What is the point of destroying the syndicates station?

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

What is the point of destroying the syndicates station?

Post by Tamina » Mon, 8. May 23, 01:25

So I thought that I got two options:
1. Either pay the Syncidcate (easy)
2. Or destroy one of their stations to show them your power (difficult)

In search for a challenge I destroyed one of their stations... sooooo what now? Their was no outro, no god job, the Syndicate is still my enemy, the mission disappeared and now I am expected to pay them..?

Is this like a bug or intentional to do both? I was so sure that they asked me to do either of them, not both.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Uwe Poppel
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: What is the point of destroying the syndicates station?

Post by Uwe Poppel » Mon, 8. May 23, 02:25

Tamina wrote:
Mon, 8. May 23, 01:25

In search for a challenge I destroyed one of their stations... sooooo what now? Their was no outro, no god job, the Syndicate is still my enemy, the mission disappeared and now I am expected to pay them..?

Is this like a bug or intentional to do both? I was so sure that they asked me to do either of them, not both.
Very good question. I have that part of the twin quest right now too, hadn't completed it yet.

I am currently facing the same problem.
If I pay, should I still destroy the station as well.

If I do not pay, my reputation is -25, if I pay, also...

So apparently you have to destroy the station in any case? :?

Casishur
x4

Post by Casishur » Mon, 8. May 23, 03:26

I Destroyed the station first and then pay the credits, then you will have the reputation before the war with the syndicate

(I ended up wiping out the syndicate and taking over the sectors) only the god engine was against to this.
CPU Typ Ryzen 9 3900x
Grafikkarte Radeon RX 6600 XT 8GB
Arbeitsspeicher: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200MHz
Motherboard Name/Typ MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Win 10 64 bit

Betty : Autopilot.... hat.... total Versagt.

Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/Casishur

Uwe Poppel
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by Uwe Poppel » Mon, 8. May 23, 04:54

However, after I decide against the twin, Dagobas tells me to either destroy the station (kill the VIG boss) or pay a lot of credits to VIG.

Is that how I misunderstood it?

Chirashi
x4

Post by Chirashi » Mon, 8. May 23, 09:15

I did it a few days ago and it worked for me, I payed first though but it doesn't matter I think. You have to prove them that you have deep pockets AND that you you are too powerful to make an enemy of

The station you have to destroy is the one given by the according mission (You should get a mission with two submisions, one to kill a leader which is on the said station and one to pay)
Tamina wrote:
Mon, 8. May 23, 01:25

Did you destroy the station specifically designed by the mission or just a random one? I don't think a random one would work. Also if you haven't yet you probably still need to pay, maybe you can reactivate the quest in the mission log? It should point you towards a satellite in Avarice where you can pay :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 8. May 23, 11:32

The payment gets you 'some' VIG rep relief - often such that they will not target your trade ships or stations even though they will still attack your fight ships. You need to destroy the 'designated' station to frighten them and make the payment to get your rep back to what it was before the plot.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Casishur
x4

Post by Casishur » Mon, 8. May 23, 12:13

I think the answer to the Strange Missiones compilation can only be given by the creator of the mission.

Because when you first pay the credits at the satellite, the mission still points to that station.
Maybe the mission order could be adjusted accordingly, because quite a few players fall for it and wonder why the syndicate is hostile after the destruction of the station, even though they paid credits at the satellite.
Some people work through the mission points according to the order, I fell on my face with the Yaki mission (because destroy the Amplifier was in Second Place There after the place nav Beacons).
Here it is also the order that you have to go to the satellite first to pay the credtis and then you have to destroy the station.
CPU Typ Ryzen 9 3900x
Win 10 64 bit

Uwe Poppel
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by Uwe Poppel » Mon, 8. May 23, 13:00

The existing mission description is very misleading! :rant:

According to it, you have to destroy the designated VIG station and pay the credits in addition - and not as an alternative.

Also the sequence is still unclear. Because the mission refers first to the satellite, at which one is to pay.

I will go back to an older game and leave the mission. :sceptic:

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 8. May 23, 14:24

Honestly, I am more confused now by all the answers here :D

So I destroyed the station and paid the money afterwards: The Syndicate is friendly again. Mission done.

