Mining "The Void"

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

JonnyRocket72
x4

Mining "The Void"

Post by JonnyRocket72 » Mon, 3. May 21, 02:14

Anyone found a safe way to mine this otherwise hazardous area?

Also, when you dispatch a resource probe. What amount of concentration makes a site worth mining? like is it worth mining Nividium when it's .006 vs .0006 ? I guess I don't know what is a reasonable concentration of any particular resource.. Would you mine an area of Nividium @ .009?

Thank you!

Raptor34
x4

Re: Mining "The Void"

Post by Raptor34 » Mon, 3. May 21, 06:32

I mine it by not being there.
Even L miners don't work I think, ignoring the drones, even L shields seems to melt quickly.

Mondgnomes
x4

Post by Mondgnomes » Mon, 3. May 21, 13:39

Mine OOS. If you are OOS, no damage is applied to your miners. If i have to travel through The Void, i do it OOS as well, and teleport back into my ship after the zone.

But, finish Genesis quest before you start mining there.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Mon, 3. May 21, 14:55

Station attached miners will not mine in the Void, period. I giess there is some station logic somewhere that managers avoid the Void.

Free miners can mine in the void if there are resource probes dropped on high yeild areas.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Mon, 3. May 21, 16:52

They mine there fine if you build the stations inside.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Mon, 3. May 21, 18:30

Raptor34 wrote:
Mon, 3. May 21, 16:52
They mine there fine if you build the stations inside.
Thank you for that,
I've spent many hours trying to get my miners to go to The Void,
miners for mineral 'way-stations' actually in the sector work well.
For transferring minerals/methane to other stations (manual buy/sell price settings dependant).

L-shields seem to be un-affected (so far) by danger-zone.

Wondering if there really is some deliberate default built-in 'blacklist' on The Void,
& if so, why ?

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Mon, 3. May 21, 18:41

exogenesis wrote:
Mon, 3. May 21, 18:30
Dunno about that. When I went there for Project Genesis my L miners' shields dropped rapidly. And those were Hokkaidos with TER Mk. 2 shields. Or Mk. 3. The max L shields PIO sells.
It was down to 80% hull by the time I left. But was not in render range all the time. Still fairly alarming.

JonnyRocket72
x4

Post by JonnyRocket72 » Wed, 5. May 21, 01:37

Is it worth mining Nividium when it's .006 vs .0006 ? I guess I don't know what is a *reasonable* concentration of any particular resource.. Would you mine an area of Nividium @ .009?

Thank you!

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 5. May 21, 03:54

Nividium is in such low concentrations it pretty much gets depleted per zone every time a ship mines it. It then takes a long time to recover, based on the resource field configurations and usually in the order of a day or so.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 7. May 21, 00:28

exogenesis wrote:

Thank you for that,
I've spent many hours trying to get my miners to go to The Void,
miners for mineral 'way-stations' actually in the sector work well.
For transferring minerals/methane to other stations (manual buy/sell price settings dependant).

Wondering if there really is some deliberate default built-in 'blacklist' on The Void,
& if so, why ?
There IS a checkbox for this. I can't remember whether it's in the empire-wide options or in the blacklists. There's a "avoid dangerous areas" checkbox or something.
I do think it's in the blacklists. IIRC in my game I had it included with my "avoid enemy sectors" blacklists. Took me a while to figure it out.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Wheem
x4

Post by Wheem » Sat, 8. May 21, 10:44

JonnyRocket72 wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 01:37
Is it worth mining Nividium when it's .006 vs .0006 ? I guess I don't know what is a *reasonable* concentration of any particular resource.. Would you mine an area of Nividium @ .009?

Thank you!
In my experience, nividium mining just simply doesn't make economic sense anymore. As Imperial Good mentions, the concentrations are extremely low in every location that I've personally seen, and the amount that your ship(s) will come away with is extremely small. Currently, you'll be better off having your miners go for ore/silicon instead, and getting nividium through war missions for L-class mining ships which come with 2,500 in their cargo hold. That can provide you both with some money from selling it, or what you need for some of the HQ's teleportation research (though mining only 50 for one of the research stages shouldn't be that hard).

It might also be possible to come up with a decent amount of nividium through personally mining it yourself, but I haven't tried that.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Sat, 8. May 21, 14:22

Ezarkal wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 00:28
exogenesis wrote:
& if so, why ?
There IS a checkbox for this. I can't remember whether it's in the empire-wide options or in the blacklists. There's a "avoid dangerous areas" checkbox or something.
I do think it's in the blacklists. IIRC in my game I had it included with my "avoid enemy sectors" blacklists. Took me a while to figure it out.
Yes, the check box for blacklisting 'Sectors containing dangerous regions' is in the 'Travel' part of
'Player Information'/'Global Orders'/'Blacklists'

It seems to be unchecked by default, so by default travel to The Void is not restricted.

However this only covers Travel, the other parts 'Activities' (like mining?) and 'Trade' do not have this checkbox.

So I can't see why the high-resource sector The Void gets avoided by my mining ships
- unless I put a mining station in the sector,
and only ships from that station mine in The Void...

Raptor34 wrote:
Mon, 3. May 21, 18:41
exogenesis wrote:
Dunno about that. When I went there for Project Genesis my L miners' shields dropped rapidly. And those were Hokkaidos with TER Mk. 2 shields. Or Mk. 3. The max L shields PIO sells.
It was down to 80% hull by the time I left. But was not in render range all the time. Still fairly alarming.
I've had no shield damage at all after quite some time mining the void (with an in-sector station),
I think the hazardous region is quite small, & the plot directs you to that spot specifically.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Mon, 10. May 21, 21:42

exogenesis wrote:
Sat, 8. May 21, 14:22
Ezarkal wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 00:28
exogenesis wrote:
& if so, why ?
Yes, the check box for blacklisting 'Sectors containing dangerous regions' is in the 'Travel' part of
'Player Information'/'Global Orders'/'Blacklists'

It seems to be unchecked by default, so by default travel to The Void is not restricted.

However this only covers Travel, the other parts 'Activities' (like mining?) and 'Trade' do not have this checkbox.

So I can't see why the high-resource sector The Void gets avoided by my mining ships
- unless I put a mining station in the sector,
and only ships from that station mine in The Void...
Weird. Unchecking this box solved the issue for me at first. My ships were happily mining The Void... and getting wrecked by Xenons harassing the sector, or by the danger zones whenever I was travelling through myself.
Perhaps "activities" is considered a subsection of "travel"? As in: you can't perform activities in a sector you can't travel to?
:?

Still, now I'm managing all my mining via blacklists. I find it just works better.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”