TEM or BUC for mod parts?

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

LameFox
x4

TEM or BUC for mod parts?

Post by LameFox » Tue, 18. Apr 23, 16:48

Now that Duke's is a source of ship mod parts, I'm curious which version of them is a better way to get those. As BUC their ships (seem to?) spawn out of thin air, probably because nobody has the blueprints to make them with the combination of equipment they use. This makes them something of a renewable resource, although there don't seem to be a lot of them around at once.

On the other hand, assuming TEM modifies their ships as heavily as BUC do, then if they are supplied by neutral factions they might have more ships for me to harvest. I am not sure how effective that supply would be, however, and because creating TEM would unlock their reputation they would not be able to trade with me if I kept blowing up their ships.

Depending how consistently they attack HOP and PAR, though, maybe I could just scavenge for parts and supply them myself.

Has anyone tried to figure out an optimal way to use these guys?
***modified***

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: TEM or BUC for mod parts?

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 18. Apr 23, 17:01

TEM, but not for the reasons you think.

One of the Paranid factions, either HOP or PAR, operate an "elite" fleet. Multiple ships in this fleet have Exceptional Chassis mods. Every time this fleet is destroyed, it explodes with dozens of Exceptional Chassis mod parts. Creating TEM encourages hostilities between these factions, resulting in their fleets getting milled over more frequently, allowing your repeat order collection ships to potentially harvest hundreds of this specific mod part. Tested as of 5.10, not sure if it still exists in 6.00.

Otherwise if you plan to farm the armoured transports for mod parts, keep them BUC since that way they are kept rep locked. These ships also always spawn in, so will not respawn faster if you turn them into TEM. As far as I understand, most of TEM's ships are just normal ships (no mod parts).

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 18. Apr 23, 17:08

I think BUC. I regularly attack them for chassis mods. Im going to try setting up a gank squad of peregrines on repeat orders attack targets in range all over pious mists, with some fast ships on collect wares. Will report back whether it works.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Tue, 18. Apr 23, 17:09

Hm... I'll have to go scan some for a closer look I think. I've had a hunter killer fleet (a handful of katanas) going out and harvesting them for parts and it seems like it's getting some decent looking ones off their random patrol ships, but I haven't looked too closely, maybe they were just things that can drop off anything.
***modified***

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Tue, 18. Apr 23, 17:21

Wow... I think they just spawned ships out of thin air to attack an adv sat I placed. Gonna have to put some more down and see if that works lol, maybe it just got their attention.

And I scanned one of them, a pulsar with an exceptional 'shroud' mod. So I do think their basic ships are worth massacring, at least as BUC.

edit: I put down a regular satellite and another ship showed up lol. So far 2/2 of the first ones I killed had exceptional mods.

edit2: okay, I don't think the satellites actually spawn them, but they do make great bait. Loading up the lead of my HK fleet with basic satellites...
***modified***

blackphoenixx

Post by blackphoenixx » Wed, 19. Apr 23, 09:31

I generally just put down a carrier full of interceptors in the middle of Pious MIsts IV and give it fire override orders to attack BUC on sight (and a loot collector of course).
That gets me enough Exceptional Ship Nanoweaves to mod any ship i care to with them.

BitByte
x4

Post by BitByte » Fri, 21. Apr 23, 19:10

What I have been observing so far BUC Prometheus have full mod pack (chasis, engine, weapons & shields). Minotaurs and other M-size fighters none. S-size fighters have chasis mod (mostly the one whch reduces radar detection range).
S-size fighters always exist in my game in Pious Mists 4 & 11 and Trinity Sanctum 7. Less in Hewa's Twin and Morning Star 4.

NilusBavarius
x3

Post by NilusBavarius » Wed, 26. Apr 23, 09:55

LameFox wrote:
Tue, 18. Apr 23, 16:48
...I'm curious which version of them is a better way to get those. As BUC their ships (seem to?) spawn out of thin air, ... although there don't seem to be a lot of them around at once.
Has anyone tried to figure out an optimal way to use these guys?
Greetings,

For farming go for plain simple BUC... and there are a lot of them... single ones, wings with M ships... every ship has a Tier 3 Hull Modification and M ships usually have also T1-T3 Weapon Mods... Best hunting grounds are the systems with the "Lost Property Office" Stations (Morning Star IV is my personal fav.)

My Optimal System:

Get a well armed S (or a nimble M) Ship with at least one Ion PewPew (eats shield, tickles hull) and go "hunting" ... try to "convince" the pilot to leave the ship, claim it yourself to avoid damage to SubSystems, place a random dude as pilot and collect them on the nearest Wharf (where you have the workbench to dismantle the Modifications)... rinse-repeat.

Advanced Tech: get an Aux/Supply ship and place it inside the hunting ground System... repair it there so you can sell it after dismantling of the mods for higher price (if you don't want to keep the shiny ships)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”