how to train marines? terraforming?

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mediacenter
x4

how to train marines? terraforming?

Post by mediacenter » Mon, 30. Aug 21, 23:57

hello
i usually always fight in this game, meaning no factory, no trading ecc
i like very much boarding ship and be a pirate

thats said, i have boarded tons of ships in my game and i noticed that after all this time i dont have a single 3 star marines :shock:

now, i recently finished for the first time the high mass teleportation project and i read some comments regarding a training facility for crew after finishing some terraforming project
is that true? what project do i have to start?
as i said im no trader or builder, my hq have only storage and docks and i have no other factory scattered around the universe
but for the sake of trainig my crew i can try but i dont know where to look at

besides that, if you know any other practical method to train marines let me know

as usual, sorry for poor english

grapedog
x4

Re: how to train marines? terraforming?

Post by grapedog » Tue, 31. Aug 21, 08:42

I think memory of profit is the easiest terraforming project. On the far right of the terraforming tree, there are options for training personnel. I know you can train pilots, i believe you can train marines.

I just train mine through boarding. Are you sending way more marines than needed? It could be that if you send too many, it is too easy, and not much exp is gained.

SCA destroyers were always good targets for my training, getting into the 3 star range.

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Tue, 31. Aug 21, 08:54

grapedog wrote:
Tue, 31. Aug 21, 08:42
I think memory of profit is the easiest terraforming project. On the far right of the terraforming tree, there are options for training personnel. I know you can train pilots, i believe you can train marines.

I just train mine through boarding. Are you sending way more marines than needed? It could be that if you send too many, it is too easy, and not much exp is gained.

SCA destroyers were always good targets for my training, getting into the 3 star range.
i send lots of marines yes, but usually i dont wait for the target ship to lose crew so its almost always an "even" fight

you have to mantain the hq in the terraforming sector to gain the bonuses?
i mean, if i start another terraforming project in another sector did i lose the possibility to train crew or not?

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 31. Aug 21, 09:56

Can't help with HQ marine training, never done that myself. By the time any of my games have got to the stage where HQ training is viable I've already got a well trained boarding team, so that option simply hasn't been relevant to me.

I use a learn or die approach to marine training. Key thing for this approach is to never board a ship without having a substantial advantage in terms of boarding strength v boarding resistance. If the fight's too even attrition will be taking out the experienced marines at roughly the same rate as they're earning XP.

In order to swing the odds in my favour, before I do any boarding I spend some time doing several of the missions where the reward is an L miner. There's always a few veteran marines aboard such ships with which to form a solid core for my boarding team. By starting out with a boarding team which includes veterans (rather than using only untrained recruits) my marines have a significantly better chance of survival. Consequently, their experience tends to snowball rather than being lost to attrition.

xant
x4

Post by xant » Tue, 31. Aug 21, 16:36

Considering the staggering amount of work and time you need to field a good number of elite soldiers, I found that it just isn't worth it.

So I hire Split for boarding operations, as around 30% of them already come as veterans. That alone improves their combat rating in boarding calculation massively. To replace my losses I also have a freighter at the Split Equipment Dock to hire and transfer more of them whenever needed.

There is only a handful of ships that is too strong for my meat grinder approach, but then again, in those cases you'd most likely also lose a handful of your most elite marines, which usually isn't worth the trouble. So yeah, training marines is too tedious and there's not much you could gain from it.

If someone from Egosoft is reading this: No, that doesn't mean you have to nerf the Split! Just give us viable non-endgame ways to train our staff.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 31. Aug 21, 19:27

and at least from recent experience, it looks like the slightly nerfed the quality of marines you can pick up at your own defense stations. I used to routinely find marines with 2+ stars in boarding... wasn't hard to replace say 10 marines at my own defense platform. But now, at least in my limited looking around when trying to recruit replacements, it's not nearly as common to find boarding at 2+ stars.

mediacenter
x4

Post by mediacenter » Wed, 1. Sep 21, 04:27

after hours of pain and suffering, i managed to complete 2 project in memory of profit

no factory, 10 captured trading ship L

the bubble housing and the thing to train pilots (i pick the freaking wrong training facility ffs, dont ask me how)
its fine i guess, i need pilots too :cry:
tomorrow i will train some of my s hitcrew, i will finally see a 3 star pilot in ages

i see that individual training its kind of cheap, what is its effectiveness?

edit
nevermind its not worth it at all, what a waste of time

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”