Not sure if spoiler but being careful, a mission question

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Trevelvis
xr

Not sure if spoiler but being careful, a mission question

Post by Trevelvis » Wed, 30. Jun 21, 08:55

I have decided to do some other missions as need a better ship for HQ mission, I started doing a mission called snooping around, it is classified as easy, but it tells me to scan Scale Plate Pact data leak, I’ve found an appropriate station but been flying around it with scan mode on for an hour and still can’t find it. This is in my first 3 missions so I think I might be getting something wrong. Please advise

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Not sure if spoiler but being careful, a mission question

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 30. Jun 21, 13:10

Is the mission set to active in your mission manager, and are you getting any yellow guidance? Usually mission guidance directs you to the required station, and maybe to the specific leak too - unless this is a 'special' mission.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Wed, 30. Jun 21, 16:04

Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 30. Jun 21, 13:10
Is the mission set to active in your mission manager, and are you getting any yellow guidance? Usually mission guidance directs you to the required station, and maybe to the specific leak too - unless this is a 'special' mission.
It told me the station but I can’t find data leak anywhere, it even confirmed I was at the right station but no guidance to leak. It’s listed under important missions but it is set as active mission

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 30. Jun 21, 17:53

The best way to find unmarked leaks that I have found is not to get too close to the station but to stand off it and watch out for the periodic blue flashes caused by both data and signal leaks. You will probably need to change your position relative to the station a few times, and remember the up/down direction too. The leak flashes stand out more against a dark sector and station background so turn your scan mode off if it is lightening the station module textures. When you investigate more closely, you can turn scan mode on again.

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Fri, 2. Jul 21, 00:13

Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 30. Jun 21, 17:53
The best way to find unmarked leaks that I have found is not to get too close to the station but to stand off it and watch out for the periodic blue flashes caused by both data and signal leaks. You will probably need to change your position relative to the station a few times, and remember the up/down direction too. The leak flashes stand out more against a dark sector and station background so turn your scan mode off if it is lightening the station module textures. When you investigate more closely, you can turn scan mode on again.
I must be the worst at this, I’ve done what you suggested for 1 - 2 hours and still can’t find it, I try to see if there is anything on my map and there was a station icon with arrows coming out the corners but when I fly to it there is nothing there even at 0m/s , there is another with a yellow man but nothing there again. The person who gave the mission does appear when near certain areas but nothing there either. He does mention something about emp in spacesuit but haven’t come across them either. This is annoying because I’m not a good fighter so wanted to try missions to increase rep.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 2. Jul 21, 13:15

Ah - you are not looking for an existing leak but must make your own on that station/module using the suit bomb launcher and an EMP bomb. You get 4 small dataleaks produced per EMP bomb detonated. Using the EMP bomb in sight of station ships and drones, or near to station surface elements can turn the station hostile, so choose the location and its concealment carefully. Use the centre of a long and wide flat surface for the bomb or you may get some of the produced leaks hidden inside station structures. It is usually worth scanning all 4 leaks for added advantages.

You will have to buy the suit bomb launcher from a station trader and either buy an EMP bomb from a shady trader in a bar or make one from collected components at a crafting bench in a trader's corner.

Now your thread makes a bit more sense. :)

Kritikal
x4

Post by Kritikal » Fri, 2. Jul 21, 17:32

Using the Spacesuit EMP gives you a number of advantages:
Spoiler
Show
If you have the research unlocked for what you are EMPing, you can steal the blueprint (this does not work for maintenance bays / shipyards, balance) usually in the first leak scanned (if not, then the second or third) and not have to buy it from a faction representative. Also, if you scan all 4 data leaks produced from the EMP, you get a permanent trade subscription for that station (no need for satellite in radius).

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Sun, 4. Jul 21, 22:11

Alan Phipps wrote:
Fri, 2. Jul 21, 13:15
Ah - you are not looking for an existing leak but must make your own on that station/module using the suit bomb launcher and an EMP bomb. You get 4 small dataleaks produced per EMP bomb detonated. Using the EMP bomb in sight of station ships and drones, or near to station surface elements can turn the station hostile, so choose the location and its concealment carefully. Use the centre of a long and wide flat surface for the bomb or you may get some of the produced leaks hidden inside station structures. It is usually worth scanning all 4 leaks for added advantages.

You will have to buy the suit bomb launcher from a station trader and either buy an EMP bomb from a shady trader in a bar or make one from collected components at a crafting bench in a trader's corner.

Now your thread makes a bit more sense. :)
I don’t really want to go to shady bar wherever they are but was wondering to craft one the components, are they found randomly or is there a place I can buy them. ??

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 5. Jul 21, 10:45

Well, you can possibly buy the components at the shady bar you don't want to go to ( :D ). Otherwise you can collect the secure containers (common) and remote detonators (more rare) from ship kill loot, and you can get the lodestones from crystal mining or as floating loot where NPC mineral mining has taken place. Regarding loot collecting, be careful about picking up illegal inventory items if you don't want potential hostility from sector authorities. For example, lodestones are not illegal inventory wares but the spacefly eggs and unstable crystals also left around after mining usually are in Commonwealth sectors.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Thu, 19. Aug 21, 05:08

I have a full rundown on how to steal blueprints, using EMP bombs, in my signature... it mentions how to scan for leaks, shows pictures of what you are looking for, how to build emp bombs, all that stuff. Pretty in-depth....

As for signal leaks, there are two indications given when you are near one that are not visible. You'll get an audio indication that you can hear, and it gets louder as it get close. And if you have your cockpit view on, look under the hull/shield indicator, and you'll see a little sine wave, that will get more agitated as you get near to a signal leak. I say if you have the cockpit on, because you can disable the cockpit view... which I do, which really helps with visually finding a signal leak. Ships like the Nodan though have such a good cockpit view with the cockpit on, I find them ideal for hunting signal leaks in the early game.

Personally I'll fly super low in close to the station, at around 60-80ms... each station usually has 2-3 mission leaks... the mission leaks are the "sparklers in space". A station can also have a bunch of data leaks, which are the small red pulses. I'd pretty much skip flying around the production modules to start with. Stick to flying around the storage units, the hab modules, the connector modules, stuff like that. Production modules are often weirdly shaped and can hide the leaks in a bunch of places. All the rest of the modules for the most part are pretty easy to fly along. If you fly too fast, you won't be near enough to a leak long enough to hear it, that's why I go pretty slow. Defense modules are your best friend... they tend to have plenty of both types of leaks, and are usually easy to spot. I'll make one scan on the top of a level of a station, then I'll flip to the underside. Underside of docking modules are also a good place to find data/signal leaks. Finding a signal leak on trading stations or shipyards is a real chore, I'd avoid them for the most part completely. Defense platforms are great for finding and opening up black markets... as they have no other traffic going to/from usually, they're ripe for your ships to get in easily and sell illicit goods. And they're small with few actual modules, so it's relatively easy to find a mission leak... you just gotta pray to RNG jesus that one of the missions is for a black market.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”