Avarice quest imbalanced?

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Damian Swift
x4

Avarice quest imbalanced?

Post by Damian Swift » Mon, 18. Jul 22, 00:29

Just finished the Avarice quest and feel that the choice is extremely imbalanced?

1, If you side with the twins (seems an evil choice to me) i read you get millions of credits, the Astrid and some other goodies..

2, I chose to go against them, so now have VIG patrol ships all over the galaxy killing off my miners and traders, so i have to get a few Destroyers together and assault/destroy a station.
Once that is done i then have to PAY 15 mill to stop the VIG from slaughtering my trade ships.

So, what do i get for going against the twins? seems it's all deficit and no positives (apart from the shed load of loot i got from all the VIG ships).
or am i missing something?

LameFox
x4

Re: Avarice quest imbalanced?

Post by LameFox » Mon, 18. Jul 22, 04:09

Going against them you get their ship for free. I heard you can also find the other and make it bail conventionally if you want two but haven't tried. They would make you buy a copy, I forget the price but it's pretty expensive, eating into the funds you get.

On a personal level I also see the VIG hostilities as a chance to take some territory from them before repairing the rep thru the story. Normally repairing rep that bad takes a lot of really annoying stuff like luring enemies in range of their stations and killing them (must be hard with VIG?) and I don't even bother to do it. On the whole it will cost more credits but depending on where you are in the game at that point, credits in their millions can be a pitifully small matter.

Unclear on whether it makes a difference to the price of condensate. You would think taking them out reduces its availability outside of what you personally gather but I've not looked closely at the real game mechanics behind its distribution, since it certainly cheats rather than having them fly through an anomaly, pick it up, and then sell it.
***modified***

Kwoung
x4

Post by Kwoung » Mon, 18. Jul 22, 05:09

Damian Swift wrote:
Mon, 18. Jul 22, 00:29
Just finished the Avarice quest and feel that the choice is extremely imbalanced?

1, If you side with the twins (seems an evil choice to me) i read you get millions of credits, the Astrid and some other goodies..

2, I chose to go against them, so now have VIG patrol ships all over the galaxy killing off my miners and traders, so i have to get a few Destroyers together and assault/destroy a station.
Once that is done i then have to PAY 15 mill to stop the VIG from slaughtering my trade ships.

So, what do i get for going against the twins? seems it's all deficit and no positives (apart from the shed load of loot i got from all the VIG ships).
or am i missing something?
I took the advice given in my thread and ended up with the Astrid, took the twins business and ended up with +20 faction with the VIG. Seems like going against the twins was the best way to go.
viewtopic.php?f=182&t=448632

Damian Swift
x4

Post by Damian Swift » Mon, 18. Jul 22, 10:20

Well, my rep went to -12 so at.least my ships are safe and as for the Astrid... Never bailed so had to destroy it!

Guess I'll have a lookout for the other one.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Mon, 18. Jul 22, 11:47

Damian Swift wrote:
Mon, 18. Jul 22, 10:20
Well, my rep went to -12 so at.least my ships are safe and as for the Astrid... Never bailed so had to destroy it!

It should be a guaranteed bail when its health gets low enough but sadly its hull is so out of proportion to its shields that you can easily kill the last part of it too fast for that to trigger. I just reloaded that fight the first time because I wasn't expecting the ship to simply burst like that.

The second one will be harder because it lacks that mechanism but I think any S and M ship, if you pester it long enough, will eventually bail. The ship is more of a novelty to me than a functional craft because it handles like a brick someone has fired out of a cannon onto a frozen lake. I thought at first it was just that I flew too fast, but even if I moderate its speed, it still has nearly no braking force besides manually turning around and thrusting the other way.
***modified***

Caedes91
x4

Post by Caedes91 » Mon, 18. Jul 22, 16:16

Also use the plot opportunity to wipe all their ships for good. Before that block all fabrication bays of the wharf and shipyard so no new ships can be built. Then wipe them out. Without a single ship left, they cannot supply food rations to themselves and the majority of the station workforces will starve to death. How you like the taste of your own medicine ehh :twisted:?

