The Shinamon Conspiracy

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Joshinya42

The Shinamon Conspiracy

Post by Joshinya42 » Thu, 18. Nov 21, 00:15

I have googled and searched, read through the forums. There is talk of bugs involving the character and plotline issues. That is not what I am curious about. I haven't found discussion of this other issue that is entirely critical to the safety of the Protectorate.

In the TC playthrough with COH, you graduated from cadet school with Shinamon several weeks ago. He sends you off (AWAY from him, shady guy) to check other satellites several times in the opening "repair satellites" mission. There is a Yaki fighter hovering at the edge of the sector at the start. Then you are ambushed, of course. Further down the line, Delilah hints at his upbringing and his interest in the Xenon on your return after he goes missing. After the completion of the Yaki plot, Shinamon joins you as a pilot (and his voice actor changes, immersion breaker!) and all goes on as if you were best friends.

How am I not supposed to believe that he was in on it from the very beginning, a Yaki counter agent? Shinamon was a Yaki spy. In the Terran Cadets. Potentially on a career pointed towards the Terran Secret Service.

The real question becomes:
-Did the Terran Secret Service miss it? OR were they in on it all along and placing a counter-spy appropriately?

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: The Shinamon Conspiracy

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 18. Nov 21, 00:47

Play the other outcomes of the storyline. Shinamon is a loyal Terran to the end.

If you decide to lead the Yaki to Sol he will make a break to try and warn the Terrans. Should he succeed you are set to hostile relationship with the Terrans as they do listen to his warning. The "good" outcome requires you to kill him.

He is also the first person to recommend ratting on the Yaki to the Terrans, so that Intervention can exterminate them all. He was disgusted by the Yaki even thinking of sending Xenon to Sol.

What you find as suspicious behaviour early on is likely due to the Terran Cadet storyline featuring an integrated tutorial. He makes you do stuff alone to give plausible background for you to do the tutorial tasks. For someone with over 1,000 hours in X4 I personally would have preferred if there was an option to let him do most of the work that instead threw some more combat at you or skipped many of the more trivial tasks, not that doing it once is annoying but subsequent playthroughs would be.

builder680
x4

Re: The Shinamon Conspiracy

Post by builder680 » Wed, 29. Dec 21, 09:24

His voice actor changes several times. It's almost comical. It starts off with hardly any accent, then occasionally he gets a deeper voice with a Southern accent, and then at the end of the plot he gets an Australian accent. Something similar happens with representative for the pioneers. When you level your rep with them, his speech is in the voice of someone pretending to be an old man, and then after that's over he goes back to sounding like a normal person.

I remember doing that plot for the first time, and the rude awakening when you get ambushed by a Corvette and you're still flying a tiny little fighter and get one shot LOL.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”