I just thought that it is an "either or" option. Either pay OR destroy. And as far as I can see, some people here had the same confusion but then again some wrote that the order is confusing and not that the fact that both have to be done. I honestly don't know what happens when you pay first and then destroy the station :D
Anyway, if that is how it is supposed to be and I just blindly overread the mission objective to do both, then everything is okay. :D
Uwe Poppel wrote:
Mon, 8. May 23, 13:00
The existing mission description is very misleading! :rant:

According to it, you have to destroy the designated VIG station and pay the credits in addition - and not as an alternative.
Yes? That is how it is apparently supposed to be :? :D

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Casishur
x4

Post by Casishur » Mon, 8. May 23, 15:14

Tamina wrote:
Mon, 8. May 23, 14:24
I honestly don't know what happens when you pay first and then destroy the station :D
Anyway, if that is how it is supposed to be and I just blindly overread the mission objective to do both, then everything is okay. :D
If you pay the credits first at the satellite, you get your old reputation back, which can fall to the bottomless pit during the destruction of the station, as many defence ships will appear. (There are ways to destroy the station without further loss of reputation) E.g. L or XL ships with broken engines right next to sell to a fraktion, which are again hostile to the Syndicate.
CPU Typ Ryzen 9 3900x
Win 10 64 bit

NightmareNight91
x4

Post by NightmareNight91 » Thu, 25. May 23, 22:31

I've never sided against the twins in a proper playthough. There's no reward in siding against them and God knows I'm not going to distribute that protectyon. If you join the twins you get 2 sectors, 3 defence platforms and a heap of free ships and can buy a astrid. If you side against them you get 2 astrids i guess? Don't know why you would want more than 1 but to each his own.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 25. May 23, 23:19

" I've never sided against the twins in a proper playthough. There's no reward in siding against them .." Apart from the sense that you're doing the right thing, you mean? :D

" If you pay the credits first at the satellite, you get your old reputation back .." Not in my experience, you just go from -30 to -20 in my experience after paying up after deciding to ditch the twins. That's enough to stop the VIG attacking your trade ships, although they will attack your fight ships. You then have to destroy the station to get your original rep level with VIG back

Foefaller

Post by Foefaller » Fri, 26. May 23, 00:31

NightmareNight91 wrote:
Thu, 25. May 23, 22:31
I've never sided against the twins in a proper playthough. There's no reward in siding against them and God knows I'm not going to distribute that protectyon. If you join the twins you get 2 sectors, 3 defence platforms and a heap of free ships and can buy a astrid. If you side against them you get 2 astrids i guess? Don't know why you would want more than 1 but to each his own.
Going against the Twins is the smart choice if you plan on building stations in Avarice, or want to make a steady source of income with an auto-trading condensate ship selling the protectyon you bring back from Leap of Faith. A single condensate storage module will hold enough Protectyon for probably both for at least a few dozen hours of playtime before needing to refill it.

Siding with the Twins is for those who have no plans for Avarice beyond filling up Tidebreak with Protectyon once you get your Astrid (if even that) or are more interested in the advantages of controlling 2/3rds of Windfall while still having most of VIG still there to make money off of.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 28. May 23, 21:48

Uwe Poppel wrote:
Mon, 8. May 23, 04:54
However, after I decide against the twin, Dagobas tells me to either destroy the station (kill the VIG boss) or pay a lot of credits to VIG.

Is that how I misunderstood it?
I don't think the quest is worded very well, it's both, not either or. I paid the credit and still have to blow up their station.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 30. May 23, 22:45

IIRC ... I was at +20 VIG when I met the Twins. On decision the rep did drop like 30 points, to -10 or something.

I did spend some time to capture one Astrid. At some intervals the VIG rep did drop 5 points. More than once. I got a feeling that there was a timer that triggered that.

Then I did pay. No more rep drops after that. (I was not at -30 yet.) In fact no VIG rep changes.

On destruction of the station the reputation was restored to the original value (+20).

I did get the impression from the mission briefing that it was "pay AND kill -- capture is optional".
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

xrogaan
x4

Post by xrogaan » Wed, 31. May 23, 05:41

The way it all went on for me was that once I sided against the twins, I paid the syndicates and they then turned hostile. Or it both happened at the same time, maybe. Then I destroyed one of their stations, and they understood the message, which turned them back to friendly. Both payment and destruction must be done, but you won't go back to a reputation pre-twins. I probably lost 10 or 15 points of rep in the process.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 31. May 23, 10:41

".. you won't go back to a reputation pre-twins. I probably lost 10 or 15 points of rep in the process."

You *should* go back to what it was before, but there are potential immediate losses after destroying the station as, while the rep is returned then, there can still be bands of red and hostile VIG fighters or Barbarossa capitals around that may attack your station-killing fleet ships and so lose you rep again when killed. Regardless of faction rep level, ships can still hold individual hostility against particular ships that are considered to have caused them harm in the past - and they take their subordinates with them to the continuing conflict.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”