Also increases map performance by not having thousands of fighters around anymore :)

Then repair rep by paying them out and killing their leader. Afterwards farm it with fast scouts to +20 so food rations are not illegal in Avarice and windfall anymore. Profit from their hunger, like they did with the Riptide rakers. And use them as veteran cannonfodder for your boarding ops.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 18. Jul 22, 20:00

Damian Swift wrote:
Mon, 18. Jul 22, 00:29

Don't they show dissatisfaction towards their current business partner? Perhaps you end up doing about the same as in the other side ...
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Mon, 18. Jul 22, 20:06

LameFox wrote:
Mon, 18. Jul 22, 11:47
Damian Swift wrote:
Mon, 18. Jul 22, 10:20

It should be a guaranteed bail when its health gets low enough but sadly its hull is so out of proportion to its shields that you can easily kill the last part of it too fast for that to trigger. I just reloaded that fight the first time because I wasn't expecting the ship to simply burst like that.

The second one will be harder because it lacks that mechanism but I think any S and M ship, if you pester it long enough, will eventually bail. The ship is more of a novelty to me than a functional craft because it handles like a brick someone has fired out of a cannon onto a frozen lake. I thought at first it was just that I flew too fast, but even if I moderate its speed, it still has nearly no braking force besides manually turning around and thrusting the other way.
What I did was preplan by taking a Dragon with Ions and Beams into the special system.
And then after seeing what happened, which is one stays behind while the other zooms off, I reloaded because I also didn't expect it's hull to be paper thin.
Then after loading I capped the one which runs off first, the other stays behind and doesn't do anything at all so I can aggro and cap it at my leisure.
Careful though, after capping both and leaving the system on one of the Astrids, the other was auto-punted out into Windfall. Thought I lost it at first when I couldn't find it in Leap of Faith.

NightmareNight91
x4

Post by NightmareNight91 » Tue, 19. Jul 22, 17:00

Just side with them, it makes no difference in the universe and you get millions of credits, like 2 defence stations, and like 40 fighters and a handful of destroyers.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 20. Jul 22, 03:51

If you like blowing stuff up going against them is the most fun. You can easily rank up hundreds of kills in an Asgard. However care must be taken in Aurora as that has the most responsive fighter swarms so multiple tough XL ships as distractions is to be recommended.

If you have fully repaired the Erlking you can also solo VIG reliably with that ship. Just make sure to disable fight assist and turn 180 so you are flying fast in reverse otherwise the fighter swarms have a tendency to get too intermate with the Elrking's engines.

Once the reputation with them is repaired you have the opportunity to sell them a replacement for every single ship you destroyed. This is a non-trivial number so a huge win economically.
NightmareNight91 wrote:
Tue, 19. Jul 22, 17:00
and a handful of destroyers.
Barbarossa is not a destroyer but more an armoured transport. It loses massively in any 1v1 vs an actual destroyer, even the lowly Phoenix.

NightmareNight91
x4

Post by NightmareNight91 » Wed, 20. Jul 22, 17:50

Imperial Good wrote:
Wed, 20. Jul 22, 03:51
If you like blowing stuff up going against them is the most fun. You can easily rank up hundreds of kills in an Asgard. However care must be taken in Aurora as that has the most responsive fighter swarms so multiple tough XL ships as distractions is to be recommended.

If you have fully repaired the Erlking you can also solo VIG reliably with that ship. Just make sure to disable fight assist and turn 180 so you are flying fast in reverse otherwise the fighter swarms have a tendency to get too intermate with the Elrking's engines.

Once the reputation with them is repaired you have the opportunity to sell them a replacement for every single ship you destroyed. This is a non-trivial number so a huge win economically.
NightmareNight91 wrote:
Tue, 19. Jul 22, 17:00
and a handful of destroyers.
Barbarossa is not a destroyer but more an armoured transport. It loses massively in any 1v1 vs an actual destroyer, even the lowly Phoenix.
Fine, you get 3 or 4 L combat transports that share the same UI icon as a destroyer, that sound better lol?

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Thu, 21. Jul 22, 07:46

Barbarossa are actually pretty easy to capture in my experience since not many factions care about VIG. TEL will report you but MIN will just say 'negative' and ignore the report. They have a few acting as transports and some that are 'raiders' or so (they don't actually raid anything as far as I can tell, merely loiter in Teladi space) which you could collect with little fuss while hostile to them if you go down that route. I've even accumulated a few next to each other one time, crippling each one and flying back and forth bailing the crew and wrecking the engines until I could board them all without too much risk to my marines.
***modified***

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 21. Jul 22, 22:16

What I have noticed though is that if you board one Barbarossa trader and after its capture another such trader passes within radar range, the new arrival's command will likely switch to attacking the boarding and/or captured ships. That is quite unusual behaviour for 'trading' ships but is rarely much of a major threat as the trader version usually has poorly populated and weak turret weapons. It does also give an opportunity for multiple sequential captures in much the same place.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”