and fighters (especially the ones to the west), because occasionally any S or M ships traversing the western highway would get into battles with the Kha'ak closest to the gap in the highway over there. I must say, the Elrking is awesome, complete success getting rid of the pests.

Seeker of Sohnen.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”